Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Routes 18, 76, 76A to Switch to Go-Ahead from 24th March

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Better off-peak frequency all round. Peak times similar numbers, slightly skewed times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

That overall increase in departures on the 76 is welcome, but at the moment it gets bogged down in too much unpredictable traffic, causing delays and cancellations. I can't see any meaningful leeway provided in the new timetable to provide recovery time if buses get delayed.

I thought the 76A would have been beefed up more too, so a bit disappointed with that.

I really hope it works out though because at present the 76 seems to have a particular reputation for being unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Disappointing on the 76A.

TBH it would have been better if the 239 was extended to tallaght from Liffey valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

thomasj wrote: »
    Disappointing on the 76A.

TBH it would have been better if the 239 was extended to tallaght from Liffey valley.

There is an increase but there really should be weekend services on the route however bus connects does not appear to support running services on the M50 for somewhat understandable reasons so perhaps the NTA may have taken that into consideration when deciding not to increase services on the 76a.

I'm somewhat surprised that the 18 hasn't been extended to Liffey Valley as the 26 was. I wonder why they've published the timetable so early in advance of service of commencement compared to other changeovers.

I also believe the 102 will be going back to double deck operation again on the 24th March so I wonder what they will be doing with the Streetlites if that's the case?

Stephen15 wrote:
    There is an increase but there really should be weekend services on the route however bus connects does not appear to support running services on the M50 for somewhat understandable reasons so perhaps the NTA may have taken that into consideration when deciding not to increase services on the 76a.

That's why I think the 239 should have been extended to go direct to tallaght from Liffey valley (maybe via clondalkin.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I also believe the 102 will be going back to double deck operation again on the 24th March so I wonder what they will be doing with the Streetlites if that's the case?

It won't. Might be mixed but it won't be double deck full time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That's why I think the 239 should have been extended to go direct to tallaght from Liffey valley (maybe via clondalkin.)

My recollection of it, the 239 route was harsh enough as a passenger from blanch to liffey valley. The 210 got dropped after it was changed from liffey valley to crumlin, to, liffey valley to tallaght.

The issue with the 76 is the schools and colleges on its route, with 2 major shopping centres at either end of it. I don't think extending the 239 is going to relieve a lot of that. As a great deal of people on 76a would likely be aiming for bcfe as much as itt.

The issue with the 76 is the schools and colleges on its route, with 2 major shopping centres at either end of it. I don't think extending the 239 is going to relieve a lot of that. As a great deal of people on 76a would likely be aiming for bcfe as much as itt.

Just make the 239 the direct route from Liffey valley to tallaght , for everywhere else, let people change over to the 76.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Just make the 239 the direct route from Liffey valley to tallaght , for everywhere else, let people change over to the 76.

And ditch lucan in the middle? A route doesn't just serve its end points.

I mean direct from Liffey valley to tallaght with the 76 covering intermediate stops between. The 239 would stay the same between Blanchardstown and liffey valley.

• Advertisement

But theres little point in extending the 239. The 76 just needs extra frequency. If someone wants to go on, to tallaght, they can transfer easily. That's why the 210 went.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There is a 24/7 Bus Lane on most of the Cheeverstown Road towards Grange Castle and Lucan and on much of the road from Newlands Cross to Liffey Valley via Dunawley towards Liffey Valley. A route could cut across Ballydowd, Ballyowen or Balgaddy, or even a loop into Esker if you are feeling frisky. Routes on these corridors would not compromise the 76 and they would help to open up some of Lucan, Clondalkin and Tallaght to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A quick reminder that if you currently use the DB mobile app for realtime monitoring of these services, you will need to switch to either the NTA app called 'RealTime Ireland' or Stephen McBride's 'Next Bus Dublin' app. Both of which cover DB and G-A services.

There is a 24/7 Bus Lane on most of the Cheeverstown Road towards Grange Castle and Lucan and on much of the road from Newlands Cross to Liffey Valley via Dunawley towards Liffey Valley. A route could cut across Ballydowd, Ballyowen or Balgaddy, or even a loop into Esker if you are feeling frisky. Routes on these corridors would not compromise the 76 and they would help to open up some of Lucan, Clondalkin and Tallaght to each other.

Before we start figuring out a route, we should see if theres actually a desire for anything focused from liffey valley to tallaght. The 210 died off because there was no demand at the time. With a lot of empty shops in liffey valley at present. I'd be unsure of where the demand would come from to have a regular additional link between the 2 that just cant simply be met by running more 76s. As that's what people seem to want to use.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Before we start figuring out a route, we should see if theres actually a desire for anything focused from liffey valley to tallaght. The 210 died off because there was no demand at the time. With a lot of empty shops in liffey valley at present. I'd be unsure of where the demand would come from to have a regular additional link between the 2 that just cant simply be met by running more 76s. As that's what people seem to want to use.

...The entire west side of Clondalkin/Lucan area? It's a large area and the 76 doesnt cover it. It's a 20+ min walk to a 76 stop for many. The demographics has long changed and population density has increased since the 210 was stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Bit disappointing was hoping they would re route the 76 to make it more reliable, can’t see there being much an improvement after the switch now the route is just to unreliable time wise can take anything from 35 mins to two hours to complete the route and busses show up whenever they feel like as once the morning peak hits the timetable is just guesswork

Perhaps there is and yes, it is essential to see if there is a need for same. With all of that in mind, let us be cognescent of the fact that there already is a bus lane infrastructure in situ, a huge urban sprawl, a lack of public transport options into the the D22 and D24 areas and, crucially, it is a car centred shopping facility. Huge tracts of Lucan and Clondalkin don't have a direct bus link to Liffey Valley, nor has a lot of Cherry Orchard or West Tallaght. Certainly Bawnogue and Deansrath lost a direct link to LV since the 210 was cancelled, not to mention most of Dublin 12.

Edit. Just found this that proposes a route to serve some of the areas referenced to. Not sure of it's entire route but it's something.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/6554/ND-%20Ballyfermot.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Edit. Just found this that proposes a route to serve some of the areas referenced to. Not sure of it's entire route but it's something.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/6554/ND-%20Ballyfermot.pdf

That's an ancient document at this stage, superceded by proposals under BusConnects.

That's an ancient document at this stage, superceded by proposals under BusConnects.

Well aware of same; it's just a mention of a proposed route for some of the areas mentioned earlier on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

What happened to the 166 wasn't that meant to be introduced along with the 175. How come the 175 was introduced in the end and the 166 wasn't introduced as GAI operated route or a DB route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

It’s curious as to why they didn’t bring weekend service to the 76A surely they’d get some shoppers using it of a Saturday or Sunday.

It’s curious as to why they didn’t bring weekend service to the 76A surely they’d get some shoppers using it of a Saturday or Sunday.

Maybe they think people connecting to the 239 at liffey valley via the 76 might do the job

Advertisement