Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dragged Across Concrete (S. Craig Zahler)

• 25-03-2019 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Dragged_Across_Concrete_poster.jpg

Written and directed by S. Craig Zahler, who also wrote and directed the brilliant and violent films, Bone Tomahawk (2015) and Brawl In Cell Block 99 (2017).

Dragged Across Concrete is very good, but for me, not as good as Zahler's other two films. Casting Mel Gibson as a slightly racist cop is a questionable choice, and the "f*ck this SJW snowflake, younger generation BS" dialogue felt a little too unsubtle. But then, there were great scenes, like Vince Vaughn slowly eating a sandwich. Vaughn, btw, talks very similar to how he did on True Detective season 2, which was funny.

I imagine some people will have issue with the length. It's 2hr 40min, and is slow in parts, but I didn't mind the pace...at first, when I thought it was building to something much more
    violent
    . My major issue with the film was it's predictability, I guessed very early on that Gibson and Vaughn's cop characters
    were going to die
    , and that the black character
    the film highlighted at the start was going to be the sole survivor
    . It just felt obvious that's what was going to happen, to me.

Overall, a very enjoyable film, that only slightly disappointed me, after the fantastic Brawl In Cell Block 99.

It had an online release in America this past Friday, but I think it's coming to theatres in Ireland on 19th April.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Really looking forward to this. Thought the directors two previous films were well worth a watch. Shouldn't have read those spoilers all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Didn't enjoy this one as much as I should've. The running time of 2hours 38minutes was waaaaay too long, some of the dialogs scenes lasted for 10-15 minutes:eek: To be fair it did have some good action sequences but far too much dialog in between to make this enjoyable, disappointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I thought this was very good. Length of films don't bother as long as I enjoy it. 2 leads were great. 3 out of 3 for me with this director.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

This was really good. Yes if you want a fast payoff or are not into the director's style you may not like it but this was a solid thriller.

Need to rewatch Cell Block 99 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Finally got around to watching this on Friday night.

I think it was a bit too long. I don't mind long films or films that take their time, but I felt this went on a little too long in places.
    The Jennifer Carpenter scenes were unnecessary, they just seemed there to pull down the mood of the film
    . Otherwise, I liked it a lot. It wasn't obvious where things were going up. The violence was toned down from his last two films. I was expecting a lot more OTT action at the end (especially with the film's title!), but it was tame compared to his last two films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

This knocked my socks off. Reminds me of A History of Violence in that moments of violence are very real and occur in short, shocking bursts. Yes, it's a bit long but I was gripped and uneasy throughout. It's free on Prime, btw.

Advertisement