Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus Online (non)Check-in with Passport Card

Options
  • 05-04-2019 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for this but given the obvious knowledge base in here it seems to be worth a post.

Anyway, I'm off to AMS this evening on EI610. The Dutch require API so I filled in as normal with my passport card details and it got spit out.

Now I found that curious as since I've gotten my passport card in March 2017 it has been the only travel document I've used as I haven't been outside of the EEA/CH since then.

However I have been on a hell of a lot of flights with a wide selection of airlines to a wide selection of cities both domestic and international in all that time and that's the first time it's been an issue. And I have done DUB-AMS a few times too!

So while it was wrecking my head it just flumoxxed how I have managed to not manage to have to enter API at check in with EI! I guess it's dumb luck that I haven't travelled with them to an API destination since?

Anyway, when this cropped up last night I found a Twitter thread going back to 2016 showing that they were "taking on the feedback and would pass those concerns on". There are posts from only last week relating to the same issue.

So obviously now I'm travelling on my passport this evening to ensure that I didn't have to leave work early get to the airport super early to check in with my card.

Does anyone know what the issue is with EI accepting them for online check-in?

FR and EZY (Why is there IATA code U2? :0 ) have no problems using it for online check-in. Even fellow Vueling were grand using it.

It just seems so bizarre. Especially seeing as it is an Irish airline with a difficulty using Irish issued documentation.

;TLDR, EI don't accept Irish passport cards for online check-in and it makes no sense to me.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I think you can used your passport details to check in online and then use your passport card to travel on.
    So if you have your passport details saved on your EI profile use that but present at the gate with your passport card. Not as idea but I’m fairly certain this works

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Locker10a wrote: »
    I think you can used your passport details to check in online and then use your passport card to travel on.
    So if you have your passport details saved on your EI profile use that but present at the gate with your passport card. Not as idea but I’m fairly certain this works

Aye. I know my passport details so that wasn't an issue, plus they defaulted into the empty cells, however I didn't want to risk that tbh.

I got the brother to come in with the passport to me anyway so I'm covered there.

I'll actually present the passport card as an experiment now to see if it's an issue.

Still doesn't explain the weird EI anomaly.

Aye. I know my passport details so that wasn't an issue, plus they defaulted into the empty cells, however I didn't want to risk that tbh.

I got the brother to come in with the passport to me anyway so I'm covered there.

I'll actually present the passport card as an experiment now to see if it's an issue.

Lodge it as a formal complaint on their website, it’s the only way things like this will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

How did you get on with the card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

It might be worth contacting https://twitter.com/dfatirl on Twitter and mentioning @AerLingus

Just to ensure its noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

J_A_F_A wrote: »
    How did you get on with the card?

Was grand and no one batted an eyelid.

Seems about pointless then that I can enter in my Passport no and travel on my passport card.

---

Was also handy when I got to Schiphol that I had my passport so I could go through the auto lane. But that's neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭PreCocious

Was grand and no one batted an eyelid.

Seems about pointless then that I can enter in my Passport no and travel on my passport card.

---

Was also handy when I got to Schiphol that I had my passport so I could go through the auto lane. But that's neither here nor there.

I was in the same situation last week. Had to use my passport for online check-in, used the passport card for boarding ID, used the passport to get through the automated gates in Schiphol, and the passport card for the manual gate in Schiphol and Cork on the return journey. The card did provoke a bit of interest at passport control with loads of close inspection and a couple of drops (presumably to see if it bounced).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I often do this, I fly quite regularly and do the online check in using my passport number as I have the details memorised but then when I turn up at the airport I use my passport card to board and again at passport control as it's easier to take out of my pocket. The only time I use my passport is if the queue for the machines looks quicker.
    Multiple airlines, multiple airports, many years, no one's ever queried it...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I got caught with this last year, flying home with Vueling and Aer Lingus, with not enough of a stopover time to exit and check in again in Barcelona. Couldn't figure out why I couldn't check in online and eventually had to ring them. They were supremely unhelpful, just saying more or less "that's how it is, tough".

I wound up using passport details to check in like so many others, but want sure how it would go.

They should at least make it clear before travel that you can't use the card to check in! I'd have brought my passport had I known.

Anteayer wrote: »
    It might be worth contacting https://twitter.com/dfatirl on Twitter and mentioning @AerLingus

Just to ensure its noticed.

I think this is pretty useless, I understand they only register issues if it’s submitted via formal complaints on their website, this and also the surveys they send out after your trip are the best “listening” places for such feedback

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

They do listen to and respond to social media. So do Aer Lingus.
    Might be no harm including @NLinIreland and @IrelandinNL Irish embassy in NL

Advertisement