Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Switch from WHV to Skilled Independent Visa?

Options
  • 25-03-2019 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all. Am currently considering making a move to Melbourne in the next few months while I'm still young enough to avail of the visas.

My occupation which i have 10 years experience in is on the Skilled Occupation List. I was wondering if i went over on a WHV is it possible to switch to a Skilled Independent Visa after say a year?

As opposed to going to the added expense / more onerous application now for the Skilled Independent Visa if i only end up staying <1 year ultimately

*Sorry title should say from not form and i dunno how to edit it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You can go on a WHV and apply for a skilled visa at any time providing you meet all the requirements.

189 Visa replaced both the old offshore and onshore visas so you can be granted the visa while onshore, your WHV will cease and new visa comes into force.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭areu4real?

Hi all. Am currently considering making a move to Melbourne in the next few months while I'm still young enough to avail of the visas.

My occupation which i have 10 years experience in is on the Skilled Occupation List. I was wondering if i went over on a WHV is it possible to switch to a Skilled Independent Visa after say a year?

As opposed to going to the added expense / more onerous application now for the Skilled Independent Visa if i only end up staying <1 year ultimately

Just one thing to be aware of is the waiting times. Some visas take up to 2 years for processing. I believe the working holiday has been extended up to 3 years, once you have met the requirements to extend it. WHV has restrictions about how long you can stay with any one employer so be ready to job hop while you are on the WHV. Once your permanent visa application is lodged you will be on a bridging visa (once the WHV expires) which gives you most of the rights for whichever visa you have applied for. This comes with it's own restrictions regarding travel/working rights/entitlements.

Although expensive, I recommend using a visa agent with a good rep if you can afford it. Takes a lot of the maybes out of the equation as any visa agent worth their salt will only take on an application if they think it's going to be successful. Good luck with your new adventure, but one last piece of advice. If you're gonna come here to settle down, travel before you do. The WHV is designed so you can be on the move, Australia is an awesome country and you would be selling yourself short if you don't explore a little bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Edited it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JaimeLannister

TrueDub wrote: »
    Edited it for you.

Edit your name to TrueHero while you are at it!

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm going to apply for the WHV to get the ball rolling. Will see about anything further then after first impressions over there.

Good point also about getting some travelling in while on the WHV - I'll certainly bear that in mind. Although I've done a good bit of travelling in the last 6-12 months.

As an aside I also have a 2 year IEC visa for Canada (or at least am at the point where I have been accepted to apply). I thought I had missed the boat for Australia as I'm early 30s. But with the recent change to 35 for WHV for Irish it's back put back on the agenda.

Am a little torn between trying out Vancouver (have friends there) or Melbourne but the nicer climate has me leaning to the latter. My admittedly limited research leads me to believe job opportunities would be slightly better for me there also - work in Insurance/Finance.

Would any of ye have experienced both cities by any chance and have any advice? I'm Irish, not from Dublin, and am trying to avoid going back to Dublin if at all possible! So trying to make use of Canada/Aus visa opportunities while I still can!

Thanks for replies/advice so far (of course I'm not gonna base my decisions 100% on advice from internet strangers but will take it all on board nonetheless!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Edit your name to TrueHero while you are at it!

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm going to apply for the WHV to get the ball rolling. Will see about anything further then after first impressions over there.

Good point also about getting some travelling in while on the WHV - I'll certainly bear that in mind. Although I've done a good bit of travelling in the last 6-12 months.

As an aside I also have a 2 year IEC visa for Canada (or at least am at the point where I have been accepted to apply). I thought I had missed the boat for Australia as I'm early 30s. But with the recent change to 35 for WHV for Irish it's back put back on the agenda.

Am a little torn between trying out Vancouver (have friends there) or Melbourne but the nicer climate has me leaning to the latter. My admittedly limited research leads me to believe job opportunities would be slightly better for me there also - work in Insurance/Finance.

Would any of ye have experienced both cities by any chance and have any advice? I'm Irish, not from Dublin, and am trying to avoid going back to Dublin if at all possible! So trying to make use of Canada/Aus visa opportunities while I still can!

Thanks for replies/advice so far (of course I'm not gonna base my decisions 100% on advice from internet strangers but will take it all on board nonetheless!)

Avoid Recruiters if you can

• Advertisement
Advertisement