Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic wind turbine cost?

Options
  • 11-03-2019 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know the rough cost of getting a domestic wind turbine for the house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Let me put it in another set of coordinates: do you have the optimal conditions to install one !?

DIY,from 3k
    Pro,from 5k

Power,from 2Kw installed quoted power.
    Check few of my posts here,lots of clips and info.

My advise... even DIY unless you go big and battery not worth it...unless...you are one of those lucky offgrid fcukers ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

rolion wrote: »
    Let me put it in another set of coordinates: do you have the optimal conditions to install one !?

DIY,from 3k
    Pro,from 5k

Power,from 2Kw installed quoted power.
    Check few of my posts here,lots of clips and info.

My advise... even DIY unless you go big and battery not worth it...unless...you are one of those lucky offgrid fcukers ! :)

Saw a few in my area. We have a windfarm near us so winds not an issue.

Wonder is it an alternative to solar PV?

Just get some tubes for water and a turbine and battery for power?
    I'll check out your links:)
    Is there meant to be a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Saw a few in my area. We have a windfarm near us so winds not an issue.

mega difference between wind at 70 meters and at roof level or a bit higher.

Complete waste of money at the domestic level

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

mega difference between wind at 70 meters and at roof level or a bit higher.

Complete waste of money at the domestic level

I'm 175 m asl :)

I'm 175 m asl :)

.. 70 is above ground level where the turbine is;)

• Advertisement

.. 70 is above ground level where the turbine is;)

Point was, we get wind...lots of it.

Point was, we get wind...lots of it.
    Point is I have a degree in this area
    Point eile is, too much wind is not what you need either.
    Point eile eile: as OP to ignore list

Point is I have a degree in this area
    Point eile is, too much wind is not what you need either.
    Point eile eile: as OP to ignore list

Well that was a fairly non productive interaction...and poster could have made use of their degree and shared their knowledge on the subject biggrin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

So are we saying wind turbines have no place in a domestic setting ?I spoke to a pv salesperson today who said that domestic only goes up to 6 kw and after that you must get special Esb connection or was that sales speak . I have a phev and looking to change second car to ev and looking at pv panels and battery but our annual consumption is circa 12000 kWh . Any advice ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Well that was a fairly non productive interaction...and poster could have made use of their degree and shared their knowledge on the subject biggrin.png

Forgive the Master in wind turbines... he's been there and shared a lots of info here. May be he's busy putting a brake on to his turbine with all these winds around here...
    I look at him and I feel a junior.
    jimmyging wrote: »
    So are we saying wind turbines have no place in a domestic setting ?I spoke to a pv salesperson today who said that domestic only goes up to 6 kw and after that you must get special Esb connection or was that sales speak . I have a phev and looking to change second car to ev and looking at pv panels and battery but our annual consumption is circa 12000 kWh . Any advice ?

EVs and PVs are not a good mix unless you have over 5KW installed array power and the car stays at home during production. I have PVs and EV and car not home when excess generated. What's the beauty then, I ask myself !?

We had multiple topics about the EVs, PVs and PVs and batteries and car chargers.
    Wait for Unkel to see your post and he's going to "detail" you in greater details... ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement