Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If the roads are packed...

Options
  • 09-03-2019 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

And the trains are packed....

And the bus is packed...

And the bike lanes are packed..

Why is so little being done in dublin vis a vis transport projects.

Settling for a slightly longer green line isnt cutting it. And neither is metrolink.

How the powers that be cant do dart underground is criminal at this point

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

And the trains are packed....

And the bus is packed...

And the bike lanes are packed..

Why is so little being done in dublin vis a vis transport projects.

Settling for a slightly longer green line isnt cutting it. And neither is metrolink.

How the powers that be cant do dart underground is criminal at this point
    Longer trams have been ordered
    More trains have been ordered.
    Dart expansion is enroute.
    Cycling is being held back by the motoring lobby
    Buses being delayed by Nimby's
    Luas being delayed by nimby's
    No money for DU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭plodder

Longer trams have been ordered
    More trains have been ordered.
    Dart expansion is enroute.
    Cycling is being held back by the motoring lobby
    Buses being delayed by Nimby's
    Luas being delayed by nimby's
    No money for DU
    You could lie down in many bus lanes at peak times for a few minutes and not be run over by a bus.. The existing bus lane infrastructure is chronically under utilised. So, it could be improved significantly regardless of any Nimby issues with the big bus plan.

To be fair, it's 2019. Governemnt probably presumed we'd be using our spaceships and hover-cars by now.

plodder wrote: »
    You could lie down in many bus lanes at peak times for a few minutes and not be run over by a bus.. The existing bus lane infrastructure is chronically under utilised. So, it could be improved significantly regardless of any Nimby issues with the big bus plan.

Is there an argument for opening bus lanes to general traffic during peak times?

I know it'd slow down the buses, but if all the traffic is moving faster as a result, would the impact on the buses be as bad as it instinctively feels like it would be?

Is there an argument for opening bus lanes to general traffic during peak times?

No logical one
    I know it'd slow down the buses, but if all the traffic is moving faster as a result

Traffic will fill the gap and move at the same rate as now. Look at the addition of the 3rd lane on the M50
    would the impact on the buses be as bad as it instinctively feels like it would be?

It would remove the biggest benefit of using the buses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

To be fair, it's 2019. Governemnt probably presumed we'd be using our spaceships and hover-cars by now.

Well hover-trains (hyperloop) is the nearest to realisation, with speeds in excess of airliners, just a matter of time before 'full large-scale proof of concept' occurs. Followed soon after by cost reduction thanks to economies of scale and technological replication.

Another question is why even aim to build underground. When overground: from Luas, to monorail and 'not yet' hyperloop stilts, would surely all be cheaper.

Ideal if you heading across a 30km channel of water, often snowed in like Montreal, or facing cobbled, horse-filled streets of London. Otherwise not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Riar_

Not in the urban core of Dublin, which is the hardest place to reach.

Well hover-trains (hyperloop) is the nearest to realisation, with speeds in excess of airliners, just a matter of time before 'full large-scale proof of concept' occurs. Followed soon after by cost reduction thanks to economies of scale and technological replication.

Another question is why even aim to build underground. When overground: from Luas, to monorail and 'not yet' hyperloop stilts, would surely all be cheaper.

Ideal if you heading across a 30km channel of water, often snowed in like Montreal, or facing cobbled, horse-filled streets of London. Otherwise not so much.
    Other countries like India and UAE build their metros on fly overs, I think people are afraid of how it would look, also building the footings and stations would cause a ton of disruption and would need many demolitions? I am interested in the idea of the hyperloop but it wouldn't massively reduce any costs here. Speed is not the problem, the cost of tunnelling and building stations is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Low-density social housing in the city centre should be replaced with high-ish rise homes for those working in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You could lie down in many bus lanes at peak times for a few minutes and not be run over by a bus..

I wouldn't recommend it. You'd probably get squished by a truck from Guinness or LaRousse or Frylite or any of the many other businesses that put their profit margins ahead of the hundreds of bus passengers trying to get to/from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I wouldn't recommend it. You'd probably get squished by a truck from Guinness or LaRousse or Frylite or any of the many other businesses that put their profit margins ahead of the hundreds of bus passengers trying to get to/from work.

This is one of the things that needs to be seriously improved. Infringements by commercial vehicles are often dangerous as well as disruptive to traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Low-density social housing in the city centre should be replaced with high-ish rise homes for those working in the city.

You are assuming social housing tenants don't work in the city centre.

Also 9 posts in until someone goes off topic to bash social housing. Par for the course on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Edenmoar

From what I can deduce it seems people only want to vote for tax cuts and welfare increases. Green issues and public transport aren’t going to get you voted in and there’s no long term planning in Ireland. The metro will never happen, too much NIMBYism will kick the can down the road until we have no money for it during the next recession. There’s a thread talking about metro on this forum and I think they’re all deluded even talking about it, at least until there are shovels in the ground.
    I’m lucky enough to live cycling distance to work and close to a dart station, which is horribly overcrowded in the morning but a good service by poor irish standards. A friend of mine commutes by car from Laois every day, if living beyond the m50 and driving to work was my only option I’d have to emigrate to a European city and claim poor transport refugee status.

Advertisement