Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grid Tie Inverter EN 50438 & ESB

• 07-03-2019 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Planning on installing PV solar up to 6kw.
    Do I need to inform the ESB that I'm installing a grid tie inverter which complies to EN50438?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi Brian,

Is it a DIY !?
    Then PDF form attached.
    You need to send a form completed and signed over to them.

Please note that there is no payment for export of electricity.
    Higly advise you to install a standard digital meter and not an analog type...or an import/export type either.

Good luck.

474867.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Yes you do need to inform ESB of the Grid inverter you are installing. It needs to comply with the Irish specific conditions within EN50483 which means your choice of inverter will be limited. EN50483 is an EU wide specification but Ireland has more restrictive limits within this general certification. The manufacturers will give you a certificate showing the inverters compliance if it conforms correctly.
    Having an inverter that does not comply risks your system being shut down by ESB so not worth taking the chance in my view. Being a safety compliance issue means ESB will take a dim view of non compliant equipment attached to their network.

Advertisement