Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alltech craft brews festival 2019

• 08-03-2019 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,836 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going along to the Alltech festival next week in the Convention Centre.

Any tips or particular beers or whiskies to check out - or avoid?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'm going along to the Alltech festival next week in the Convention Centre.

Any tips or particular beers or whiskies to check out - or avoid?

I'm going as well. It's been about 4/5 years since I went to it and I remember there was a of international brewers there, looking at the exhibitor list on their website and seems it's mostly Irish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

In the last couple of years it has shrunk down to concentrate more on the beers that are distributed by Alltech Beverage Division Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Didn't get tickets for Saturday and now it's sold out so I'll probably not be going.

Always have a good time when I'm there as there's a good atmosphere and plenty of opportunities to chat to the brewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Without Four corners it's dramatically less appealing in my opinion. Giving it a miss this year

• Registered Users Posts: 27,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I bought the ticket for the optional Whiskey Appreciation Class, a tasting of 4 different whiskeys - Irish, Scotch, Rye, Bourbon.

I presume the Irish one will be one of the Pearse Lyons range, and a quick google suggests the Rye and Bourbon will come from Town Branch.
    https://www.alltech.com/about/careers/brewhouse-operator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

How much are tokens? Says on their website a pint is typically 6 tokens. I assume they're a euro each?

Blisterman wrote: »
    How much are tokens? Says on their website a pint is typically 6 tokens. I assume they're a euro each?

Yeah it's 1 to 1.

Last time a pint was 6 tokens, and you could get a half pint for 3 tokens, better for sampling.

Favourites were the...
    Wicklow Helles Lager
    https://www.wicklowbrewery.ie/beers/helles.html

Hopfully Uncommon White IPA
    Town and Country Rye Whiskey - pot still bourbon was nice too.
    Pearse Lyons 7yo whiskey - much nicer than the standard blend. No caramel added to any of their range. The Town and Country barrels are reused for the Pearse Lyons whiskies.

The pilsner from Mont had too much white pepper for me.

So many beers to sample I could've done with a menu !

The winners of the Dublin Craft Cups announced...
    https://www.alltechbrews.ie/sites/default/files/2019-03/2019%20Dub%20Cup%20Winners.pdf

Best in category
    • Ale: Bronckhorster Dubbelganger, Bronckhorster Brewing
    • Lager: Mont Irish Pilsner, Mont
    • Porter & Stout: Einstok Toasted Porter, Einstok
    • IPA: McGargles Daragh's Grapefruit Session IPA, Rye River Brewing
    • Pale Ale: Hazy American, Evolution
    • Wheat: TAP 6, Schneider Weisse
    • Specialty: Boyne Brewhouse Saison, Boyne Brewhouse

Best in Ireland
    • Barrel Aged Dark Sunset – Imperial Oatmeal Stout (Lough Gill Brewing Co)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Guess White Hag's event is the only true "craft" beer festival left in Ireland now looking at some of the photos of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Mod Snip

This is the drink forum. Get over it.

I enjoyed it last night, some really interesting beers from the more established Irish brewers. Disappointed to hear from an Alltech employee that its probably the last year they'll do it.

I enjoyed it last night, some really interesting beers from the more established Irish brewers. Disappointed to hear from an Alltech employee that its probably the last year they'll do it.

Oh that'd be a pity. I think it was pretty much a sell out Thursday to Saturday so it's not from lack of interest from the pinters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Like everything else in Dublin it's expensive to rent out the whole of the CCD so no surprise it's over.

RasTa wrote: »
    Like everything else in Dublin it's expensive to rent out the whole of the CCD so no surprise it's over.

This is it. Also the founder of Alltech Pearse Lyons died last year and the brewing/distilling side of it was his passion project. I don't think his children who have taken over the business are into it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Was at this last night and, as usual, it was pretty good.

Don’t think I’ll be too bothered going again though. €24.10 entry and €6 per pint is just a bit expensive for what you get. The fact that loads of great Irish breweries such as Metalman, Wicklow Wof, Dungarvan etc... aren’t there hugely detracts from it for me.

Advertisement