Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smallest ever footballer/hurler

Options
  • 07-04-2019 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Who is the shortest of short asses to grace the fields of play....? Will start off with Seanie o’leary....he definitely looked short but maybe the camera lies.....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Fan Larkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

Joe Deane, former Cork hurler 5 foot 7 i think.
    Mickey Graham Cavan manager and former Cavan footballer 5 foot 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭flos1964

Offaly hero Johnny Flaherty ...5 foot 7 .

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

I think Willie Quinlan was being generous saying that he was 5' 7"!
    What a player though!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/where-are-they-now-29278195.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

tanko wrote: »
    Joe Deane, former Cork hurler 5 foot 7 i think.
    Mickey Graham Cavan manager and former Cavan footballer 5 foot 8.

5"8 is hardly that exceptional, most teams would have a lad that size in the team. Not that small at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Fan Larkin.

Has to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Mark Bradley from Tyrone is 5' 6" and there's probably a good few smaller than that.

The average height in Ireland is 5' 9" so I'm sure 5' 7" and 5' 8" would be fairly common.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭supernova5

John Small, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Kevin Broderick was hurling for Galway on the late 90s early 00s - not a tall man but deadly with the ball....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Fan Larkin.

Wikipedia has him as 5'4'' so take that with a pinch of salt. I'm sure he was less than 5'7'' when he was playing inter county.

• Advertisement

Wikipedia has him as 5'4'' so take that with a pinch of salt. I'm sure he was less than 5'7'' when he was playing inter county.

I met him a few times, and I'd say 5' 4 would be accurate enough. Great hurler.

Corner and wing backs were often smaller chaps back in the day. Anyone with height and bulk was in the central spine. Dublin teams in 50s and 60s would generally have been thought to have been on the light side but always had big tough lads like Lar and the Timmons and Monks and others. Des Foley did not have Lar's reputation, but was well able to look after himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Fan Larkin.

He played hurling and football so that has to be worth bonus points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Fan was told by the heads in croke park that he was to sit down when team photos were taken, the late paddy grace told him that the county board was sent a letter about it. The pair of them came to a decession that Fan would stand at the end of the photo beside Frank Cummins, or Kieran Purcell because they were bigger men. It used to be a sight when he was marking Ray Cummins of Cork he used his cutness to now end.

My favourite Fan story is after one final - might have been 1975 - he was stopped after the match by Mick Dunne to say a few words but he told him that he couldn't stop because he had to go to Mass!

True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

jr86 wrote: »
    5"8 is hardly that exceptional, most teams would have a lad that size in the team. Not that small at all

A 5"8 player would look small enough out there with a big team though.
    Just did a quick wiki search on "small" players that came to mind... Peter Canavan 5"9, Jayo 5"8, Declan Browne 5"9.... all came to mind as small for me anyway.

Maybe lads grow a few inches on wiki?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Davy Fitzgerald. 4'9. But with the specially made insoles hes 5,5

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Genie Farrell played with Kerry in the mid 90s

Has two Sigerson medals with Tralee IT as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Eoin McGrath (Waterford)

DJ and Richie Hogan be average enough height.

It is not as much a feature of hurling as football. There have been some brilliant corner forwards and wing forwards of smaller stature in last 20 year, including the above. Joe Deane who someone mentioned and our own Dotsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭supernova5

Cathal [Tots] O' Connell - Clare

5ft 3ins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Lads,

You can't trust any official figures. Remember there is a lot of embellishment out there.

I personally know some well known All Ireland winning inter county players from over the years who appeared as well over 6 foot in official match programs and the like. Now I'm 5'10 and I can tell you for nothing they are no more 6'1 or 6'2 than I am. I will keep the names to myself.

The same goes on in rugby.

That is certainly true. One Dublin player not long retired was in programmes at 6 foot. Know him well and he is same height as myself and I am not six foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

supernova5 wrote: »
    Cathal [Tots] O' Connell - Clare

5ft 3ins

winner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Sylvie Linnane.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

Current Dublin footballer Eoin Murchan. 5 foot 5 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭1373

Declan brown

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Danville

My favourite Fan story is after one final - might have been 1975 - he was stopped after the match by Mick Dunne to say a few words but he told him that he couldn't stop because he had to go to Mass!

True story.

Before the All-Ireland final 72? where he was full back and marked Ray Cummins who was 6'3" an interviewer asked him how he would handle Ray who "would be catching the ball in the clouds", Fan replied "He has to land, doesn't he"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

That is certainly true. One Dublin player not long retired was in programmes at 6 foot. Know him well and he is same height as myself and I am not six foot!

Funnily enough 12 years ago I was at a conference in Dublin at the Westbury and at the lunch I happened to be sitting next to a current Dublin footballer of the day. To be honest I didn't know him from Adam during lunch and chit chatted away as you do. It transpired that it was indeed X footballer. As I mentioned I am 5'10 and this footballer was at the very max the same height as me and I would say perhaps an inch or so shorter as we stood next to each other chatting for a bit.

Now a few months later during the Championship the same footballer was listed as 6'1...:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tommy Dowd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Jasmine brennan kilkenny only 5'6 I think.

Advertisement