Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1989 BMW 635CSi

• 29-01-2019 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My boss has a 1989 635CSi that he wants to put back on the road now that it's 30 years old. However the motor tax site is still giving tax rates based on engine size and isn't taking into account the vintage status.

I presume it only qualifies for vintage tax and insurance on it's 30th birthday i.e. the date of first registration which is April 1st? Therefore until then it remains on engine size?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah, wait until its birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

As above, wait till birthday.
    Also worth noting that it doesnt automatically change to vintage classification, you have to request this at the MTO (or possibly with a change of particulars form)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

ELM327 wrote: »
    As above, wait till birthday.
    Also worth noting that it doesnt automatically change to vintage classification, you have to request this at the MTO (or possibly with a change of particulars form)

Same boat here, counting down the days till I change my E34 to vintage in March and having that €56 tax disc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ELM327 wrote: »
    ....Also worth noting that it doesnt automatically change to vintage classification, you have to request this at the MTO..
    This. You occasionally see an 'ordinary' car over 30 years with the normal tax. Presumably the owners don't know about the classic status and the MTO don't say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Thanks all for the replies. I'll relay this to him.

• Advertisement

One other question - Matt Simis mentioned that on his 850CSi, the S was of huge importance to the car compared to an 850Ci. Does the same logic apply to the 635CSi or was the S just applicable to the 850?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

One other question - Matt Simis mentioned that on his 850CSi, the S was of huge importance to the car compared to an 850Ci. Does the same logic apply to the 635CSi or was the S just applicable to the 850?

635s are all the same AFAIK - all CSi (Coupe Sport injection??)

There was also a 630 CS (carbs) in the late '70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

One other question - Matt Simis mentioned that on his 850CSi, the S was of huge importance to the car compared to an 850Ci.

He was right. It is the only one that has an M-sport tuned engine very similar to that used in the McLaren F1. The other V12 engines in the 850i and 850Ci are pretty ordinary in comparison :D

unkel wrote: »
    He was right. It is the only one that has an M-sport tuned engine very similar to that used in the McLaren F1. The other V12 engines in the 850i and 850Ci are pretty ordinary in comparison :D

I didn't doubt what he was saying about it, just wondering if the same thing applied to the 635 :)

I know this isn't the detailing forum but I said I'd post a few pics of the car after it got its paint enhancement/correction:

33336803378_a83185b65a_z.jpg

33336803188_f0fe02d7e2_z.jpg

33336803198_dea6324c54_z.jpg

The alloys are going to Rim Solutions for a full refurb soon so that will be the icing on the cake.

And a little comparison of what the paint was like beforehand:

Left polished, right with oxidation:

40167838223_4cba9a0dd4_z.jpg

47132900201_4896b4576f_z.jpg

47132899821_8a462d198b_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Beautiful job above.

A cousin of mine bought an '87 V12 XJS in the UK and the vendor stored it for him until its birthday. He drove off the Ferry in Rosslare on 30th Birthday +1 day and took great pleasure from bringing it for the VRT inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

He could have imported it up to 27 days before its birthday, once you present it afterwards its all that matters
    (I imported a 7.4 v8 Chevy Suburban and did exactly that)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

Pity the plates are not correct on that BMW.

w124man wrote: »

As in it needs the black/silver ones? I totally agree :)

EDIT: How would one go about registering a car as a classic and obtaining ZV plates?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lovely car, Meister.
    The plate police are out. :pac:

Black and silver plates wouldn't be correct either for an '87. But whatever you like on it is what matters.

I went for plain black on white on my '83, with no euro flags etc.

It's not mine Dades, it belongs to my boss. I just did the paint restoration for him.

As in it needs the black/silver ones? I totally agree :)

EDIT: How would one go about registering a car as a classic and obtaining ZV plates?

Black letters on white reflective will be correct for an 89 and why in God's name would you ZV plate a genuine Irish classic?

Dades wrote: »
    Lovely car, Meister.

The plate police are out. :pac:

Why screw up a lovely car with the wrong plates? Its in the detail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Black letters on white reflective will be correct for an 89 and why in God's name would you ZV plate a genuine Irish classic?

Judging by the plate that's an import. Could be wrong, but I don't think TN would have hit that high in 1989. Early-mid 90's would be my guess.

Gorgeous colour on that car, really suits it along with the blacked out chrome. Far too many are silver/grey/black.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

The correct plates for that car should be these; plain white plastic plates. I think eireplates does them

Oh00y8C.jpg

Also, you could put a ZV on it if you download and fill out form VRT35, send it along with the logbook to revenue in Rosslare and they'll send it back with your new ZV number and logbook

• Advertisement
Advertisement