Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mother & Pram boarding bus

• 03-04-2019 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭

What experiences do you have of mothers with pram boarding bus?
    Pouring rain. Crowded stop. Bus arrives. People rush to board leaving mother and pram last.

I tell driver there's a mother and pram waiting but he says 'Nothing I can do.' Is he right? I felt sorry for mother in the pouring rain. She eventually boarded. Should people just be courteous and let her board first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bobbyss wrote: »
    What experiences do you have of mothers with pram boarding bus?
    Pouring rain. Crowded stop. Bus arrives. People rush to board leaving mother and pram last.

I tell driver there's a mother and pram waiting but he says 'Nothing I can do.' Is he right? I felt sorry for mother in the pouring rain. She eventually boarded. Should people just be courteous and let her board first?

It is interesting that your first port-of-call is The Busdriver.

Would you have any suggestion as to what approach your Busdriver should take in dealing with the Crowd,who,presumably are still on the Public Footpath ?

Is your question re people being courteous a genuine one,or are you secretly hoping that somebody will actually answer...No,they should'nt ?

Assuming this to be a Dublin route,it could easily have 60+ individual Bus-Stops,each of which could feature a scenario such as you describe.

Your only Legal support would appear to be the Dublin Bus Bye-Laws (and a Draft version of the NTA bye-laws for other operators) which specifies....

https://www.dublinbus.ie/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/Boarding-and-Alighting/
    10. (1) Each passenger shall queue at a bus stop in an orderly manner.

10. (2) Where an authorised person is regulating the boarding and alighting from a vehicle, each passenger shall on arrival at a bus stop take up the position at the rear of the appropriate queue, move forward in an orderly and regular manner and obey the reasonable instructions of an authorised person regulating such queue and in the absence of such authorised person obey any notices displayed at the bus stop.

You may have identified a hitherto unkown opening for A "Queue Regulator" to enforce the Bye-Laws,although once intending passengers are behaving in an orderly manner,there remains nothing in Law,to enforce any courtesy requirements upon them ?

Perhaps it may well be just another example of Life not being fair ? :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

AlekSmart wrote:
    Perhaps it may well be just another example of Life not being fair ?

Life not fair? I don't know.

It's a pity the bus driver didn't call out to the people to let the mother on first.
    Can they lower the bus ? This acts as a signal to people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's a pity the bus driver didn't call out to the people to let the mother on first.

No it doesn't. People will hop on as soon as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

How do you feel about someone with a pram taking up the wheelchair space, refusing to move and someone on a wheelchair not being allowed on?
    This happens a lot on my bus route.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Creates a potential problem in that the bus driver won't be aware of any queuing system in place. What if for example the mother has just arrived at the bus stop, while a few others at the stop had already been refused entry to the previous bus 20 minutes ago as it was full?

In general though, people should try and be courteous. All things being equal they should try and allow a mother with a young child to board before them.

• Advertisement

No it doesn't. People will hop on as soon as they can.

Yes. You are right. And I am as guilty of this as anyone. I felt so sorry for this woman who was a foreigner and very quiet. I told her to go ahead of me and asked others to let her on first but to no avail. I was imagining myself in her position in the rain and effectively being the last one on. I wouldn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oh god, it's Ireland it rains, why should we feel sorry for a mother in the rain.

I'm sick to death with people coming to me as a driver to solve all their woes......

People are supposed to Q orderly and single file behind the bus stop pole.... Nobody does.

Wheelchair users do be left as everyone bursts their way on.

I'm sick to death with buggies and the problems they bring.

I had one recently get on the fella goes get my wife a seat.... I was like what??? Can you not see she is pregnant , I was like ok but didn't notice..... So get her a seat....

All I could say is sure no worries do you want this one I'll jump out....

Your man was adamant I had to get out and find her a seat....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Of course they should stand back and let the mother board the bus with her child first.
    Unfortunately chivalry is dead and gone.
    In my day women were treated with respect

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Of course they should stand back and let the mother board the bus with her child first.

That's not what chivalry is.

Yes. You are right. And I am as guilty of this as anyone. I felt so sorry for this woman who was a foreigner and very quiet. I told her to go ahead of me and asked others to let her on first but to no avail. I was imagining myself in her position in the rain and effectively being the last one on. I wouldn't like it.

What has been a foreigner got to do with anything....

I don't get this argument and find it insulting.

Grown ups can look after themselves so let them do so.

People need to take some personal responsibility and yes of course it would be nice for the others to let her on but when your travelling mad things happen and she may not even want the bus or get on and then take an age looking for her card or money leaving all the other souls in the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

Op I take it you didn’t offer to help the woman and child get on or make a suggestion to the other passengers to let her on wether you like it or not most human beings are selfish and look out for themselves in an ideal world we would all look out for each other but ideal this world is not .

gmisk wrote:
    How do you feel about someone with a pram taking up the wheelchair space, refusing to move and someone on a wheelchair not being allowed on? This happens a lot on my bus route.

Upset.

But this is mainly about pram etc boarding the bus as opposed to what is done inside.

That's not what chivalry is.

Ok in the strictest sense it doesn't, but it is often used as s term were a man acts courteous towards a woman.

Like Magdalene Launderies and all the mother and baby homes? Like it not being illegal to rape your partner in a marriage? Etc.

Letting a woman skip ahead of you in the queue for a bus isn't some astounding act of chivalry or show of respect. If there's someone in a more challenged position trying to board; wheelchair user, pregnant woman, parent with young child, then it's a decent human thing to do to give them a spot on the bus if you can.

Woman want equal status so they have it so fend for themselves like everyone else I suppose.

I hold a door whether male or female as it is a good gesture or just good manners.

Amirani wrote: »
    Like Magdalene Launderies and all the mother and baby homes? Like it not being illegal to rape your partner in a marriage? Etc.

Letting a woman skip ahead of you in the queue for a bus isn't some astounding act of chivalry or show of respect. If there's someone in a more challenged position trying to board; wheelchair user, pregnant woman, parent with young child, then it's a decent human thing to do to give them a spot on the bus if you can.
    What has any of that got to do with men showing women respect

gmisk wrote: »
    How do you feel about someone with a pram taking up the wheelchair space, refusing to move and someone on a wheelchair not being allowed on?
    This happens a lot on my bus route.

Very true and even with the SG type that can take both buggy and wheelchair users the buggies actually trump what was actually set up to help those that were impaired.

2 buggies on.... Sorry could one of you fold as there is a wheelchair user wanting to board....

It's either silence, a no or I can't the buggy doesn't fold.

I will go out of my way to help anyone that needs it but the country has gone pc nuts.

What has any of that got to do with men showing women respect

No, they generally weren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Well I've noticed since Leap has become widespread that queuing for the bus has somewhat gone out the window as people are no longer boarding one by one to pay in cash but rather just scrambling to get at the Leap reader and the only who actually have to queue are the ones paying by cash or the ones paying by Leap to the driver. Because the process is now sped up people are more in a hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Equality. You're not allowed any more.

I'd give anyone a seat if they looked like they needed it more than me. Focusing only on women is unacceptable these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

In my experience if there is space in the buggy area, it doesn't matter if buggy and baby get on last, people will move to let them in.

We are not that bad really.

snickers wrote:
    Op I take it you didn’t offer to help the woman and child get on or make a suggestion to the other passengers to let her on wether you like it or not most human beings are selfish and look out for themselves in an ideal world we would all look out for each other but ideal this world is not .

Yes I did. And I asked those around to let her on but unfortunately it didn't work out. I also told her to make herself more visible to the driver so he could do something. I dont think she understood me. And as I said, I told the driver his response was 'Nothing I can do. '

Re point made by other poster about her being a foreigner. I just think some foreigners are more demure and quiet and unwilling to assert themselves. This is in fact why I mentioned she was a foreigner.

Driver looks in mirror, sees buggy area empty of buggy. So buggy owner + baby can board.

Often (at busy times) non buggy owners will take up the buggy space. That is just tough, buggy is paramount, and can get the space for him/her and babe.

Well that's what I think. Shoot me now.

Respect is earned, not assigned due to having a uterus

Everyone should respect everyone, let everyone on before them, then no one gets on.

Betting that most here have not had to board a bus with a child/baby in a buggy. How very awful of those who do.

What! No SUV door to door, Oh my days.

LorenzoB wrote: »

Young mother pushing a buggy deserves respect, and to be let skip s bus queue.
    I think society is in a terrible state

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

LorenzoB wrote: »

Couldn't give a toss about the mother but I don't like to see infants and toddlers left on the side of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Young mother pushing a buggy deserves respect, and to be let skip s bus queue.

But yet people waiting an up to an hour in the lashing of rain should be skipped because someone has a buggy ehhhh no

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote:
    But yet people waiting an up to an hour in the lashing of rain should be skipped because someone has a buggy ehhhh no

And the baby in the lashing rain?

Advertisement