Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad drivers in town

• 02-04-2019 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Honestly what is it with the poor driving I see in town on a regular basis? This morning I was at the roundabout on the top of Newtown road heading towards Ardkeen, waiting for the traffic on my right to pass through as is the traffic law. This guy on the right eventually enters the roundabout and then stops halfway around and beckons me out in front of him almost causing the car behind to crash into the back of him! Wtf? I'd another near miss at that roundabout at Ardkeen village where I was turning right to go up to Aldi and some fella coming down from Ardkeen stores just drove straight through and beebed the horn at me as if I should be giving way! And don't get me started on people that think Manor Street inbound is now a dual lane street and try to overtake. I've plenty more stories as I'm sure you all have. I've only returned here after 10 years living abroad. Has it always been this bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ironic username.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Roundabouts are a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭RoamingDoc

Has it always been this bad?

Kind of, yes.

I tend to avoid the city as much as possible (not exclusively for this) but I don't feel it's dramatically worse.

Maybe the years abroad caused you to forget a little what it was like before?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

The planning is mostly atrocious and peoples behaviour is the same. There's the attitude of me before everyone else which doesn't help either. And a crazy number of people texting while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

The planning is mostly atrocious and peoples behaviour is the same. There's the attitude of me before everyone else which doesn't help either. And a crazy number of people texting while driving.

Everyone's need is greater than everyone else's.

The one that p*sses me off is the queue for the roundabout and then some smart-arse comes down the outside and does a lap and a half of the roundabout just to get ahead of everyone else.

The red-light bandits at the top of The Folly are a tragedy waiting to happen too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

My pet hate is coming in to town from Ferrybank in the mornings. On the dual carriageway approaching the bridge, there are two lanes. The outside lane(left) is for traffic going onto the outside(left) lane on the bridge(i.e. turning left on to the Quay). The inside(right) lane is for traffic which will go on to the inside(right) lane on the Bridge Street. Nearly always, the left outside queue will be way longer than the right inside lane. So, every morning, you'll have people who drive along the right inside lane and pass out everyone in the left outside lane. Then, of course, they put on their indicators and look to get into the left outside lane, having passed out everyone else. Queue jumpers!

Now, I'm normally more than happy to let people out. But not in this situation:mad:.

Now, I'm normally more than happy to let people out. But not in this situation:mad:.

+1 Just encourages them to keep doing it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

RoamingDoc wrote: »
    +1 Just encourages them to keep doing it tbh.

I'm living out West now but it's the same craic. There's a very bad habit here of drivers stopping in the middle of a roundabout to let pedestrians cross. Not at a zebra crossing now or anything. It's absolutely lethal. Almost rear ended a few cars because of it.

Asmodean wrote: »
    There's a very bad habit here of drivers stopping in the middle of a roundabout to let pedestrians cross.

:eek:

That's honestly very frightening.
    That's just asking for an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Today’s lesson - nobody has a clue how to use a roundabout. It’s a country wide problem.

• Advertisement

Are they actually useful though?

I know I prefer lighted junctions because they're safer (most of the time!) but is traffic flow better enough through a roundabout to justify them?

Feels like they're a measure of population control. Take out those who can't use and some unfortunates who happen to be nearby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Today’s lesson - nobody has a clue how to use a roundabout. It’s a country wide problem.

This,bad driving isnt unique to Waterford its country wide ,roundabouts, traffic lights very few people know how to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

The worst roundabouts seem to be the little discs in the middle of the road. Nobody seems to know what to do with them. Using indicators seems to be optional for many also.

I've seen people just drive straight over those.

I've come to the conclusion that indicators bulbs must be much more expensive than where I get mine. Only explanation why people would be trying to save them....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The roundabout near LIDL And SuperQuinn on your way up to the T&C Garage is lethal- the amount of people who ive had nearly slam into me whilst I had to stop and let someone cross that pedestrian crossing, absolutely awful place to put something like that and anybody not familiar with the town who is racing through that roundabout not expecting a crossing so soon will cause a pile up one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

Have 40+mins video of idiots on our roads after one week of using new dashcam.. that doesnt need aditional comment lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Idiots who wear ear phones, saw a complete wally in rear view mirror today, she wasn't wearing ear buds, a big set of dj style ear cans. She deserves stopping and licence revoked before she kills someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Max Powers wrote: »
    Idiots who wear ear phones, saw a complete wally in rear view mirror today, she wasn't wearing ear buds, a big set of dj style ear cans. She deserves stopping and licence revoked before she kills someone.

Yeah iv seen that alot myself. Idiots.

The best ones are cyclist with earphones..matter of time to feel touch of death there

I just dont understand one thing.. most of the newer cars have bluetooth..so why the hell i see the ppl driving with the bloody phone glued one their ear?? 181 range rover with blondie inside busy with her phone every fkn afternoon at gracedieu..why why whyyyyy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I just dont understand one thing.. most of the newer cars have bluetooth..so why the hell i see the ppl driving with the bloody phone glued one their ear?? 181 range rover with blondie inside busy with her phone every fkn afternoon at gracedieu..why why whyyyyy

I feel your pain but you have to remember common sense is not common anymore and people are fundamentally stupid. Had a near miss myself last night at that roundabout going into Johns Park, the one near the Golden Fry chipper. I was coming from Ballytruckle straight on to Johns Park and I looked right- nothing, So I went on and this car literally came from nowhere and zoomed into the roundabout despite me being on it- he must have been BOMBING it up the road and he flew past me up the Folley without even blinking- I would have crashed had I not stepped on the accelerator to get ahead of him.

Fcuk me, I hope he crashed down the line. Absolute pr!ck. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Max Powers wrote: »

While im not condoning people wearing earphones while driving i dont understand why they do,but is it any different from people blaring music out of their car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

While im not condoning people wearing earphones while driving i dont understand why they do,but is it any different from people blaring music out of their car?

Your right, probably similar, at least with music a bit louder than normal, you can still hear background/environment noise, ear buds and the likes are designed to keep that out off your ears.

Advertisement