Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Ethernet Cable Through the House.

• 11-03-2019 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hello, does anyone know someone who can run Ethernet through the house, I'm looking to run a a few cable's from my switch up to the attic and into some rooms.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Youdunnit

Would you consider DIY it's easy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

Youdunnit wrote: »
    Would you consider DIY it's easy enough

I've done my back in and getting into the attic and drilling isn't an option at the moment unfortunately, using WiFi on a gigabit connection at the moment is doing my head in lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Hello, does anyone know someone who can run Ethernet through the house, I'm looking to run a a few cable's from my switch up to the attic and into some rooms.

I doubt you would get anyone to do it too cheaply. Alot depends on the type of house and the routes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I've done my back in and getting into the attic and drilling isn't an option at the moment unfortunately, using WiFi on a gigabit connection at the moment is doing my head in lol

You can get plug adapters where you plug an ethernet cable from your router into a power socket. You also get a second adapter which you would put in your attic where you plug the receiving ethernet cable into. The internet is transferred through your power cables allowing you to get the internet in your attic quickly, easily and hopefully cheaply!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Deiseen wrote: »
    You can get plug adapters where you plug an ethernet cable from your router into a power socket. You also get a second adapter which you would put in your attic where you plug the receiving ethernet cable into. The internet is transferred through your power cables allowing you to get the internet in your attic quickly, easily and hopefully cheaply!

'homeplugs', work pretty well too, can be prone to interference though, but well worth a try

• Advertisement

Deiseen wrote: »

I think though multiple cables are required for different rooms if i understand correctly as to what the op wants to do.

alta stare wrote:
    I think though multiple cables are required for different rooms if i understand correctly as to what the op wants to do.

I believe multiple homeplugs can be used in any one home, but direct cable to all rooms would be best option

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I believe multiple homeplugs can be used in any one home, but direct cable to all rooms would be best option

Yeah direct is best alright. It could get very expensive using multiple plugs.

A network switch in the attic or somewhere like that would be another option. 1 cable from the router/modem/switch up to the new switch and shoot all the required cables from there. Definitely better than having to pull multiple cables up to the attic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've 5 homeplugs in my house and the all work perfectly, 1 of them go to the attic for a NAS and CCTV, they have 3 ports in each so I've no need to have a hub off them, definitely cheaper than running cables

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    I've 5 homeplugs in my house and the all work perfectly, 1 of them go to the attic for a NAS and CCTV, they have 3 ports in each so I've no need to have a hub off them, definitely cheaper than running cables

what kind of speeds are you getting on that setup?

5 pairs?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what kind of speeds are you getting on that setup?

I don't know know to be honest, I've gigabit broadband in the house so I've no problem with bandwidth to any device, the FritzBox I have does a great job of looking after everything. Off the homeplugs I have an Nvidia Shield, Desktop Computer, CCTV, Hue Bridge, Server and a NAS, never had a problem accessing any of it.

alta stare wrote: »
    5 pairs?

5 individual ones, I think I got 2 3 packs when I got them. I've it setup with
    1 next to the router in the living room
    1 in the other corner of the living room with Hue Bridge, TV and Nvidia Shield
    1 connected to a desktop computer
    1 in the attic connected to CCTV and a NAS
    1 in the spare room connected to a home server

I find them a lot more reliable than WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

agree with homeplugs. I use them also and find them great. You must use them directly into the wall socket and not into extension cables, as they cause degradation of the signal.

With home plugs I almost max out my connection speed using them on my PC or via a switch. They can be expensive, however easy to move them around as needs be.

5 individual ones, I think I got 2 3 packs when I got them. I've it setup with
    1 next to the router in the living room
    1 in the other corner of the living room with Hue Bridge, TV and Nvidia Shield
    1 connected to a desktop computer
    1 in the attic connected to CCTV and a NAS
    1 in the spare room connected to a home server

I find them a lot more reliable than WiFi

Was thinking that otherwise it would of been a pricey set up. To be fair they are a handy way to get nerwork around the house.

Was thinking that otherwise it would of been a pricey set up. To be fair they are a handy way to get nerwork around the house.

They weren't that expensive when I got them, I think it was on an Amazon deal, I can't remember. It's a lot cheaper and tidier than running cables anyway that's for sure. I remember being told before that the more trip switches the circuit has to go through the slower it will be (makes sense), also, the whole homeplug network will only be as quick as the slowest homeplug so try to keep them all the same speed, I'm at 1200Mpbs.

Just had a quick look at my router, below is the speed I'm getting at the moment out of it

tpver_XXXXXXX
    Powerline
    connected with
    tpver_XXXXXX
    1032 / 1067 Mbit/s

By comparison my laptop that I'm typing this on is connected at 5 GHz, 216 / 180 Mbit/s

They weren't that expensive when I got them, I think it was on an Amazon deal, I can't remember. It's a lot cheaper and tidier than running cables anyway that's for sure. I remember being told before that the more trip switches the circuit has to go through the slower it will be (makes sense), also, the whole homeplug network will only be as quick as the slowest homeplug so try to keep them all the same speed, I'm at 1200Mpbs.

Trip switches? Network switches im guessing you mean. No they dont slow it down sure they would be gigabit switches over cat 6. Pretty good to be fair.

• Advertisement

Trip switches? Network switches im guessing you mean. No they dont slow it down sure they would be gigabit switches over cat 6. Pretty good to be fair.

Sorry, I meant the power cabling in the house, if the power lines are on the same circuit the faster they'll be

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

Yeah direct is best alright. It could get very expensive using multiple plugs.

A network switch in the attic or somewhere like that would be another option. 1 cable from the router/modem/switch up to the new switch and shoot all the required cables from there. Definitely better than having to pull multiple cables up to the attic.

It's direct i need, home plugs aren't worth a slap. i have a synchronous 1000 Mbps connection up and down, and also running a file server, currently haphazardly wired around the floor of the house with cat6a.

I have all the equipment and gear i just can't physically run the wires at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It's direct i need, home plugs aren't worth a slap. i have a synchronous 1000 Mbps connection up and down, and also running a file server, currently haphazardly wired around the floor of the house with cat6a.

I have all the equipment and gear i just can't physically run the wires at the moment.

Definitely cat 5e/cat 6 cable is the way to go.
    Homeplugs are good where they work well, but only a temporary solution IMO.

EDIT. Maybe also ask on this forum
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Advertisement