Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Women's mini marathon - male runners

• 02-04-2019 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Are there any issues with men entering this event - do they need to be in drag?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Just say you're identifying as a woman on the day. In this day and age they won't be able to say much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Carnmore wrote: »
    Are there any issues with men entering this event - do they need to be in drag?

There always seems to be a charity angle to this so I imagine that's why it's tolerated. Otherwise there are infinitely better 10K options where you can actually run all 10K!

Here are the FAQs

https://www.vhiwomensminimarathon.ie/faq

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

is_that_so wrote: »
    there are infinitely better 10K options where you can actually run all 10K!

Is it not all runnable?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Are men permitted to enter this event?

The Vhi Women's Mini Marathon is a FEMALE ONLY event and we ask all participants to respect this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Every year we get this rubbish. There is so many races around now why bother with the hassle.

Can we just close these threads going forward?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It amuses me they still call this event a 'mini marathon'. Although I know a few who take part that forget the 'mini' when talking about it.

If there was a "mens" mini marathon there would be an uproar and a deluge of women turning up in protest. But it's ok for women

Every year we get this rubbish. There is so many races around now why bother with the hassle.

Can we just close these threads going forward?

"Rubbish" being the inherent misandry? "Going forward" is the general idea in a run so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

If there was a "mens" mini marathon there would be an uproar and a deluge of women turning up in protest. But it's ok for women

Why don't you start one so?

Why don't you start one so?

To contrive an uproar? No thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Mods - send this back over to AH.

We’ll be inundated with “whataboutthemenz”

There was a men's 10k. It stopped because of lack of interest.

There are plenty of women who feel self-conscious about starting exercise, and are more comfortable starting out in a women-only environment.

There are plenty of other 10ks that men can run.

Almost every mixed race is won by men, with the winning women finishing among male runners. This is a race where the lead women will be out on their own.

Every year men come on and pretend to be offended by the women's mini-marathon. It's boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

There is or was a mens one in the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

There's a Men only 10k in Morton Stadium at the end of July, guaranteed to have no women in the race. Let us know how you get on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Is it a prerequisite for the "whataboutthemen" brigade to drive a BMW or is there a way of telling who they are in public. its getting quite old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

RayCun wrote: »
    There was a men's 10k. It stopped because of lack of interest.

There are plenty of women who feel self-conscious about starting exercise, and are more comfortable starting out in a women-only environment.

There are plenty of other 10ks that men can run.

Almost every mixed race is won by men, with the winning women finishing among male runners. This is a race where the lead women will be out on their own.

Every year men come on and pretend to be offended by the women's mini-marathon. It's boring.

This. It's also pathetic.

And, an obvious troll attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

I think the race you're looking for is the 'Sad little boy's 10k'.

Men don't complain about this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

"If the Bible has taught us nothing else--
    and it hasn't-- it's that girls should stick to girls' sports,
    such as hot oil wrestling, foxy boxing, and such and such"

H. Simpson

• Registered Users Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Men who enter these races are assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

walshb wrote: »
    Men who enter these races are assholes.

You must have ran it plenty of times so.......

• Advertisement

Is it not all runnable?

As a full 10K not unless you're in the first runners. Huge numbers means it's very slow getting up to speed but it's a fun day!

It amuses me they still call this event a 'mini marathon'. Although I know a few who take part that forget the 'mini' when talking about it.

It started out as a way to encourage women to try to run an achievable distance and maybe use it as a stepping stone to the full marathon. It's just a title and sounds a lot better than the VHI Women's 10K race. 10K is a mini-marathon for some anyway!

OOnegative wrote: »
    You must have ran it plenty of times so.......

Wait for the thanks, kiid!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

To contrive an uproar? No thanks

or maybe there would be no uproar and nobody would care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Should be banned extremely sexist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

walshb wrote: »
    Wait for the thanks, kiid!

Done it for the lol’s rather than the thanks.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Done it for the lol’s rather than the thanks.

There you go!

Actually, emoticons would be a birra' fun on owl boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Men can do it if they want, drag is for the craic because it's the 'women's mini marathon'. If you don't see the point then don't do it.
    For me it's easier do the Dublin night run at the end of April and get a good stab at a 10k run.

To all the moaners and trolls, shhh..... let people have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Any man running the women's mini marathon is a 10 on the attention-seeking scale.

• Advertisement

Guill wrote: »
    Men can do it if they want, drag is for the craic because it's the 'women's mini marathon'. .

How many times do the organisers have to say that men aren't allowed do it before you believe them?

"You're not allowed d.."
    "Ha ha look at me, I've put on a skirt, amn't I hilarious!"
    "It's for women onl..."
    "I've even got make-up on! I'm such a riot!"
    "Men are not allowed ent..."
    "BANTZ!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement