Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EI209

Somebody actually won the secret sound! Finally! It was a Yorkshire Pudding being squashed 😂
    https://twitter.com/corksredfm/status/1114083850802561024?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

EI209 wrote: »
    Somebody actually won the secret sound! Finally! It was a Yorkshire Pudding being squashed 😂
    https://twitter.com/corksredfm/status/1114083850802561024?s=21

And a new one starts next week. 😱 I hate that feature and it's been done to death...surely they can do something else for a while.

IUA14 wrote: »
    And a new one starts next week. 😱 I hate that feature and it's been done to death...surely they can do something else for a while.

Bring back 'The Gauntlet'

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

And a new one starts next week. �� I hate that feature and it's been done to death...surely they can do something else for a while.

Not a fan of the feature and Foley was dead set against it when he joined RedFM he took the p!ss out of it continuously but his interactions with the people ringing in are brilliant, he always manages to make it fun.

Just heard an old Gauntlet of Ann Gleeson's from years ago and now I'm feeling all nostalgic!

I love Breakfast with Ray and Jay, it's w great show on a good station but if I could chose one additional feature to bring back from the old Lunchtime show on Today FM it'd have to be the Gauntlet.

• Advertisement

Its mornings like today I get the Secret Sound feature, get someone on the phone to chat and it spins off into something else. The lads had me laughing my ass off on the way to work with the Benecol stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

One of Rays biggest strengths is taken the most minute detail and running a tangent off it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Its mornings like today I get the Secret Sound feature, get someone on the phone to chat and it spins off into something else. The lads had me laughing my ass off on the way to work with the Benecol stuff!

It's one of the main reasons I went over to KC & Ross so one good morning in 18 months isn't going to change that for me unfortunately, that along with Jay being late & not turning up, 99% female callers and prize winners, 7 o clock show plugging and Ray regularly & blatantly broadcasting from Dublin while pretending he's across the desk from Jay I just couldn't listen anymore.

It's one of the main reasons I went over to KC & Ross so one good morning in 18 months isn't going to change that for me unfortunately, that along with Jay being late & not turning up, 99% female callers and prize winners, 7 o clock show plugging and Ray regularly & blatantly broadcasting from Dublin while pretending he's across the desk from Jay I just couldn't listen anymore.
    Ross Browne is insufferable

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Ross Browne is insufferable

I agree but when KC can get him to take a back seat it's a great show.
    Also some of Ross's bits are genuinely funny like the Jeremy Kyle bit and Daithi O'Shea bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Benecol stuff was amazing. I feel like they had another tangent a few days ago too. Foley is really finding form again on RedFM. He really is loving radio again and it shows.

Forgot to mention the stupid o clock club which does exactly what it says on the tin. The same Stupid people texting in to get their name read out on air for some absolutely meaningless 5 seconds of fame that no one remembers or cares about.
    Was also in a different car this morning going to work and they had it on.
    Once again another female winner fest, a €400 Frank Clarke tool voucher for father's Day to a woman who didn't mention her father or get husband and another half a dozen women called out at the end of the show for next week's shows in Youghal.
    I think they've found their target demo.

Forgot to mention the stupid o clock club which does exactly what it says on the tin. The same Stupid people texting in to get their name read out on air for some absolutely meaningless 5 seconds of fame that no one remembers or cares about.
    Was also in a different car this morning going to work and they had it on.
    Once again another female winner fest, a €400 Frank Clarke tool voucher for father's Day to a woman who didn't mention her father or get husband and another half a dozen women called out at the end of the show for next week's shows in Youghal.
    I think they've found their target demo.

Foley has said many times he wants to ditch the stupid o clock thing but the people who like their name read out are a vocal bunch. And its 2/3 mins so not end of the world.

As for the 'female winner fest'...well for a fathers day prize its statistically more likely to be women entering no? So female winner seems about right. And it's the same on any radio show across the country for any family related prizes. Secret Sound winner in April was a lad if it makes ya feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I was reading recently that Ray has taken the plunge and now rents an apartment a stonesthrow from the Red studios Monday to Friday. Fair play, drives back to Dublin on a Friday then to host the Six O'Clock Show on TV3/Virgin.

Fingers crossed that should he have more free time during the week now that he might return to podcasting.

I was reading recently that Ray has taken the plunge and now rents an apartment a stonesthrow from the Red studios Monday to Friday. Fair play, drives back to Dublin on a Friday then to host the Six O'Clock Show on TV3/Virgin.

Fingers crossed that should he have more free time during the week now that he might return to podcasting.

Unfortunately he’s been renting that apartment for over two years. So there’s no sign of NTN coming back. JP and Adele and nordy Eoin are all too busy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Loughc wrote: »
    Unfortunately he’s been renting that apartment for over two years. So there’s no sign of NTN coming back. JP and Adele and nordy Eoin are all too busy

Even worse is that there's no sign of the old episodes online, only listened to them the once, why the hell didn't I download em!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Six O'clock show is only on Mon-Thur now, so when Ray drives back to Dublin Friday he is going straight home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I went back and checked the article I had read. It was from September 2017! D'oh!

Interesting events at Today FM...Muireann 'fired' in her own words and Mairead Ronan taking over. Louise Duffy out too. Still the same boss there who screwed over Foley when he left 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭buster180

Interesting events at Today FM...Muireann 'fired' in her own words and Mairead Ronan taking over. Louise Duffy out too. Still the same boss there who screwed over Foley when he left 98.

Thats terrible. The station started to go downhill after Foley left for 98fm. Also getting rid of Anton Savage was massive mistake. The new bloke in charge of the station seems to be a bit of a tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jackmcc

"The new bloke" has been ruining the station for a few years now. It's not the presenters that the issue, its the person running the station.

Anyway, did anyone here the podcast Ray did on the RedFM feed? It was just a long ad for the centre parks thing, but still great to hear him off the leash a little, without breaking for music or ads.

How’d the lads fare in the JNLRs?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    How’d the lads fare in the JNLRs?

No idea, Red saying its number 1 across the whole day still including breakfast and 96FM saying KC is 5k listeners ahead (in what category I have no idea)...somehow I don't believe that given it would be a massive swing book to book. Might find out tomorrow in the Examiner or Echo or Red FM usually give figures in their bulletins.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

yeah as head of programming on Today Fm and is helping drive that station into the ground.

By way of an update:

https://twitter.com/rayfoleyshow/status/1156984657646407681

96FM just say that KC and Ross are the most listened to but no figures.

Most listened too in over 65 age category?

Judging from the BAI graphics they put out that's about the only category they are ahead of Red

Judging from the BAI graphics they put out that's about the only category they are ahead of Red

And the least attractive from potential advertising buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

At some point 96fm will have to get more than the couple of now that’s what I call music CDs that make up their music library.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    At some point 96fm will have to get more than the couple of now that’s what I call music CDs that make up their music library.

Send all complaints to HollywoodSteveHayes@96fm.ie

Advertisement