Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA Player Expenses

• 03-03-2019 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Just wondering what the usual scenario is with inter county players and expenses?

The fuel allowance is something like 65c a km? I'm sure there are food and supplement expenses also?

I was trying to add it all up in my head but seems like a lot of players would be coming away with roughly 1k a month in expenses?

Not a bad little sum in fairness, I understand there's a commitment but with most lads training 2-3 nights a week with clubs in various other sports getting nothing, put into context it's not bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

patoh1 wrote: »
    Just wondering what the usual scenario is with inter county players and expenses?

The fuel allowance is something like 65c a km? I'm sure there are food and supplement expenses also?

I was trying to add it all up in my head but seems like a lot of players would be coming away with roughly 1k a month in expenses?

Not a bad little sum in fairness

They deserve every bit of it. Match every weekend, training twice a week at least.
    I think 1k is over optimistic and if its coming from the county boards, it might be a long while before you see that money or at the proper rate.

County managers getting very big bucks. GAA taking in very large gates every weekend even at league matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 patoh1

kala85 wrote: »
    They deserve every bit of it. Match every weekend, training twice a week at least.
    I think 1k is over optimistic and if its coming from the county boards, it might be a long while before you see that money or at the proper rate.

County managers getting very big bucks. GAA taking in very large gates every weekend even at league matches.

Not disagreeing with that at all. I'm 100% in favour of it being amateur but players shouldn't be left out of pocket either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I wouldn't begrudge them either. All those players out over the weekend, getting kicked and smacked around, are probably expected in work tomorrow.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I wouldn't begrudge them either. All those players out over the weekend, getting kicked and smacked around, are probably expected in work tomorrow.

Well to be fair I think you can say that for 99% of the people that play sport in this country and most do it for no expense.

The reason I think the inter county lads deserve it is because they can't make up an excuse for missing training, there's drinking bans etc. But the fact that they're out playing and expected in work, sure that goes for everyone in any sport.

I just never thought about how much their expenses might amount to, it's not bad in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Well to be fair I think you can say that for 99% of the people that play sport in this country and most do it for no expense.

The reason I think the inter county lads deserve it is because they can't make up an excuse for missing training, there's drinking bans etc. But the fact that they're out playing and expected in work, sure that goes for everyone in any sport.

I just never thought about how much their expenses might amount to, it's not bad in fairness.

Was brought home to me how much these lads put in when the Gooch said the main thing he'd look forward to when he retired was taking a family holiday in June, July or August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,712 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would the 0.65c be for travelling too training, matches etc ??? Not stuff like too the other half house, shopping etc

Surly they get buses/car share too away games

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Would the 0.65c be for travelling too training, matches etc ??? Not stuff like too the other half house, shopping etc

Surly they get buses/car share too away games

I think it’s for traveling to training and gym sessions! They’d take a bus etc for games.

I’ve heard of figures of about €8-10,000 a year in expenses so that’s why I was wondering and tried to figure out what expenses they get. The fuel expense is 65c a km so that doesn’t stretch to €8,000 so I assume they’re getting food and supplement allowances too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Indeed 99% of the people who play sport do but these guys are only amateur in name but are professional in all their endeavours.

I don't believe you can realistically expect that there is the same level of discipline and self sacrifice as at the inter county level except at the most elite level of other sports within the country.

I am only delighted that they are hopefully very well compensated.Some of these football and hurling/camogie players are left with the aftermaths of crippling injuries in later life.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,712 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think it’s for traveling to training and gym sessions! They’d take a bus etc for games.

I’ve heard of figures of about €8-10,000 a year in expenses so that’s why I was wondering and tried to figure out what expenses they get. The fuel expense is 65c a km so that doesn’t stretch to €8,000 so I assume they’re getting food and supplement allowances too.

Pretty hard thing too track tbh unless they know the exact distance from work/players accommodation too gym/venue etc

Well deserved and I imagine esp lads from less successful teams.

What's with all the managers travelling from other counties for 'love of the game' ???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The fuel expense is 65c a km so that doesn’t stretch to €8,000 so I assume they’re getting food and supplement allowances too.

Depends on the to/from obviously, but a Mayo player living in Dublin could have €8,000 in mileage in 2-3 months.

500km round trip, 3 times a week (2 training & 1 match) = €975

Not saying that's what they're on but that's based on the rate mentioned. It's even better when someone else is driving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,562 ✭✭✭shmeee

There is a set allowance for food shopping weekly, it ain't much to be honest. Players keep their receipts and might get €30 or so a week then.

Payments aren't made until the end of the year for the majority and then takes a while to get the expenses from the County Board.

So it's not like they are pulling in 1k a month on a regular basis into their account.

They deserve every penny and more.

Know a good few involved and it's nearly a full time job being a inter-county player at a high level.

Advertisement