Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Stadia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Sounds ambitious but Google's track record is too bad at this stage to have any faith that it'll ever happen.

There's some potential there if they can make it work though.

_

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Some really good ideas in there. It's going to be so variable though, ultra dependent on having a low latency connection, which has been the downfall of every other streaming service. Getting the machines closer to the user will make a difference though, one of the benefits of having cloud infrastructure all over the world.

It's interesting that the three big players in cloud computing (Amazon, Google, Microsoft) are all making moves in the game streaming sector, while Sony's effort is in danger of being left behind, presumably because they don't have the infrastructure already built.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Amazing that such a huge company like Google could have such a dull, boring conference. I haven't watched any for their products, are they always as boring as that?

The ideas are there but it will run is a whole other world of matter entirely. The latency showing off Assassins Creed didn't help either, pressed jump 3 times before he actually did. Can't believe not a single different game was shown either. The Youtube stuff is just bleh and having horrible idiots like MatPat is a bad start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭jkbkhhho7t

Google has already changed our lives so much already I have no doubt they will pull this off , Its just the cynical way the world works right now to try and discredit them before anyone even gets a chance to test it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

It would be cool to see what game devs could do when hardware constraints aren't as much of an issue. However, I don't like the idea of everything being in the cloud, dependant on an internet connection. It'll probably be a subscription service, too.

I just want to buy what I like and have it there to play when I want, without having to log in to google or some other company's servers for the privilege of playing a game I paid for, or having to worry about my shitty connection dropping. Not to mention that I'm already uncomfortable with the amount of info google has on everyone.

I suppose you could argue that the same thing has already happened with movies and music, and people seem to be okay with that… I dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Not sure if it will work or not...only way would be to test it myself.

Any word on a pricing structure or how that will work at all? Service is free but you need to buy the games for your account? Would imagine there will be a Gold or Premium version that offers more coming too (dedicated internal servers or blade allotments, access to demos or betas etc etc)

Can I use a keyboard and mouse? I know they have mentioned you can use your own controller with it but good luck getting me to play Doom Eternal without a K&M!

Though, the prospect of an online game that isnt hampered by server tech on player count would be intriguing. Thats what I want to hear from a new system announcement: how this will make games "better", not "prettier"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Google have a great track record of launching products only to kill them a couple of years later. I don’t see this being any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The fact Google have tonnes of servers here in Ireland this could be promising, not sure how it will all pan out but be interested to see can it work...

I'm more of the opinion that Onlive/PSNow/Shadowplay etc don't really work that well so if anyone can do this right, it's Google...

• Administrators Posts: 53,349 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd be a lot more excited for this if it was Microsoft or Sony.

This is the future, but it's long term really. We've seen from the local-only streaming options on xbox, playstation and steam that even the slightest amount of input lag makes games unplayable.

The 4k 60fps stuff sounds like pure pie in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It sounds great if it comes to life as promised

Here's hoping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

You can see the input lag from this service. That's a nope. https://i.imgur.com/CRkQsoh.mp4
    jkbkhhho7t wrote: »
    Google has already changed our lives so much already I have no doubt they will pull this off , Its just the cynical way the world works right now to try and discredit them before anyone even gets a chance to test it

I think I use every other search engine than google because they get better results. Google deserves any suspicion it gets and then some since dozens of their employees quit because of military contracts and they've continuously aid communist China's censorship, among many other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

With there being a Google data centre in Dublin, Irish users should be able to get good ping.
    Our ISPs are looking towards lower latency too, as 5G is set to have 1ms as the standard.
    We could be looking at something entirely possible in 6 months when it launches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

You can see the input lag from this service. That's a nope. https://i.imgur.com/CRkQsoh.mp4

You can't be judging lag from those conference centers. Sometimes the internets just bad and there is nothing the hosts can do about it.

Why copy the Sony layout for the sticks and d-pad on the controller :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Smiles35 wrote: »
    You can't be judging lag from those conference centers. Sometimes the internets just bad and there is nothing the hosts can do about it.

Perhaps... but google's net worth is 250+ billion USD and they can't get set up a good presentation for a new product in one of the hottest emerging markets in the world? Hard to swallow that one.

Service types of content delivery don't appeal to me for a number of value and technical reasons. Modding, custom servers, niche games/communities... not likely to thrive or even be possible on such platforms. You can't get save a HD picture from google's image search anymore. The company just ain't the right fit for what I want out of gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Perhaps... but google's net worth is 250+ billion USD and they can't get set up a good presentation for a new product in one of the hottest emerging markets in the world? Hard to swallow that one.

Service types of content delivery don't appeal to me for a number of value and technical reasons. Modding, custom servers, niche games/communities... not likely to thrive or even be possible on such platforms. You can't get save a HD picture from google's image search anymore. The company just ain't the right fit for what I want out of gaming.

You can't save a picture from Googles image search because of copyright or something to that effect. Google have to link you back to the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,205 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Anyone remember google Glass, Knol, Video, Page Creator, Dodgeball, Wave???

Google have had lot of great ideas in the past, but no real vision, focus or drive for them in the future.

I am interested though...

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

...Reader, Picasa, Inbox :(https://killedbygoogle.com/

A lot of the capabilities mentioned are interesting, but some of it also makes me feel uneasy for some reason. I wonder what the pricing is going to be like.

People are used to paying a certain amount for other services so I'd imagine it would be in line with Netflix, or Gamepass maybe. 10-15 euro a month maybe.

The thing that would concern me is not the games but the service, Microsoft and Sony both took a while to get Xbox Live and PSN to where they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

All seems too good to be true to me, and I love my Google shtuff...

I'll be interested to see if they can pull it off, they talk some crap sometimes but this and it's support seems to be solid enough so far.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The f**k do I want Google near my gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Google just want to take a cut on the micro transactions I would say , take a small cut of everything and it adds up to alot. Targeted advertising plus micro transactions is a dangerous combo to younger gamers I would say, their reach is overextending . I could see Google getting broken up in the next few years.

Won't touch off this myself , I live just outside the city and barely get 2.5MB/s download speed. Can't see it being a runner until siro rolls out in the next year or two

Another way to gather data is part of it I'd imagine. No tin foil hat stuff here just that data is a serious commodity these days.

There was a piece on the independent recently on the amount of data an hour a connected car generates with a number of passengers and the value of that information to those that collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Google have had lot of great ideas in the past, but no real vision, focus or drive for them in the future.

I am interested though...

Great ideas but piss poor implementation for the end user experience so never a surprise they utterly fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

jkbkhhho7t wrote: »

This is true. I mean, I couldn't get by without my Google+ account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Bambi wrote: »
    The f**k do I want Google near my gaming.

It's the only company I want near mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Google just want to take a cut on the micro transactions I would say , take a small cut of everything and it adds up to alot. Targeted advertising plus micro transactions is a dangerous combo to younger gamers I would say, their reach is overextending . I could see Google getting broken up in the next few years.

That's more like what they'd be going after. They already have their Play gift cards. Get more people buying those and they have they have them opening up to buy a bit of everything.

They are heading for anti-trust, 'monopoly' lawsuits down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

This google product will be dead in a few years.
    I don't even know who they are aiming it at as the focus from the videos I saw yesterday seem to be around how easy it was to stream it to youtube.
    "Serious" youtube or twitch streamers will have no reason to use this due to the unavoidable increase in lag and would just use their main PC rig or console.

The target market is tiny:

1qiz6n5lm4n21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

marcbrophy wrote: »
    With there being a Google data centre in Dublin, Irish users should be able to get good ping.
    Our ISPs are looking towards lower latency too, as 5G is set to have 1ms as the standard.
    We could be looking at something entirely possible in 6 months when it launches :)

Haha, 5G......

Pigs will fly if this will ever work properly on a 5G connection.

This 5G hype is nothing but snake oil. Just like the 4G hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

user1842 wrote: »
    Haha, 5G......

Pigs will fly if this will ever work properly on a 5G connection.

This 5G hype is nothing but snake oil. Just like the 4G hype.

I'm just saying that the tech allows for it.
    I cannot guarantee you that the implementation won't he a shítshow! :)

Advertisement