Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another closure

• 28-03-2019 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭

Not the biggest by a long way but another one bites the dust. By the sounds of things the decision to quit is on their own terms and they will continue for a while longer. Even still it is sad to see them go.

http://www.westmayobrewery.ie/welcome/latest-news

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Never heard of them, nice stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Was ok, pretty run of the mill stuff to be honest. But it was nice to have something local to try whilst in Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭sceach16

Was ok, pretty run of the mill stuff to be honest. But it was nice to have something local to try whilst in Westport.

As long as Mescan is still producing, Mayo makes the best beer in Ireland (IMO). Available in Supervalu Westport and a lot of bars/restaurants in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yeah i'd have picked Mescan over their beers but sometimes when you can't see into the fridges or shelves it was easier to spot the draught and order that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I think Mescan is the standout in the irish craft brew scene. I just wish my local shops had a bigger selection.

• Advertisement

I think Mescan is the standout in the irish craft brew scene. I just wish my local shops had a bigger selection.

I wish my local shops had any! I have only seen it in Louisburgh and Westport. It is brewed about halfway between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

sceach16 wrote: »
    I wish my local shops had any! I have only seen it in Louisburgh and Westport. It is brewed about halfway between them.

Where are you living? I'm up and down to Mayo a fair bit and I can grab some for you, if you like.

Where are you living? I'm up and down to Mayo a fair bit and I can grab some for you, if you like.

Thanks. PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Never heard of them, nice stuff?

Their stuff was good without being as good as Mescan though admittedly Mescan is a different form of beer and punches at a different level. The man behind West Mayo was from England and as such their beers were a little more along the lines of English beers and less along the lines of IPA's, the mainstay of many Irish brewers. Certainly they did well in getting into a lot of local bars and hotels and they held their own in their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Heart goes out to them obviously but is it mean to say it's natural? There's an incredible amount of Irish craft out there at the moment, many doing the usual Pale/IPA/Red combo. Add to that the imports. That's a lot of brewers competing for a still small craft segment of the market and as long as the quality Irish ones rise to the top, surely that's OK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement