Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discovery 2x08 "If Memory Serves"

• 07-03-2019 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭

This could be very good....or very bad.

Interested to see what they do with the Talosians.

I think re-warching 'The Cage' will be in order tonight and possibly The Menagerie.

We might get to see what actually caused General Order 7.

Edit: could a kind mod please add 'If Memory Serves' to the thread title :D

Edit 2: thank you kind Mod.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Progress on the Red Angel at least, with them explicitly saying it's a human, but that only supports the possibility of it being Burnham.

Still very little info on the nature of the real enemy though.

I think the series would have been better served if these plot points had come sooner though.

The Dr Culber thread is taking a darker and unexpected turn though. And I was amused by the Pike/Saru chat that followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

OK! That was Quality!!! In my opinion anyway! - SPOILERS!!!

I gave out last week about how uneasy the season was proceeding but again im gonna just take this episode individually - and it was VERY GOOD IMHO

THE CAGE: Lovely to see the Star Trek Pilot Lead in - that was TOTALLY unexpected but very welcome:)

The Talosians and Vena - Yea again i expected it to be messed up, but it was very well done - the sound on the surface was identical to that of the cage - The Talosians were interesting. Fantastic deception at the beginning - a black hole that wasnt actually there! and Vena!! Still there, still alive, and waiting for the Menagerie - alone yet not alone - and the Talosian help, for a price! Very interesting. Also the communication to Pike -

Their Make-up was fine aswell - i had no issue with that - im not a stickler for makeup changes though i accept some are

Pike -Yea again it felt very good to see that. I really enjoyed the ready room scene with Vena

Colber and Ash/Voq Again im shocked cause i wasnt that interested in this part of the plot. Pretty decent though i enjoyed it. Entirely believable that a resurrected guy would not be able to simply reintegrate into his normal life!

Arium Obviously only subtle hints but given it was the only bit of the last episode that i enjoyed, i was pretty happy with that

The Red Angel/Overall Plot slowly advancing, and open to possibilities now. REALLY REALLY hoping it isnt Burnham - is it POSSIBLE its Picard - with a possible tie in to the New show??? Or someone else we know - ?? They are obviously trying to avert catastrophe, and the 'true enemy' has yet to reveal itself

Section31 aside from the fact they are VERY WELL KNOWN and out there, i thought it was ok this week. Behaving very Sloan-like, and Leiland is getting shafted by her imperial highness quite a bit it seems - also 31 is run by an AI????? Interesting -is the AI the 'true enemy'? This could lead to 31 being officially disbanded perhaps? (the writing this week was impressive so MAYBE they fix the problems overall and push 31 back into the shadows)

Spock and Burnham - Unnecessary, and the only negative of the episode - just wish they were just friends on vulcan as opposed to brother and sister - dont like the idea of Spock discarding his humanity cause of Mary Sue but 'whatever' - on the positive i find it HIGHLY PLAUSIBLE that Spock would mind meld with the Red Angel - that is in keeping with his character - Melded with so many species over the years - V'ger, the Kelvins, the Silicon Lifeform from 'the devil in the dark' , Nomad - Overall Spock was fine in this episode - if only the Talosians had done us all a favor and kept Burnham!!! lol

Really enjoyed this episode, despite misgivings - and i will watch to see what others think - but i rate this HIGH for season 2 of Discovery, and for the show as a whole!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I thought it was handled very well!

Great intro, very well handled with 'The Cage'.

Very strong episode.

New Spock is played eerily similar to Nimoys when he is not speaking gibberish.

So the Federation is kinda doomed in the future? And our time travelling angel is trying to prevent that? Id say were looking at a future Borg invasion that devastates the alpha quadrant.

The update to Talosian cosmetics worked very well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just off on a tangent here but could it be possible that Arium is somehow linked to the begining of the Borg?

Edit See that Murray is thinking along similar lines

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Just off on a tangent here but could it be possible that Arium is somehow linked to the begining of the Borg?

Edit See that Murray is thinking along similar lines

Its possible

Its also possible that S31's 'CONTROL AI' is to blame - consider - i dont think ash was in contact with Leiland - so that means it was Arium - but why would Arium who is obviously infected with some sort of future tech virus, contact s31 - unless the virus/AI wanted to warn its Previous self

DEFINITELY enthusiastic now - that was a decent episode

Although opinion is polarized - already found several reviews - some saying as i did - GREAT EP, others saying it was rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Phenomenal episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Best part was seeing the little cleaner robots flying around picking up the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

liamtech wrote: »
    Its possible

Its also possible that S31's 'CONTROL AI' is to blame - consider - i dont think ash was in contact with Leiland - so that means it was Arium - but why would Arium who is obviously infected with some sort of future tech virus, contact s31 - unless the virus/AI wanted to warn its Previous self

DEFINITELY enthusiastic now - that was a decent episode

Although opinion is polarized - already found several reviews - some saying as i did - GREAT EP, others saying it was rubbish

Yeah would make Georgiou's comment about AIs taking orders from her in the mirror universe very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭Rawr

Best part was seeing the little cleaner robots flying around picking up the mess.

Liked that too.
    Kind of ties into that time when Riker mentionsed that the ship "cleans itself".
    I always wondered what that implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Overall a solid episode, quite enjoyed it.

Love it:

Captains Log: Bam, straight to the point. Quick breakdown on what's going on.

That quick reference to The Cage at the start is great for fans who have no real knowledge of the pilot episode.

I really am enjoying the Doctors story line with his resurrection. Too often TV shows in the past kind of gloss over these things, but Discovery is doing a good job.

Not a fan of it:
    Young, bearded handsome bloke Spock. (I know the real ages of Nimoy and Peck aren't much different at the time of first playing the role)

I'm still not sure what timeline we're in. I know they say it's the prime timeline, but a lot of things (tech mostly) just don't line up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was a really cool episode! Spock, what a legend!
    Damn that was cold of Burnham!
    Overall the Talos IV story was done well.

Then like.. the Culbur and Tyler story going on!

AND this overall Section 31/Red Angel/Airiam plot. What is that next episode preview about! Going up against 31 and mines.. seems like a really bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭corkie

Opening clips had me thinking I downloaded the wrong show :)

MV5BNTQwNzU1NDkwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODEwODA1OA@@._V1_UY317_CR57,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Melissa George made a good Vena? Knew I recognized her from other shows.

Timeline rewrite explains why we never heard of Michael Burnham in other shows.

Edit: - Also rules out her as the Red Angel, how could she prevent her own death as a child? I known "time wibbly wobbly stuff"

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You in Politics

• Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps
    • Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Slydice wrote: »
    AND this overall Section 31/Red Angel/Airiam plot. What is that next episode preview about! Going up against 31 and mines.. seems like a really bad idea.

We have an invasive AI and section 31 depend upon their Control AI. They're due for a fall and the seeds of it are there it seems. The rise and fall of Section 31 may be as much of a story arc as the Red Angel is.

Spear wrote: »
    We have an invasive AI and section 31 depend upon their Control AI. They're due for a fall and the seeds of it are there it seems. The rise and fall of Section 31 may be as much of a story arc as the Red Angel is.

Yea i think your right ;) - S31 officially disbanded and stricken from the record - its a bit contrived, and you would have at least expected Sisko and co to have some knowledge of a rogue group in the 23rd century - but still - i can live with it!!! Obviously its officially disbanded but really just goes WAY under ground

I also think this is the proper timeline tbh - i know people are annoyed about the technology being more advanced looking but in all honesty - look at NX01 - ok its warp 5, and it has no shields but it looks WAY more advanced than a TOS era Constitution class ship - pads.. phasers.. the general controls

We cannot expect a modern show like discovery, or Enterprise for that matter, to look less advanced than a bridge created in the 60s! anyway thats my thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

One of the best episodes of Star Trek EVAH!!!!

- Previously on Star Trek
    - Hows that beard working for you?
    - Say goodbye Spock....

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Best episode of the series so far by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I thought it was only alright :-/

Parts of it were good I guess. Too much Section 31. I'm trying not to be too bothered by them but they're really embedded in the story now. Black leather wearing """secret""" thugs of the galaxy. And just seemed to be too many plot conveniences going on.

Other parts were alright though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Did they mention SQL in there somewhere?

Interesting developments in that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was on ok episode.

I actually thought the wrong episode was playing when it started at first.

I really am not into the Stamet's/Caliber story found that all very boring and letting the fight go on on front of what seemed like the whole crew bar Pike in the canteen. Hardly starfleet.

I think both Spock and Tyler with there beards look very scruffy and not so good.

I also still think its silly how much space is wasted in the ship and this episode showed a lot of that. Just look at Stamet's quarters for instance its bloody huge. Hell I would go as far as saying it looks like there is more room in there than on the whole Deck 1 of a Galaxy class ship.

I thought that the admirals that were talking to Leland and Georgia seemed to be very corrupt the way they were talking so nothing new there then.

The Tholosians looked good and Vena was well done and acted.

Ah now we know what Micheal done. That was cold but she done it for the right reason just the wrong way maybe.

The best part was the last 5 to 10 minutes do and now it really gets interesting.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Did they mention SQL in there somewhere?

Interesting developments in that episode.

Yes, they somehow managed to work in the astoundingly achronistic concept of a probe for 500 years in the future, of a series already set a good deal into the future, attempting to infiltrate the ships computer systems using SQL Injections.

What?

Are the federation running Windows Server 3000 or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

corkie wrote: »
    Opening clips had me thinking I downloaded the wrong show :)

Yeah, I thought my Google Home had misheard me and started playing some star trek documentary.

One thing I found disappointing about the episode was the revelation of what Michael had done to Spock to destroy their relationship. It had been built up so much that I thought she must have tried to stick things up his bum or something, but no, she basically said "go away, I don't like you". Seems like the kind of fight that normal siblings would have on a regular basis.

liamtech wrote: »
    I also think this is the proper timeline tbh - i know people are annoyed about the technology being more advanced looking but in all honesty - look at NX01 - ok its warp 5, and it has no shields but it looks WAY more advanced than a TOS era Constitution class ship - pads.. phasers.. the general controls

We cannot expect a modern show like discovery, or Enterprise for that matter, to look less advanced than a bridge created in the 60s! anyway thats my thoughts

People need to get the hell over this, and themselves. It's a show from 2019 prequel or no.

What a fecking episode. Every story line became interesting and moved along.
    I could even accept a Birth of the Borg (even though I would prefer not)

Anyone notice that the admirals in "charge" of S31 were each of the founding races. Human, Vulcan, Andorian, Tellarite
    Was that engineering tech, in the spore room, the original Arium?

Yup, that's the new character of Lt Nilson that Sara Mitich now plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

corkie wrote: »
    MV5BNTQwNzU1NDkwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODEwODA1OA@@._V1_UY317_CR57,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Melissa George played the part of "Angel" in Home & Away
    Could she be the Red angel after spending too much time on the beach in Summer Bay?
    (sorry couldn't resist! But thank you Corkie for identifying the actress!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You've got me thinking Vina with the help of the Tallosians is possibly the Red Angel now.
    Also guess what I spotted in The Undiscovered Country movie when I watched it recently? A holographic communicator. So there is precedent for those to be around in this era of time.
    It was very good I thought. The updates to the look of Talos 4 and it's inhabitants was very believable and the story was coherent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The producers have already said its the prime timeline, and lets be honest the technology has nothing to do with timelines, its bizarre that this is even a thing. Just ignore it, it’s not a problem.

The opening completely confused me. I remember last year downloading an episode of Lost in Space, the new version, but got an old episode instead and this made me feel like it had happened again. I liked it though. Felt like it was needed as trying to explain the back story within the episode would have been very expositiony.

I liked that episode. I mostly dislike flashback/dream sequence episodes of anything due to how boring it is but the bits thry did here kept it short I thought.

What was with the fish bowl lens thing they were doing in the turbo lift and hallways? I know it’s not really important but it’s like they are trying to make seemingly boring scenes like turbo lift rides and hallway conversations into something cool to look at but I generally found it distracting to the conversation going on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

One thing I found disappointing about the episode was the revelation of what Michael had done to Spock to destroy their relationship. It had been built up so much that I thought she must have tried to stick things up his bum or something, but no, she basically said "go away, I don't like you". Seems like the kind of fight that normal siblings would have on a regular basis.

This annoyed me too. She basically did what John litgow did to Bigfoot in the 80s film Bigfoot and the hendersons. “We don’t want you anymore !! “

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

This annoyed me too. She basically did what John litgow did to Bigfoot in the 80s film Bigfoot and the hendersons. “We don’t want you anymore !! “

Ha ha ha ha. Of all the references anyone could ever make I never saw this one coming!

People need to get the hell over this, and themselves. It's a show from 2019 prequel or no.

What a fecking episode. Every story line became interesting and moved along.
    I could even accept a Birth of the Borg (even though I would prefer not)

Anyone notice that the admirals in "charge" of S31 were each of the founding races. Human, Vulcan, Andorian, Tellarite

I couldnt agree more - honestly i would not worry about aesthetics when it comes to star trek - the aesthetics will change depending when a series/movie is created

Here is an example few have noticed!!

Watch star trek 5 (if you can, i know its painful) - and note the bridge - all of the controls are touch screen

Now watch Star trek 6 - all of the controls have been UPGRADED to buttons!!

Also its totally clear that the set used, corridors, engineering, are from the Galaxy Class Enterprise D!!!!

Honestly, until something insane happens in discovery (they encounter the Borg who name themselves - Vulcan or other founding members of the Federation are wiped out- people we KNOW have an impact in future series are killed), then i really think people should assume this is prime time line and just move on!!!

Only my opinion!

As for Section 31's admirals - yea that was interesting - each of the founding members must have had a covert agency like the CIA and they incorporated into S31 of the United Earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Star Trek V never happened :D:D :D

Although I really liked the bridge in VI

Advertisement