Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brisket in Dublin

• 22-03-2019 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’m looking for a bitchers in Dublin where I’d get brisket? Im not sure if brisket means something different between Ireland and US...but last time I bought ‘brisket’, the Dublin butcher assured me thats what it was, and it certainly was not..

Any recommendations please?? Looking to smoke it low n slow!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you search on this thread you'll see some discussion of Brisket:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106526170

James Whelan has an online presence and several butchers around Dublin:
    http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/proddetail.php?prod=6172

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Why did you think that the butcher didn't give you brisket?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭laros

Maybe the butcher gave the o/p corned beef brisket

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

iirc from the BBQ thread someone said that our cut of brisket is not the same cut as what you would get if you asked for it in the States. Likely just a difference between how American and Irish butchers are trained. I can't remember exactly what the difference is (something to do with the fat cap?) but someone on that thread explained it. They also specified what exactly to ask your butcher for if you want it American style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

It didnt have a fat cap, point or a flat. It was just a lump of lean cheap rubbish that didn’t cool well at all. The place I got it from was actually linked above... very surprising as I’ve used them for a lot of good stuff over the years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭laros

It didnt have a fat cap, point or a flat. It was just a lump of lean cheap rubbish that didn’t cool well at all. The place I got it from was actually linked above... very surprising as I’ve used them for a lot of good stuff over the years

I think the cut you need is called "End Cap" over here.... At least that's what my local shop calls it... A lot of Brazilian lads use it. I'm in county Offaly by the way....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Marks and Spencer's do a brisket, ready in 30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Were you buying a whole brisket? No layer of fat is odd alright. I usually buy the flat as the end is too fatty for my liking.

Des Byrne or Aidan O'Brien - both are Skerries-based butchers - could sort you out. You may need to ring ahead & order though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The kind of cut you want for BBQ/slow cooking isn’t often readily available in butcher shops. They tend to have differently trimmed versions for pot-roasting etc.

However, if you talk to your butcher, they should be able to do the cut you need. A whole uncut brisket usually needs to be ordered in, it’s not something they tend to carry normally.

I’ve gotten briskets several times from the Village Butcher, Ranelagh. But any good butcher should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And note James Whelan is owned by Dunnes Stores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think the retail side was bought by Dunnes. IIRC, the butchery part of the business is still owned by Whelan’s. Whelan also still runs the business, just doesn’t own it anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

tedpan wrote: »
    Marks and Spencer's do a brisket, ready in 30 mins

Where’s the fun in that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

You need what the yanks call a full packer. It's a good few kilos whole & untrimmed. There is a difference in the meat here compared to the American brisket you see. Ours isn't as fatty due to the way our cattle are bred and reared

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

neris wrote: »
    You need what the yanks call a full packer. It's a good few kilos whole & untrimmed. There is a difference in the meat here compared to the American brisket you see. Ours isn't as fatty due to the way our cattle are bred and reared

Remember reading before that in the States they feed the cattle angel dust which is a fattening agent and is illegal for farmers to use here or anywhere within the EU. There was a case here in Co.Monaghan a couple of years back where a farmer got caught feeding it to his herd to increase the price he got at the abbatoir. The reason he got caught was because Customs were searching his farm for evidence of diesel laundering when they came across the angel dust so he ending up getting done on the double.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Remember reading before that in the States they feed the cattle angel dust which is a fattening agent and is illegal for farmers to use here or anywhere within the EU. There was a case here in Co.Monaghan a couple of years back where a farmer got caught feeding it to his herd to increase the price he got at the abbatoir. The reason he got caught was because Customs were searching his farm for evidence of diesel laundering when they came across the angel dust so he ending up getting done on the double.

Illegal in the US too. Fattier beef there tends to be from feeding & breeding. A lot of Angus breeding in the cattle: who naturally have more marbled meat. Couple that with a high grain diet instead of grass & those would be the main causes for fattier meat.

Advertisement