Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Awards 2018/19 - RESULTS!

• 02-03-2019 5:45pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's that time of the year again, which means...

Nominations are open for this year's Film Awards https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=480

This is the second year of our trimmed down categories, so no waiting - all nominations threads are up now! As usual, we welcome any feedback or suggestions.

As noted in the nomination threads, eligible films must have been released in Irish cinemas between April 2018 and March 2019, which means most of the Oscar nominees are eligible. If anyone has any questions about eligibility, ask here.

If I get around to it I might put up a shortlist of significant films in the major categories to help remind people.

Anyway, enjoy and thanks for participating! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A far from definitive list of films released between April of last year and March of this year. Probably very lacking in a few areas, especially documentary and animation and stuff that went straight to streaming or Blu-ray, but it might help jog people's memories. Includes some upcoming films.

Let me know of anything major missing or that shouldn't be there.

A Quiet Place
    Death Wish remake
    Ghost Stories
    Love, Simon
    Thoroughbreds
    Wonderstruck
    Let the Sunshine In
    Avengers: Infinity War
    I Feel Pretty
    The Young Karl Marx
    Tully
    Anon
    How to Talk to Girls at Parties
    Revenge
    The Cured
    Deadpool 2
    Allure
    Jeune Femme
    On Chesil Beach
    Solo A Star Wars Story
    Ismael's Ghosts
    L'Amant Double
    Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    Hereditary
    Ocean's 8
    Adrift
    Leave No Trace
    Sicario 2
    The Endless
    Vagabond
    Mary Shelley
    Terminal
    Skyscraper
    First Reformed
    Incredibles 2
    Escape Plan 2
    Mamma Mia 2
    Mission Impossible Fallout
    Antman and the Wasp
    The Meg
    Christopher Robin
    The Equaliser 2
    The Spy Who Dumped Me
    BlacKKKlansman
    Cold War
    Upgrade
    The Nun
    The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    The Predator
    Crazy Rich Asians
    King of Thieves
    Lucky
    The Rider
    Climax
    Black 47
    A Star is Born
    Venom
    Columbus
    Bad Times at the El Royale
    First Man
    Mandy
    Halloween
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Juliet Naked
    Widows
    Overlord
    Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    Outlaw King
    They Shall Not Grow Old
    Wildlife
    Won't You Be My Neighbour
    Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald
    Suspiria
    Robin hood
    The Girl in the Spider's Web
    Shoplifters
    Creed II
    Disobedience
    Ralph Breaks the Internet
    Roma
    The Possession Of Hannah Grace
    The Wild Pear Tree
    Sorry to Bother You
    The Old Man and the Gun
    Tulip Fever
    Aquaman
    Spider-man into the Spider-verse
    Free Solo
    Moral Engines
    The House that Jack Built
    Mary Poppins Returns
    Bumblebee
    The Favourite
    Welcome To Marwen
    Life itself
    One cut of the Dead
    Colette
    Beautiful Boy
    Glass
    Mary Queen of Scots
    Destroyer
    The Mule
    Vice
    Burning
    Can you Ever forgive Me
    Escape Room
    Green Book
    Alita Battle Angel
    Boy Erased
    If Beale Street Could Talk
    The Lego Movie 2
    Happy Death Day 2U
    Cold Pursuit
    On the Basis of Sex
    The Hole in the Ground
    Captain Marvel
    Everybody Knows
    Rosie
    Girl
    Under the Silver Lake
    Us
    Captive State

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Probably saw fewer new films in the past year than previous years, which my nominations definitely reflect. I must try to get to the cinema a bit more this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Should we allow some overlap with films released in March of last year? Though technically eligible then, they might have featured more strongly in the nominations had they been released earlier. Some of them came out March 30th just as we closed nominations.

Red Sparrow
    Fantastic Woman
    Wonder Wheel
    You Were Never Really Here
    Mary Magdalene
    The Square
    Tomb Raider
    A Wrinkle in Time
    Pacific Rim Uprising
    Unsane
    Ready Player One
    Isle of Dogs
    Journeyman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Seems fair, given when these awards pop up, that the overlapping films get a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I definitely think it's missing the Best supporting Actor/Actress categories. Would be nice to see those return imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Though looking at that list I realise I've seen far fewer movies than I thought I did over the last 12 months :(

Also, what defines as 'indie' in this case? Is it related to the studio who released it, or whether it got general release?

It's an imperfect category with a lot of grey areas and exceptions to the rule, but I would define "indie" as not made by one of the big studios, low budget (20ish mill and below), having a limited release, and spending a fair bit of time on the festival circuit. Style is also a potentially big factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pixelburp wrote: »
    Though looking at that list I realise I've seen far fewer movies than I thought I did over the last 12 months :(

Me too :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bump for the mid-week crew - please do throw your nominations in, because only then do you have the right to complain that your own choice didn't make the cut :P

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hi all, last few days to nominate so please do - a few quiet categories so you can easily tip the balance!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=480

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

No "Worst Film" category?
    I had 4 nominations for "The Predator" ready

Final push: will close the threads tomorrow evening so please do nominate if you haven't already!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=480

Thanks to everybody for nominating... now’s the time to vote!

Major thanks as ever to Mr E for putting together the survey. It’ll stay open until mid next week so make sure to get your votes in.

https://bit.ly/2uJ67yI

Voted! I do wonder if sticky threads get a little lost, considering (IIRC) on the new mobile site they're' hidden by default.

Voted! I do wonder if sticky threads get a little lost, considering (IIRC) on the new mobile site they're' hidden by default.

We did less bumping of the thread prior to making it a sticky this year, so maybe that contributed to it. I've raised the issue of the responsive site hiding sticky threads in the past but have given up trying to cater to multiple versions of the site, especially half-baked/abandoned ones. I just assume any regulars use the legacy/touch sites.

Participation in the awards has being falling for several years now though. I forgot to nominate in several categories myself which didn't help matters.

Don't forget to vote!

Hi all,

Voting closes tomorrow so do get your votes in ASAP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Done

• Advertisement

Final bump for the last few hours of voting :)

The results have been robustly tabulated, and you can find them below! Once again, myself and Sad Professor would like to thank Mr E for arranging the poll. And of course thanks to everybody who nominated and/or voted :)

Best Actress
    Olivia Colman - The Favourite

Best Actor
    Joaquin Phoenix - You Were Never Really Here

Best Newcomer (Acting)
    Lady Gaga - A Star is Born

Best Irish Film
    Black 47

Best Dumb Fun

Best Visuals
    Spider-man: Into The Spider-verse

Best Scene
    Avengers Infinity War - the snap

Film that deserved better
    Spider-man into the Spider-verse

Best Screenplay
    Isle of Dogs

Best Soundtrack
    Bohemian Rhapsody

Best Documentary
    Free Solo

Best Foreign Language
    Roma

Best Director
    Alfonso Cuarón - Roma

Best Director (Newcomer)
    John Krasinski - A Quiet Place

Best Animated film
    Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse

Best Indie / Arthouse
    The Favourite

Best Hollywood / Blockbuster Film

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Spider-verse deserves more than just a puny Oscar?

Mission Impossible: Fallout didn't win a single gong? That's oddly disappointing.

Mission Impossible: Fallout didn't win a single gong? That's oddly disappointing.

I blame Marvel fans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I blame Marvel fans.
    As do I!

I have complete Avengers ennui at this point, and thought MI: Fallout was the best popcorn blockbuster in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Dades wrote: »
    As do I!

I have complete Avengers ennui at this point, and thought MI: Fallout was the best popcorn blockbuster in years.

Yeah, well that's.... like..... your opinion ..... man!

Advertisement