Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metalman Bar Closing Down

• 09-04-2019 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭

I see via Facebook the Metalman bar on the Quay is to close this coming Saturday, April 13th. They stated they're going to concentrate on the brewery instead. While I've been in there a few times (I live in Dublin these days) and enjoyed the selection of beer there was always something a bit wrong with the place. It always seemed way too quiet both in relation to music and customers.

While it probably wasn't in the best area of town for footfall I think they missed a trick with not being ambitious enough to start with, especially after seeing what YellowBelly have done with O'Grady's Yard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

yeah always seemed quite and some of the game nights/gigs they ran didnt hit off

These craft beer places seem too struggle too keep open for some reason ??.The beerkeeper(formely Thirsty Scholar) closed a few weeks ago. Do like Gradys yard but can be too quite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

I think the modern day 'craft' beer bars all all a bit samey and a template of each other, all doing the same thing, board games/retro game nights/pizza /wings etc.

Philly's can't be beaten for character and no new pub will ever match that, that's the diff between it and a newer pub. Can't comment on Grady's haven't been in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

dzilla wrote: »
    I think the modern day 'craft' beer bars all all a bit samey and a template of each other, all doing the same thing, board games/retro game nights/pizza /wings etc.

Philly's can't be beaten for character and no new pub will ever match that, that's the diff between it and a newer pub. Can't comment on Grady's haven't been in there.

places that transitioned into becoming craft/semi craft bars done it very well eg Revs, Grimes, Downes, Tullys etc and the new places opening up struggle too attract cause its nothing really new

No craft pubs in Ballybricken/Barrack Street/Yellow road area and there doing quite well. Real Waterford none of that fancy ****e lol

do like trying out new places though

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Was in there a couple of times, the brewer woman Grainne was always great if she was working but the rest of the young wans weren't overly interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

91wx763 wrote: »
    Was in there a couple of times, the brewer woman Grainne was always great if she was working but the rest of the young wans weren't overly interested.

Agree, herself and her husband are lovely and I enjoyed it there in general, but yeah sometimes other staff /times there were lacking in something.I was in there once and the tom waits music was just a little too downbeat when out for a few good beers and laughs, last time had to leave after one because band was deafening.its hard to find right little niche/atmosphere in a tough game. Shame,i liked it in general.Drink local all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Hardly ever anybody in there when I walked past. Only time I was in there there were only two other people there. It was dead, no atmosphere at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

When it was good it was good but it felt at times as if it was the brewery’s own private pub, staff seemed more interested in themselves than customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

PTH2009 wrote: »
    places that transitioned into becoming craft/semi craft bars done it very well eg Revs, Grimes, Downes, Tullys etc and the new places opening up struggle too attract cause its nothing really new

No craft pubs in Ballybricken/Barrack Street/Yellow road area and there doing quite well. Real Waterford none of that fancy ****e lol

do like trying out new places though

This is the way forward. Local bars serving mix of usual and craft beers. Too niche otherwise, unless you live in Berlin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

bullpost wrote: »
    This is the way forward. Local bars serving mix of usual and craft beers. Too niche otherwise, unless you live in Berlin :)

While they're in Dublin, none of the Porterhouse pubs serve mainstream beers.

If you ask for Heineken or Guinness you'll get whatever they recommend is closest to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Was in there a while back and the smell of toilets would've knocked you down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Was in there a while back and the smell of toilets would've knocked you down.

Always been an issue in there as long as it a public house.

Advertisement