Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

October 2019 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yeah so had our first hospital appointment today and scan.. Delighted to finally see the baby, which I am convinced is a boy... Had to eventually get an internal scan (which isnt bad at all) because it was right under my belly button and she could not get a clear shot, but all is good.. Due date as of today is the 23rd of October!!

Long day at the hospital now between getting checked in and bloods, so we all went to celebrate after with a loverly dinner.. And yes we did bring the little one with us as we had no choice and we were'nt scorned or shunned out of the place... She was a gem... Hope everyone else is doing great

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Have many of ye guys started to show yet?

Im begining to show a little bit, not i had weight still so maybe that makes it worse but last night the belly really did look like a baby belly.. No sure is it differant on the 2nd or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

I look huge at the moment but I think it's just bloating because I have actually lost weight since I found out I was pregnant becasue of the nausea and vommiting! It looks more like I had a big meal than a bump!

Wish I was like you, after piling on the weight i just cant stop eating.. Trying to fill myself up on drinks but i just crave all the foods out there.. Ah the bump will arrive soon, it is so nice when it does

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    Wish I was like you, after piling on the weight i just cant stop eating.. Trying to fill myself up on drinks but i just crave all the foods out there.. Ah the bump will arrive soon, it is so nice when it does

Ha and I wish I was like you, I would love to be able to eat and drink normally! Started medication today for the nausea and vommiting so hoping it will work and I will feel human again soon.

Ah we women never win do we, there is always a better haha.. Hope you get some relief with the medication now, can I ask what the doc gave you? Just out of curiosity now...

I swear i could just eat all day (sorry i know that doesnt make you feel better) but tis mad and I dont exactly have the give to put on extra.. God news is this time round I got accepted to the midwives clinic which hopefully will be so much easier than having to go to town, bugger is something must have shown up in the pee test so got a letter saying i must do another. Still wondering what they found or didnt find, hopefully tis nought

Gave me two different drugs one for the nausea and one that reduces acid. The one for the nausea is stemetil and I am not sure of the other one will check it out. A bit early to say but they appear to be making some difference.

Hopefully it's nothing try not worry. Kidney infections are very common so it might just be that.

ah thank you always good to know stuff.. Fingers crossed they are working, i am sure it would be very welcome to get rid of it. must be a bugger...

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Just joining in here now (Had to change my username as my previous name was very similar to my actual name). I'm due my first on the 22nd of October.

I've had 2 scans already, one at 9 weeks as i had to fly to boston for work so they wanted to see me early and make sure i took precautions, it was just a broadbean then with a hearbeat. Yesterday i had the 12 week scan and we now had arms, legs and a head all moving about having a whale of a time. Really looked like a baby

So sorry to hear about those of you who are having terrible morning sickness, it must be so hard not being able to tell people why you are so unwell.

• Advertisement

Congratulations! Great to have the scan at 9 weeks to reassure you and see the big changes then by 12 weeks! I had scans at 8, 10 and 12 an weeks and couldn't believe the difference each time. It's wonderful to see.

Hello can i type P&C as i am not even going to try and spell it properly without looking above haha.. Congrats to you and ye!! It is so magical isnt it seeing the changes.. Really hits home when you see them.. Hope the flight to Boston went well for you..

Wait until ye see the 21 week scan it is just wow.. So weird to see...

Starlady how are the drugs working out for you?
    Mildly I’m sure it’s nothing, stuff often shows up in urine and it’s ususlly an anamoly but better safe then sorry.

I’ve another scan in 5 weeks so will be interesting to see the difference there

Loads of scans, that is one thing I kinda miss with going public maybe that there isnt many scans. Especially at the start... You will have loads of pics you could do one of those lovely framed pics of them all..

The doc rang well the nurse (kinda silly as they didnt even know why the test was dropped back even though i said it to reception) but the first test there showed nothing and they sent it to the lab to see. So hopefully nothing, was thinking i didnt do the mid stream thing so maybe that was it..

Actually thinking my boobs are getting bigger already, which never happened with my first and my milk wasnt great for her... Went into Lidl yesterday and well worth a look for anyone the little suits they have are great and natural cloths.. Some good deals on pants for 1.50 i think it was, and picked up one of the maternity dresses, so soft. Also for anyone thinking of using Tommee Tippe the bottles for 11.99 are actually a steal well worth picking up.

That’s good that everything looks clear now anyway.

Yes I saw Lidl were doing the baby stuff and I sent my husband to get the thermometer. I’m wary of buying anything for the baby yes as I haven’t told my family yet. Once I announce I know they will give me loads of stuff and I just don’t want to be wasteful.

Also we plan on finding out the sex (but keeping it to ourselves) so the few bits I will buy won’t have to be gender neutral.

Oh that will be fun announcing to the family!! We had to tell ours a little early as family were over and there was no way i would get away without questions being asked..

Very true with all the stuff there is so much out there you dont even need, tis mad. I called into a nursery store recently Bella Baby they are loverly in there, but was looking at the buggys again thinking double buggy the prices are just crazy 1,400 i think basic for these Icandys, madness well to me anywho...

Those thermos are a great buy and the little Tommee pack with the nail clippers, snot sucker (ick) and travel thermo they are very handy to have in the baby bag

Yeah I’ve noticed there’s a mad amount of marketing around babies. My eldest niece is 18 now and there wasn’t half as much pressure to spend then that there is now.
    The buggy we use is whichever one gets handed down to us. I’ll just get a new car seat.

It is like going shopping for a new car... The best ones yet I must say are the machines to make the bottles. They still baffle me as it seems to make a lot more sense to just make the bottles in one go rather than making as you go along... But sure everything sells..

Im half half with the car seats, I get why they say to buy new but also if you know where it is coming from then all good. Halfords surprisingly enough have good offers on car seats, if ye know which one ye want and keep an eye on the site..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Milly33 , what will your age gap be? I had a 20 month gap and bought a second hand double... very glad I just bought second hand because it's rarely used. Older boy hates getting in a buggy now so we mainly use a buggy board, or the single buggy with baby in sling.

Hi catrionanic great to know thank you. I was thinking the same that we would put herself on the buggy board but I dont think it would work well with the baby jogger buggy we have not sure now, but for some reason i dont see it working... Or that we could use the ergo for herself or the baby and put the other in the buggy.. Thank you so much as i said this and then when I mentioned it of course the sales lady was suggestion once the toddler sees the baby in the buggy, she will want to go in also...

Ill have to do me maths there now, but there will be a year and 10mths, so 22mths(is that right haha)... Was looking at the baby jogger double new which isnt too mad, but the Icandy one I was like really do people spend that much money on them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Yeah it's mad money! I think if you were having twins it would be worth it maybe, as you would get two to three full years out of a double. But with siblings, you're unlikely to be using the double for that long, unless your gap is super tiny.

I mean, the double does have its uses. Long walks, where the toddler won't be happy on the board for that long, or times when you just need to restrain your toddler when out and about eg on the bus or in the supermarket! So I still wouldn't be without one. But I also wouldn't be buying new. Second hand for sure. I'm going to sell ours on within the next year and will probably get my money back on it when I do! We have a mountain buggy duet.

I've been lurking in this thread since it was created, because my baby was October 2018!

Just looking at the mountain one there, did you find it a problem getting it in and out of doors. it is quite like the city mini double? Haha let me know when your selling we might not have got one by then, could have a buyer..

Thanks again really helpfull info, me thinks we shall hold off for a while and then like that look at second hand ones if we need one no point jumping the gun with it...God two of them and tantrums, I think i would be one of those people who park them up someplace safe of course, and wait for them to calm down whilst pretending they arent mine... I hope the 2s arent terrible we have been so blessed with herself

For those of you who already have a child. How long were you able to stay in your regular clothes for your first one?

I know jeans and more restrictive items are out pretty quickly. However the majority of my wardrobe is dresses and for work I generally wear wrap dresses and a jacket. I’m hoping to get to 6-7 months with these, just using maternity cami’s to allow for stretch. Am I deluded?

For reference I’m quite tall 5 10 and a good size 14

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

For those of you who already have a child. How long were you able to stay in your regular clothes for your first one?

I know jeans and more restrictive items are out pretty quickly. However the majority of my wardrobe is dresses and for work I generally wear wrap dresses and a jacket. I’m hoping to get to 6-7 months with these, just using maternity cami’s to allow for stretch. Am I deluded?

For reference I’m quite tall 5 10 and a good size 14

I'm 30 weeks pregnant on Monday (with my first) and still wearing most of my "normal" dresses. I'm 5'9" and a size 12 so not too different to you. What I did need to get about 2 weeks ago are maternity tights and maternity leggings as the normal ones started getting too tight, especially when sitting down at work all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

I know this might seem really silly, but I'm really overwhelmed about being pregnant.

The non stop morning sickness has really gotten me down. I'm scared of my body changing and child birth. I'm a first time mum and I really haven't a clue how to mind a new born.

I wish I could go with the flow but there's so much to learn and I feel lost ☹️

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I'm 30 weeks pregnant on Monday (with my first) and still wearing most of my "normal" dresses. I'm 5'9" and a size 12 so not too different to you. What I did need to get about 2 weeks ago are maternity tights and maternity leggings as the normal ones started getting too tight, especially when sitting down at work all day!

That’s great to hear. I’d planned on getting tights and under garments but hate the thought of spending loads on work clothes that I’ll get hardly any wear out of. At least casual stuff I’d probably be wearing for a while afterwards.

I know this might seem really silly, but I'm really overwhelmed about being pregnant.

The non stop morning sickness has really gotten me down. I'm scared of my body changing and child birth. I'm a first time mum and I really haven't a clue how to mind a new born.

You are not alone. I am resolutely sticking my head in the sand about childbirth as I know the more I know the worse I will dread it.

When I first realised I was pregnant, I wasn’t even excited as I’d just started a new job. we had been trying for over 18 months and I’d just assumed that I’d need ivf or some help( had already started with testing) and had it all timetabled out in my head. I’m over that now though and am very happy.

The morning sickness will definitely affect your mood too. Have you had any scans yet?

For the clothes one now I will say i am not the most fashionable person in the world but dress nicely and never got the maternity clothes, bar those bits in Lidl. Dont wear skinny jeans or leggings so got away with that. But tis up to you.

Great tip was bra extenders, a friend said it to me. Rather than going out buying new bras (in anticipation that the boobs are going to get bigger and also for breast feeding) call into Pennys and pick up a few packs of the bra extenders 2euro... Saved a fortune, my boobs never changed size just got a bit bigger around the sides so the extenders were great, also with the maternity bras just pick up a few cheap and cheerfull ones until the milk actually comes in, and you do decide to defiantly breast feed as they are quite expensive..

iwishihadaname - your not silly! It is a massive thing to do and you always hear of other women of course having babies, but when it is you and your body it is completely different.. This is your temple and there is something in there you are expected to know what to do with and also push out from down there!! haha scary stuff, will say it is amazing what your body can do and when it all happens and in a few months you will just feel great (hopefully)... Super woman is every woman in the world.. It is just amazing what out bodies can do, and to think men die with man flu!!

Feel free to tell me all aswell if i am being annoying, just my twopence from being a new mum last year.. But might be a good idea to pick up a good book about it all, the Pregnancy bible is very good, answers a lot of questions and is handy for later as it has a few things for common colds and that with kids.. When you google everything shows up so at least with a book, you get the basics..

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

That’s great to hear. I’d planned on getting tights and under garments but hate the thought of spending loads on work clothes that I’ll get hardly any wear out of. At least casual stuff I’d probably be wearing for a while afterwards.

The only issue with wearing normal clothes with a bump is that the clothes are stretched and go out of shape so never go back to normal in my experience. So just be aware not to wear your favourite bits or anything super expensive!

• Advertisement

You're not being silly at all. Is your morning sickness just in the morning or throughout the day? If it is lasting longer than the morning and particularly if you are vommiting you may need treatment for it. Can you keep any food down?

The anti nausea and vommiting medication I am taking has definitely made a difference. I am not fully better and still have nausea every morning and vommiting once to twice a week but it is a world apart from how bad I was. So relieved to finally be feeling better. If this is as good as I get, I'd be delighted!

Advertisement