Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arsneal match holyhead to Dublin.

• 30-03-2019 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi unfortunately I cannot fly but next week bring young lad to arsneal match.

Its near 1000 euro at this stage, that's ticket hotel 2 nights ,London 3 star hotel..( fast ferry).the prices are very very expensive ,train to go holyhead to london return.

We staying extra night to do bit sight seeing.

I wonder would anyone know of the most economical route from holyhead to London?
    Thanks

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

You want the sailrail option it's about 55€ each way Dublin-London any of the ferry companies have that option on their websites

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You might need to change the title from 'Holyhead to Dublin'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

You might need to change the title from 'Holyhead to Dublin'!

Mods can you oblige? Holyhead to London return thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

That london can usually be gotten cheaper by Ryanair for 30 or 40 cheap returns eg Gatwick, and accomodation via 1-bed Airbnb or something like that should be caught for around a ton if you pick your locations riight

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Dublin Port to London €47 Sailrail single; half that for children.

Irish Ferries charge an admin fee so cheapest is to phone Stena Line, pay by card and collect tickets at the port.

Sailing at 08.10 ex Dublin would be best.

By default the ticket will be issued through to London Euston but check out the nearest mainline/ Overground station to your accommodation as Sailrail can be issued through to any National Rail station as that'll save having to needlessly pay an additional fare for a local train on arrival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

You also need to get to Dublin Port terminal. Although Dublin Port do say you can walk, if you are considering this I strongly recommend against this ( I think they only do this to avoid having to pay for the bus themselves )

https://www.dublinport.ie/tourism/getting-around/

There's buses on that link that will get you there.

Geog1234 wrote: »
    Dublin Port to London €47 Sailrail single; half that for children.

Irish Ferries charge an admin fee so cheapest is to phone Stena Line, pay by card and collect tickets at the port.

Sailing at 08.10 ex Dublin would be best.

By default the ticket will be issued through to London Euston but check out the nearest mainline/ Overground station to your accommodation as Sailrail can be issued through to any National Rail station as that'll save having to needlessly pay an additional fare for a local train on arrival.

Ah that seems perfect thank you

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just FYI, the quality of the food on all points of this journey would be sub par in my opinion, so if you're hoping for somewhat healthy food, then pack some in your bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Have a look at what times the ferry arrives in Holyhead and the next train leaves for London. from my memory you can be stuck in Holyhead for a bit if you are not careful especially on the return journey. The late train from London for the boat leaves at about 8PM but I think that leaves you with a 3-4 hour wait in Holyhead before the boat to Dublin leaves, from my memory the whole trip at that time takes about 11 hours. If you pick the right boat and train times the journey can be done in about 6 or 7 hours. You also need to book ahead as they only sell a limited number of sailrail tickets and they often sell out. Also at this time of year take a few sea sick tablets.

Its actually a nice journey if you get the timing right but a slog if you end up in Holyhead port sitting on you bag watching a load of drunks at 3AM.

Have a look at what times the ferry arrives in Holyhead and the next train leaves for London. from my memory you can be stuck in Holyhead for a bit if you are not careful especially on the return journey. The late train from London for the boat leaves at about 8PM but I think that leaves you with a 3-4 hour wait in Holyhead before the boat to Dublin leaves, from my memory the whole trip at that time takes about 11 hours. If you pick the right boat and train times the journey can be done in about 6 or 7 hours. You also need to book ahead as they only sell a limited number of sailrail tickets and they often sell out. Also at this time of year take a few sea sick tablets.

Its actually a nice journey if you get the timing right but a slog if you end up in Holyhead port sitting on you bag watching a load of drunks at 3AM.

Your so right , didnt know about sail / rail. Next time , that's way to go.
    So , just now ended up fairly ok ( 250 euro) will get train one hour after arriving fast ferry , to London, similar short wait on return train , just over an hour , expensive but , fastest way we can get there , without flying ( unfortunately) ..did seem to notice the sail / rail seemed a very very long haul albeit much cheaper , much obliged for all the Advice ..

Ps you dobt need passport I presume 🙄what ID is acceptable

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Your so right , didnt know about sail / rail. Next time , that's way to go.
    So , just now ended up fairly ok ( 250 euro) will get train one hour after arriving fast ferry , to London, similar short wait on return train , just over an hour , expensive but , fastest way we can get there , without flying ( unfortunately) ..did seem to notice the sail / rail seemed a very very long haul albeit much cheaper , much obliged for all the Advice ..

Ps you dobt need passport I presume ��what ID is acceptable

Paddy

They will check ID in Dublin for sure, I always used my passport. they often check in Holyhead also.

Getting the quicker journey makes the trip much easier especially with a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I've used a Leap Card with my photo before with Aer Lingus, any type of ID with a photo should do. In law you don't actually need any ID to travel between the two jurisdictions but proving your nationality without some sort of photo ID and an Irish accent could cause delays. If you're not white it may also cause issues apparently.

Advertisement