Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any Ford Sierra heads out there?

• 13-03-2019 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭

Evening folks.

Recently bought a '92 Sierra. Lovely example, clean and original. Only problem is she's the 1.6CVH and rather under-powered.

I'm weighing up my options for swapping the engine out over the coming summer. Looking towards the Sierra 2L DOHC or Pinto, also Zetec as an option.

Any Ford heads care to add their 2c? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Why not track down a 2.9 Scorpio engine and box?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Why not track down a 2.9 Scorpio engine and box?!

That’d be the dream! But I’m hoping to keep her for daily driving so something more practical (and less fun) than the 2.9 will have to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Would you be able to drop a pinto into her without having to change lots of parts, bigger brakes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OP, the Zetec swap could be a lot easier than you think. The CVH and Zetec have basically the same block so a lot of the mounts, sump, etc can be carried over. As that swap has been done before, there are plenty of guides online that will help with what specific Ford parts to use.

Decent o/e spec or uprated parts can be purchased from Burton Power. They have tuning guides for specific Ford models, Ford Engines, etc.

We'll wear OP. Just done weld the diff and kill it on "the slab". Too many have recently gone they way

ianobrien wrote: »
    OP, the Zetec swap could be a lot easier than you think. The CVH and Zetec have basically the same block so a lot of the mounts, sump, etc can be carried over. As that swap has been done before, there are plenty of guides online that will help with what specific Ford parts to use.

Decent o/e spec or uprated parts can be purchased from Burton Power. They have tuning guides for specific Ford models, Ford Engines, etc.

Having done a bit of Googling, Zetec does indeed seem like the most straight-forward option. Burton Power seems to be a great source for all things Ford, cheers for that!

Will be looking in to sourcing an engine and the various bits and pieces in coming days and weeks, will keep you all posted.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Any pics? I used to love them back in the day. A bit like hen's teeth the last few years.

beertons wrote: »
    Any pics? I used to love them back in the day. A bit like hen's teeth the last few years.

This is all I've got for now, semi-artistic effort in a recent snow-shower :p will try and get clearer pics over the weekend.

47372056011_bea5cf517c_c.jpg

Almost completely settled on a 2l blacktop Zetec at this stage. Watch this space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

That's a keeper alright, one of the very last ones too I'd say. The mk1 Mondeo replaced it in 93 if I'm not mistaken.

A few photos as promised.

33559594318_34be6d945c_b.jpg
    33559594408_d58e7cfb36_b.jpg
    33559594428_da85f510e4_b.jpg

Got it handwashed in Newbridge today (at a spot recommended by posters here, cheers) and very happy with how she turned out. The bloke there asked me would I sell it and even though he probably asks everyone that I was still chuffed :P As you can possibly see, 3 of the 4 arches need a small touch up with rust. I reckon the back two will need a bit of cutting/welding, but that's all doable.

NCT is out in a few weeks so that'll certainly be interesting.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Oh you're local enough so, I might be seeing it on the road so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 pg recovery

Iv had a good few sierras down the years including a v6 boa that I built and for certain it'll be no harder to run than a 2.0dohc will be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MrCostington

That's a beaut! I had a 1.6 back in the day same colour. Best of luck with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

I'm pretty sure I saw that in Donaghmede shopping centre a few weeks ago, lovely example :o

I have a 92 Sierra myself and it is a GLS (2.0 DOHC injection engine). It has a nice bit of torque and is really nice to drive. It does about 35mpg on average but this can vary depending on roads and driving style. If you're looking for more power, it's probably not a worthwhile transplant as you'd need to install a full loom, ECU etc if you're going for the injection one. I'd also imagine it would be a difficult transplant as there isn't much room around certain parts of the engine.

I think you have received the best advice here in that a Zetec is the best bet. However I would urge you to think carefully as it's a very clean, original example :)

An update of sorts :)

I've since realised that it's a 1.6 Pinto I have, not the CVH (showing my inexperience here but I'm learning :P). With that in mind, it'll be quite simple to put a 2 litre Pinto in in time - almost a straight swap, slight change to throttle cables and linkages. That's the new plan, as opposed to Zetec or similar.

Maybe 3 weeks ago I dropped her in to a local bodywork shop. Quite a bit of welding to be done between the arches, sills, rear turrets etc. but once it's done it'll be rust free and ready for the summer.

In her current state:
    32932742927_141302c4d2_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OP, 2.0 pinto's are getting hard to find, the rally and hot rod guys & gals have a lot of them hoovered up. That being said, they do respond well to tuning and there is plenty of knowledge on setting them up nice out there. Burton Power do have new blocks alright but they are expensive.

The pinto is a bit of a boat anchor. I'd still be going for the Zetec swap. Getting your hands on a (rotten) 1.8 CVH Sierra would make the swap a lot easier

Edit, l like the fact that the Sierra decal on the back window appears to be sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The 1.8 cvh was a lovely engine, plenty of poke (for the time) and surprisingly economical. The car I drove was a 1990 GLX UK import, getting parts for around the engine bay, hoses etc was always a bit of a challenge. Personally I'd leave it alone, maybe try and beef up it's original engine with a decent carb, exhaust manifold, peppier cam, nothing too radical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I had a Sierra Sapphire in the early 2000's, a very late 1993' model. Black with red pin stripping all around it. Looked great, I let it go because it was going through a phase where everything was going wrong with it and I didn't see the value in fixing it, sorry now though. It had an Italia 90' sticker on the back window where the dealer logo would have been. I put it there for the look, when I was a kid I had a neighbor with an 87' Sierra with the Italia 90 sticker on the back window so that's where I got that idea from. It's long scrapped now though, I sold it to a guy not too far away from me and he parted it out instead of fixing it. Saw the thing in his driveway with nothing left of it bar the empty shell.

An update of sorts.

Here she is in her current state. A deal of cutting and welding but she's now 100% rust free and sealed up good as new. Aside from the roof and boot door she has been completely resprayed and it's an immaculate job.

A few small bits of trim to be put back in to place and she's likely to be home within the next week or so. NCT will follow soon after that.

I'm still set on replacing the 1.6 Pinto. Every second week I'm going back and forth between a 2L Pinto with lairy carbs, the more modern DOHC or even a Zetec option but time and available funds will tell :p

48671881946_21ab4a0968_c.jpg
    48671849596_ae0378d9a7_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

That's a nice job on the bodywork. Can you let me know who did it? Looking for a bodyshop at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Noveight wrote: »
    An update of sorts.

Here she is in her current state. A deal of cutting and welding but she's now 100% rust free and sealed up good as new. Aside from the roof and boot door she has been completely resprayed and it's an immaculate job.

A few small bits of trim to be put back in to place and she's likely to be home within the next week or so. NCT will follow soon after that.

I'm still set on replacing the 1.6 Pinto. Every second week I'm going back and forth between a 2L Pinto with lairy carbs, the more modern DOHC or even a Zetec option but time and available funds will tell :p

]
    finding a 2 litre pinto won't be easy.

• Advertisement

Tzardine wrote: »
    That's a nice job on the bodywork. Can you let me know who did it? Looking for a bodyshop at the moment.

PARC here in Ennis. Delighted with the work, couldn’t recommend them enough!
    Isambard wrote: »
    finding a 2 litre pinto won't be easy.

You’re dead right unfortunately, most of them rallied or in kit cars. Could well go down the Zetec route.

Advertisement