Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tallest ever footballer / hurler.....?

Options
  • 07-04-2019 6:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

O’halpins come to mind.....that ‘santy’ Guy was 6’ 8’’ or something and ’’osacky’’ was massive also.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Deiselurker

Mark Foley Cork hurler from 1990 All Ireland winning team would be one of the tallest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Both o'hAilpins are about 6"6

Michael Cussen immediately springs to mind - he'd be a good 6"7

St Thomas's hurlers in Galway currently have a sub who would be a good 6"7 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Road-Hog wrote: »
    O’halpins come to mind.....that ‘santy’ Guy was 6’ 8’’ or something and ’’osacky’’ was massive also.......

Saying their names like that is bad form and a bit racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

BloodyBill wrote: »

Give it up, stop trying to be offended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Tommy Dwyer the former Carlow Footballer was 6 foot 7. I’d say that puts him up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Michael Quirke (Kerry) was also 6'7" (according to wiki anyways(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Think John Harrington, Wexford County team footballer in the 90s was 6'6". Passed away suddenly this year aged only 51.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

There was a guy that played midfield for Carlow, that I remember being a good bit taller than everyone one else on the field, mid to late 80’s.
    I would have seen him up against Hayes and McEntee for Meath, Hayes was 6’4” I think and this lad was a good bit taller. Nearly sure his name was O’Dwyer or Dwyer.

Just seen post above naming him Tommy Dwyer

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Give it up, stop trying to be offended

Their names are Setanta and Aisake. It is definitely patronising and racist to mix up their name in a jokey manner.
    I'm not offended at all. I'm a conservative and totally against the social justice warrior agenda but It's just stupid and wrong to do this.
    Kyle Hayes is 6'7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Their names are Setanta and Aisake. It is definitely patronising and racist to mix up their name in a jokey manner.
    I'm not offended at all. I'm a conservative and totally against the social justice warrior agenda but It's just stupid and wrong to do this.
    Kyle Hayes is 6'7.

Did you complain to RTÉ when Marty Morrissey, Cyril Farrell et al. used to refer to them in such a manner? Give it a rest you clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

I'm fairly tall at around 6'4" and Michael Cussen made me feel tiny when I stood beside him. 6'7 is very tall... The guy is over 2 meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

from recent times wexfords matty forde was 6ft 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Kyle Hayes is 6'7.

6'3 seems to be his reported height. Which having seen him up close a few times, is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Niall Murray played minor for Roscommon https://www.irishrugby.ie/u20/niall-murray/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Motivator wrote: »
    Did you complain to RTÉ when Marty Morrissey, Cyril Farrell et al. used to refer to them in such a manner? Give it a rest you clown.

Cyril used to refer to setanta as ‘santy’.........I’ve never come across anyone else called ‘setanta’ has anyone else...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Can you elaborate please especially regarding the racist bit......last time I checked the o’halpins were Irish....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Liam McHale, hup Mayo !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Get a grip man!

Santy was/is Setanta's nickname with his friends and clubmates.

How the fk is it racist?

puzl wrote: »
    I'm fairly tall at around 6'4" and Michael Cussen made me feel tiny when I stood beside him. 6'7 is very tall... The guy is over 2 meters.

Cork footballers 5/6 years ago were huge fkers.

They came into the bar for their dinner after a game in CP around then and it was like being among a race of giants!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

6541 wrote: »
    Liam McHale, hup Mayo !

Was going to mention him as well. Kieran Donaghy is a big man as well. Must be 6'5 or 6'6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭threeball

Johnny Glynn is 6' 6" and not a lanky 6' 6". The guy is monstrous. Paws like baseball mitts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Walter Walsh kilkenny, Ray Cummins Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Cyril used to refer to setanta as ‘santy’.........I’ve never come across anyone else called ‘setanta’ has anyone else...?

There was a Louth hurler back in the day... A bit of a legend, real dog in him.

Brian Begley, dual player with Limerick, was a giant of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Can you elaborate please especially regarding the racist bit......last time I checked the o’halpins were Irish....?

They are. They also happen to be mixed race, unlike most Irish people.

I'm sure Leo and the others are working on that :)

(Not that he will directly contribute obviously....)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Well he managed to make a dog's dinner of their very Irish surname too so I'd say he's just not great with names. He don't let it hold him back though, new threads Agogo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Well he managed to make a dog's dinner of their very Irish surname too so I'd say he's just not great with names. He don't let it hold him back though, new threads Agogo.

Setanta is also a very Irish name, but a lot of people seem to be ignorant of the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Kieran Donaghy 6' 5"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Tommy Dwyer the former Carlow Footballer was 6 foot 7. I’d say that puts him up there
    My father often talks about him, won man of the match v Dublin in a championship game in 1988 too seemingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Darach Honan is a big boy.

Advertisement