Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Better Oblivion Community Centre - Vicar Street

Options
  • 03-03-2019 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

Conor oberst's new band are playing May 13th.
    Tickets are already on sale, I picked up some, should be an interesting night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah, I've heard some less than complimentary reviews of the album but I like it. I've got my ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Are they just not selling seated tickets for this? Think I'd prefer them for this gig.

Phoebe Bridgers is fantastic as well as Conor so should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Are they just not selling seated tickets for this? Think I'd prefer them for this gig.

Phoebe Bridgers is fantastic as well as Conor so should be good.

It's a standing show, I'm sure the balcony seats are available. Sitting downstairs in vicar street is awful anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭mosstin

I love Phoebe Bridgers, have gone off Conor Oberst but listened to the album anyway - very, very average. Boygenius' EP from last year is much better.

EyesClosed wrote: »
    It's a standing show, I'm sure the balcony seats are available. Sitting downstairs in vicar street is awful anyway.

No sorry I meant the balcony seats rather than downstairs. The balcony doesn't seem to be on sale at all.

• Advertisement

No sorry I meant the balcony seats rather than downstairs. The balcony doesn't seem to be on sale at all.

Ohh yea, that is really strange

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Weird I thought this was sold out! Checked after about 20 mins and no tix at all were available

Have mine anyway, looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Not gonna be able to make this after all, have 2 standing tix to shift if anyone is looking. Seems to be only balcony left I think.

maximoose wrote: »
    Not gonna be able to make this after all, have 2 standing tix to shift if anyone is looking. Seems to be only balcony left I think.

Stick em on toutless

Anyone any idea of stage times for tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

8:30PM - Christian Lee Hutson
    9:30PM - Better Oblivion Community Center

From the Selective Memory Twitter page.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

8:30PM - Christian Lee Hutson
    9:30PM - Better Oblivion Community Center

From the Selective Memory Twitter page.

Brilliant, thanks

That was flipping great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So are they better than a normal community centre.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Best community centre I've ever heard, BD. That was not what I expected, lots of big guitar from Conor, great lights, really rocked it in places. The tender stuff was beautiful, Phoebe's got a killer voice. I've never seen her before but I was blown away by her. Incredible versions of Lua and Scott Street. Even the support, Christian, band member, was great. Funny guy. Delighted I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Lime Tree, Lua, Funeral and Scott Street all magnificent. The unlikely punk rock reinterpretation of Funeral is insane. Christian Lee Hutson was superb, and won the room over almost immediately. I was expecting BOCC to be good, but they probably even exceeded my expectations; Phoebe is just amazing.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

Lime Tree, Lua, Funeral and Scott Street all magnificent. The unlikely punk rock reinterpretation of Funeral is insane. Christian Lee Hutson was superb, and won the room over almost immediately. I was expecting BOCC to be good, but they probably even exceeded my expectations; Phoebe is just amazing.

Funeral blew my mind. I also love Phoebe singing Conor's songs and then him singing hers, GREAT idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Enjoyed gig bar some dickwit coming over whilst support act performing and saying to quieten down as gigs are nt for chatting at 😠

Lime tree a major highlight

Enjoyed gig bar some dickwit coming over whilst support act performing and saying to quieten down as gigs are nt for chatting at ��

If you want to chat why not stay in the bar?

People in Ireland have very little respect for support acts

• Advertisement

If you want to chat why not stay in the bar?

People in Ireland have very little respect for support acts

Not sure if you were there but this one got plenty of respect. Agree with the sentiment, though.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Not sure if you were there but this one got plenty of respect. Agree with the sentiment, though.

Yes apologies I wasn't able to make this gig so was just responding to that comment, sounds positive

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭RamonD3

Love to see musicians enjoying themselves rather than going through the motions. They looked like they were having such fun interpreting each others songs!

I think complete silence while an act is performing is just wrong. It's not a library after all. As long as not chatting loudly I just don't see it as an issue. Diff of opinions simply

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, it's a concert, where people have paid money to hear music. not some bellends talking.
    chatting quietly (in your opinion) and many others doing the same ends up as a loud din which makes it harder to hear the actual music.

there's few things more c-unty than talking while an act is playing.
    as FD said, it's highly disrespectful to the musicians.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Chatting QUIETLY should not be issue and will certainly remain my stance. Guy was having a bad day I suspect hence his no talking full-stop policy. Or perhaps diehard fan, but still can t stop people from chatting bit quietly.
    yeah, it's a concert, where people have paid money to hear music. not some bellends talking.
    chatting quietly (in your opinion) and many others doing the same ends up as a loud din which makes it harder to hear the actual music.

there's few things more c-unty than talking while an act is playing.
    as FD said, it's highly disrespectful to the musicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I think you hit the nail on the head. Chatting QUIETLY should not be issue and will certainly remain my stance. Guy was having a bad day I suspect hence his no talking full-stop policy. Or perhaps diehard fan, but still can t stop people from chatting bit quietly.

But loads of people talking quietly just doesn't work, for me anyway.

People should go to the bar, preferably across the road, if they want to chat :)
    They should do like school and split up chatty friends haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

But the problem is that most people don't chat quietly, especially when there's loud music, they have to talk louder to be heard. I see a gig as the same thing as going to the cinema- I'm paying to see the artist perform. Those who can't go without chatting should just stay in the bar IMO, not go to a gig as background music

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

But the problem is that most people don't chat quietly, especially when there's loud music, they have to talk louder to be heard. I see a gig as the same thing as going to the cinema- I'm paying to see the artist perform. Those who can't go without chatting should just stay in the bar IMO, not go to a gig as background music

Agreed. And it's not even restrictive like a cinema. Quick chat between songs, or if the gig-goer feels like they need to express themselves, sing along where appropriate. And like you say, if you have 200 people in an audience trying to chat quietly, it amplifies over the music. I don’t get it. If at a gig, and listening to the performer, what becomes absolutely necessary to talk about during a song. I’ve had several gigs ruined by shLte talk at gigs. Trying to reposition myself away from talking groups only works sometimes. Ending up beside other dlckheads.

This whole issue will always rear it’s head, and will be controversial. Some will want complete reverence to be provided to the performer. Whilst others treat the occasion like a social night out with friends and the performer/performance is secondary to that. I wish that everybody was in the former category, but unfortunately they are not. The one thing that mystifies me is why people would spend 40 or 50 quid just to attend such a setting, and then not care about the music and constant chat over the music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

well no, you seem to have completely missed my point. chatting quietly IS an issue, and anyone doing it during a gig should stop being such a tw@t and f-uck off somewhere else if they want to have a chat. the guy was dead right, and i'm sure various people around you thought the same but just didn't say anything.

Advertisement