Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dirty John [Bravo]

• 12-07-2018 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭

Eric Bana, Connie Britton, Juno Temple and Julia Garner cast in Bravo's Dirty John who got a two season order in January
    The scripted anthology series is based on the series of articles published by the Los Angeles Times last fall about a charismatic con man, John Meehan, and the consequences of an ill-fated romance. Connie Britton will star as Debra Newell, the single mother who fell in love with Meehan, who will be played by Eric Bana

Source - Variety

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Interesting one to adopt. The podcast and the supporting articles have a very distinctive, almost lurid style to them.

The storyline was really one of discovery where more and more came to light about John's activities.

There's a huge amount of baggage in John's past so plenty of material!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Didn't take to this at all. Whining Valley girl kids made it unwatchable and for me the plot was colour by numbers.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I watched it. It was ok to pass the time. I found Connie Britton and her daughters in the show very unlikable and annoying. I was hoping John would take them for all they were worth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I watched this last weekend. Eric Banna was good enough in it but the females (Debbie, her awful daughters and mother) made it more difficult than it should have to find sympathy for them. John’s first wife and his sister on the other hand I found to be much more sympathetic.

It is stated that what happened to Debbie’s sister goes a long way towards explaining how and why she and her mother let John away with so much. I’d have thought it would have in fact made them the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can't understand what season 2 is going to be about, obviously won't be based on true events? Or maybe they'll go into the past to when he was younger?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah I was a bit confused at the idea of a second season too.
    I doubt he is going to rise from the dead and find yet more women to exploit.
    Will it take a crazy turn whereby the organs donated from Dirty John possess the people who whom they have been donated and turn them into horrible humans???

Messing aside perhaps it will explore more of the childhood he had. I don’t really care though. I think one series was more than enough in telling this story.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

There's a documentary on Netflix about the real John as well. Worth a watch. The daughter Terra comes off as annoying in it as well.

Well done to Eric Bana as well, he did a great job. Haven't seen him in anything in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

There's a documentary on Netflix about the real John as well. Worth a watch. The daughter Terra comes off as annoying in it as well.

Well done to Eric Bana as well, he did a great job. Haven't seen him in anything in ages.

That's why I feel the acting in the show is really good, lot of the characters were annoying but they're annoying in reality also!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

If Terra and Tonnie are that irritating in real life then maybe we’ve been a little hard on John 😉

That's why I feel the acting in the show is really good, lot of the characters were annoying but they're annoying in reality also!

Julia Garner was very good. Her character in Ozark is strong and independent and her character here came across as needy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Just finished watching it last night, and have to admit that I was hooked from the beginning.Immediately went looking for YouTube videos of the real family, and the cast nailed it.
    Incredible story, well told imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Just finished watching it last night, and have to admit that I was hooked from the beginning.Immediately went looking for YouTube videos of the real family, and the cast nailed it.
    Incredible story, well told imo.

Agreed. I'm on episode 6, and I'm totally hooked. Eric Bana is fantastic in it, and the whole cast are spot on. None of the characters are particularly likeable though. Those two daughters would want a kick up the hole, especially Veronica. I feel sorry for the mother. Of course she would look to John for a better life, if the alternative is caring for those overgrown spoiled brats!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Just finished this, thought it was ok but watchable at first, then got very good towards the end. The last three episodes in particular were very strong, and I knew nothing about the story beforehand, so omg at that finale :eek:

Not sure a second series is necessary, but I'd give it a go anyway to see where they take it.

It is moving to USA Network for the 2nd season expected to air in 2020

Dirty John: The Betty Broderick Story.

The next show to be turned into an Anthology series.

Dirty John’: Amanda Peet & Christian Slater To Star In Season 2 Of Anthology On USA; Title & Subject Revealed
    Amanda Peet (The Romanoffs) and Mr. Robot’s Christian Slater are set to headline the second season of anthology series Dirty John, which will air on USA Network and be titled Dirty John: The Betty Broderick Story. Like the first installment, which aired on Bravo and starred Connie Britton and Eric Bana, the second will be based on a true crime story featuring an epic tale of love gone wrong. In Season 2, it is the story of convicted murderer Betty Broderick (Peet) and her ex-husband (Slater) that spans the 1960s to the ’80s and chronicles the breakdown of their marriage that Oprah deemed one of “America’s messiest divorces” even before it ended in double homicide

https://deadline.com/2019/09/dirty-john-amanda-peet-christian-slater-star-season-2-anthology-series-usa-title-subject-revealed-1202729164/

Season 2 trailer.

The 2nd season of Dirty John, subtitled The Betty Broderick Story, will receive its UK premiere on Netflix UK on Friday August 14th

Series 1 starts on 5Star on Saturday 10th April at 9pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow I totally forgot about the second series after watching the first. Was it any good?

Advertisement