Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is coinbase.com a good place to buy Litecoin and Ethereum?

• 19-02-2019 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭

Hi.

It's got terrible reviews on https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/coinbase.com but I'm wondering if anyone here has had positive experience with it.

Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

It's got terrible reviews on https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/coinbase.com but I'm wondering if anyone here has had positive experience with it.

Cheers.

I never had any problems with Coinbase. They charge high fees though so I always went with the other site they own which is Gdax which charged much lower fees (makes no sense I know)

Anyway gdax is now called Coinbase pro so I’m unsure of what Coinbase pro is all about.

Maybe another poster will explain.
    Google about Coinbase and Coinbase pro.

Btw Coinbase is completely safe if that’s what your wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

I never had any problems with Coinbase. They charge high fees though so I always went with the other site they own which is Gdax which charged much lower fees (makes no sense I know)

Anyway gdax is now called Coinbase pro so I’m unsure of what Coinbase pro is all about.

Maybe another poster will explain.
    Google about Coinbase and Coinbase pro.

Btw Coinbase is completely safe if that’s what your wondering.

Hi Bigmac1euro. Seems like decent info on it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/aa1f8a/coinbase_vs_coinbase_pro/

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Hi Bigmac1euro. Seems like decent info on it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/aa1f8a/coinbase_vs_coinbase_pro/

Sorry I remember now.
    You buy your tokens on Coinbase and move them to Coinbase pro for free then trade to other exchanges for a much smaller fee. Rather than sending from Coinbase directly to binance etc.

Coinbase pro essentially works as the middle man.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

Sorry I remember now.
    You buy your tokens on Coinbase and move them to Coinbase pro for free then trade to other exchanges for a much smaller fee. Rather than sending from Coinbase directly to binance etc.

Coinbase pro essentially works as the middle man.

The no fees method is deposit fiat into Coinbase then move that to Coinbase Pro and do a non-market buy trade there. You can withdraw crypto from Coinbase Pro without fees too I believe.

Haven't tried a SEPA transfer directly to Coinbase Pro or know if that has any fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Binance accept credit card now which would be my choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 thisnoize7

Truckermal wrote: »
    Binance accept credit card now which would be my choice.

Can anybody confirm if this is true for debit cards also?

What is the total fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭el diablo

Kraken is a better option in my opinion. Free SEPA transfers and you can put in a limit order and get aget your BTC/LTC etc at a far better rate than you would on Coinbase.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

el diablo wrote: »
    Kraken is a better option in my opinion. Free SEPA transfers and you can put in a limit order and get aget your BTC/LTC etc at a far better rate than you would on Coinbase.

My SEPA transfers are free to Coinbase; and using their gdax platform, now coinbase|pro, I get my coins at exactly the price I decide for zero fees using limit orders.

Me? No. Pure-blood Irish! :D

Is it possible to buy ethereum, litecoin, etc on CB and later move to some other wallet (either an offline wallet or a different websites online wallet)?

• Advertisement

Yes

Yes

Hi CR. Would it incur large charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Hi CR. Would it incur large charges?

Not large, no. Currencies do differ in transaction expense depending on network usage but current costs across all chains are fairly low. Might pay $0.20 to send ETH to an outside wallet if you need it confirmed quickly, same with BTC if you want next-block confirmation. If you can afford to wait then those costs drop to a cent or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I see there’s a movement starting to boycott Coinbase because they’ve bought some company associated with hacking tools used to catch journalists and other members of the resistance movement in countries with terrible human rights records.

Yeah, that's very off-putting. Probably won't have too much of an effect long-term given the vast majority only pay lip-service when it comes to privacy. Funny move, I guess it's a means of sating government desires beyond KYC? An insurance against further arm-twisting if some agency starts needling them about movements of funds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

There are decent but I wouldn't hold a good amount of coins on the website itself. Transfer them to your offline wallet. My one big gripe with Coinbase is the huge fees and when I went to cash out, it took them ages to give me my money.

I see there’s a movement starting to boycott Coinbase because they’ve bought some company associated with hacking tools used to catch journalists and other members of the resistance movement in countries with terrible human rights records.

Hi JohnnyFlash. What company did they buy?

Hi JohnnyFlash. What company did they buy?

Neutrino. Ostensibly to protect your data, but people are wary because Neutrino's team are bad actors amoral scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

grindle wrote: »
    Neutrino. Ostensibly to protect your data, but people are wary because Neutrino's team are bad actors amoral scum.

Amoral as in they enforce tax compliance?

Amoral as in they enforce tax compliance?

Amoral as in they've produced spyware/malware for the benefit of some of the world's most repressive governments.

Maybe you don't give a toss about that. Some do.

• Advertisement

Amoral as in they've produced spyware/malware for the benefit of some of the world's most repressive governments.

Maybe you don't give a toss about that. Some do.

Which repressive governments? I'm genuinely interested.

That's about a group called "Hacking team". I thought we were talking about Neutrino.

**** me, the ettercap guys?

Yeah, same team. YMMV but it wouldn't want those scumbags near my data.

Ettercap was a lot of fun though. They are geniuses. Evil perhaps but very very smart.

Yeah, the whole being evil thing overrides the smarts for me. There are plenty of intelligent ruthlesss scumbags around, none get a pass for despicable actions just because they're smart. Once their software started landing on the devices of journalists and political dissidents because they were paid for their services, they proudly accepted a paycheck and earned the eternal title 'Nefarious Scum'. No backsies.

They'll still carry on being evil pricks and making shedloads of money, won't matter to them either way.

Yeah, the whole being evil thing overrides the smarts for me. There are plenty of intelligent ruthlesss scumbags around, none get a pass for despicable actions just because they're smart. Once their software started landing on the devices of journalists and political dissidents because they were paid for their services, they proudly accepted a paycheck and earned the eternal title 'Nefarious Scum'. No backsies.

They'll still carry on being evil pricks and making shedloads of money, won't matter to them either way.
    Are they more or less evil than the multiple western countries selling Saudi Arabia weapons?

Are they more or less evil than the multiple western countries selling Saudi Arabia weapons?

Roughly the same amount of evil - any purpose to the whataboutery?

Am I supposed to support the actions of scumbags because they're westerners and I'm a westerner too? Hardly, our status as westerners is an accident of birth.

Are HackingTeam's deplorable ethical standards to be given the all-clear because goverments behave like scumbags too? Odd logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Aparantly coinbase have fired neutrino so we can go back to using it now.

Advertisement