Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

jewels652 wrote: »
    I am covering the same as you except for the courts. There are so o many Acts and sections to remember for criminal, feeling frustrated :(

me too:(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

HELPPP
    Can someone please explain the "Causal link" to me in Constitutional - Unconstitutionally obtained evidence? I feel i must have missed this entirely and now i'm freaking out. SOS :(

lawless11 wrote: »
    Criminal - is there a defence of reasonable care for strict liability offences? Keane J commented in Shannon Regional Fisheries that is should be available, but so... is it or is it not? xD

Was looking at that today, my manual says its well settled that its not a defence. But then obviously in maguire v Shannon Regional Fisheries its taken into account and accused gets a more lenient fine, same thing in M'adam v Dublin United tramways Company so my conclusion is that its taken into account in deciding the penalty but it wouldn't ever be an absolute defence for the charge.

Keane J in Shannon Regional is just suggesting it should be an absolute defence I reckon but as of yet it isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Hey Legal23 definitely sit criminal, sounds like you have the major work done and just a bit overwhelmed with the amount you need to actually keep in your head. I did the exams twice before i got the first 3 and I got criminal both times. He is a very fair marker. I think focus on the substantive offences MS, murder, NFOAP, know all sexual offences very well and know a bit about all the defenses you will pass. Both times I did a question on property offences and literally named the theft and fraud act 2001 and was given marks for it. You'll be grand, it's very hard but try not to let the stress get to you, yes it is an unreal amount of information to hold in your head esp cause your doing other exams but it is amazing what you remember in the exam. When you are responding to questions set out how you understand the law, the issue, then apply that to the question and it will show you know your stuff. Try your best to get a good sleep, makes all the difference when you are trying to understand and learn things off. Really hoping they all go very well for you :)
    Legal23 wrote: »
    I'm going for the magic three for the 3rd time and I'm losing heart. I've signed up for 4 this time round with criminal being my additional subject. I've got condensed notes done but I find I'm rewriting all my notes again in the learning process. Tbh, I've mostly focused on my past exams so I've left criminal to the end. I'm starting to panic looking at the topics today and feel like I'm getting nowhere. I'm just wondering from your experience would I be better off not sitting criminal and just focus on getting my three, spending the next few days being fully prepared for my 3 exams or do I spend the next day and a half cramming to get criminal into my head... Is it possible to pass if I feel like nothing is going in at this point???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Legal23

user115 wrote: »
    Hey Legal23 definitely sit criminal, sounds like you have the major work done and just a bit overwhelmed with the amount you need to actually keep in your head. I did the exams twice before i got the first 3 and I got criminal both times. He is a very fair marker. I think focus on the substantive offences MS, murder, NFOAP, know all sexual offences very well and know a bit about all the defenses you will pass. Both times I did a question on property offences and literally named the theft and fraud act 2001 and was given marks for it. You'll be grand, it's very hard but try not to let the stress get to you, yes it is an unreal amount of information to hold in your head esp cause your doing other exams but it is amazing what you remember in the exam. When you are responding to questions set out how you understand the law, the issue, then apply that to the question and it will show you know your stuff. Try your best to get a good sleep, makes all the difference when you are trying to understand and learn things off. Really hoping they all go very well for you :)

Oh thank you so much, I think I am just so overwhelmed at this stage... The amount of statutes and cases.. The doubt creeps in that I don't know anything... Although its not great knowing you haven't passed, it's reassuring to know others have been in the same situation and got the magic three. I'm going to focus abit tonight on defences and then focus all day tomorrow on the rest and just give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks again I really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Legal23 wrote:
    Oh thank you so much, I think I am just so overwhelmed at this stage... The amount of statutes and cases.. The doubt creeps in that I don't know anything... Although its not great knowing you haven't passed, it's reassuring to know others have been in the same situation and got the magic three. I'm going to focus abit tonight on defences and then focus all day tomorrow on the rest and just give it a go on Wednesday. Thanks again I really appreciate it.

Definitely go for it, don't worry so much once you can talk like u understand the concepts. Referring and applying the caselaw / limbs of a test. I named a few statutes wrong etc in mine. i nearly bottled for last exam as wasn't sure re criminal and got the magic 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Anyone else tabbing the shït out of their companies act on anything at all that might be useful in the exam? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

After such a rough Tort paper I reckon Criminal is gunna be a beaut :D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

After such a rough Tort paper I reckon Criminal is gunna be a beaut :D

I hope this is the way it works!

Anyone else tabbing the shït out of their companies act on anything at all that might be useful in the exam? :pac:

I did this for last set and it worked beautifully, used it as a total crutch for Summary Approval Procedure and the transfer of shares and wrote a shockingly good answer considering how uncomfortable with it I was!

• Advertisement

I hope this is the way it works!

Classification of Offences incoming I can feel it!

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Lol

Wouldn't we all wish for that now haha

I believe it can happen

Lol
    lawless11 wrote: »
    Wouldn't we all wish for that now haha

I believe it can happen

I actually haven't prepped for that yet and likely won't get time even though I expect it! :/

For co-ownership, are the partition acts gone since the LCLRA? I think they are but making sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Lol

Me too!!!! 😂

For co-ownership, are the partition acts gone since the LCLRA? I think they are but making sure.

Yep they're gone, think its section 31 of LCLRA

Lol

Do you reckon its relatively safe to ignore the definition of crime since it came up last year and just look at classification?

nimcdona wrote: »
    Yep they're gone, think its section 31 of LCLRA

You're dead right, went looking at Wylie there. I always find it so conceited where they're like " the land reform commission thought xyz" which just means "I thought"

nimcdona wrote: »
    Do you reckon its relatively safe to ignore the definition of crime since it came up last year and just look at classification?

Yep. That’s my thinking.

Disclaimer: My predictions for Tort were wildly inaccurate

I actually haven't prepped for that yet and likely won't get time even though I expect it! :/

If you have the notes done you could genuinely learn enough for an answer with a good hours worth of study, less even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

Yep. That’s my thinking.

Disclaimer: My predictions for Tort were wildly inaccurate

Is that characteristics?

If you have the notes done you could genuinely learn enough for an answer with a good hours worth of study, less even.

My only understanding of the way to answer that is his sample answer and that's quite lengthy :/

Scratch that, found it in my manual and it's 4 pages there! He can't expect his level!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 laurar2019

what are 5 reforms of the act?? i can only think of 2 :(:(:(

laurar2019 wrote: »

Not doing company but I know Summary Approval Procedure, Codification and expansion of directors duties are 2 of them. Something to do with the punishment of directors too I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

codification of directors duties in 228, Sumary approval procedure, ultra vires doctrine abolished for LTDS, charge system has changed and maybe Table A replaced.. or new LTD/DAC framework..

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Not doing company but I know Summary Approval Procedure, Codification and expansion of directors duties are 2 of them. Something to do with the punishment of directors too I think!

I was literally just thinking the same thing.

Think the most significant reform from the previous regime is that the model LTD company won't have a defined objects clause.

Also majority written resolutions are new to the act I think

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Have a sneaking suspicion that Adverse Possession will come up as an Essay Q this sitting

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Is anyone else absolutely dying or is that just me?! :'(

Is that characteristics?

It’s Arrestable/Serious, Minor/Non-Minor, Indictable/Summary, Civil/Criminal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭ Kyree Bumpy Shrimp

Am I right in saying that an accessory is essentially an umbrella term for someone who either aids, abets, counsels or procures the commission of an offence?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement