Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Polestar 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I would drive that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Looks class

400bhp
    78kWh
    150kW ccs

59k limited edition to start with
    40k model in 2021

Only negative is its probably low volume

Would take one over Tesla Model 3

It's not a very large car, which is great. The wheelbase is only 35 mm longer than LEAF and length is about 120 mm more and about 90 mm shorter than Model 3. Great size actually. I still don't know if this is a hatchback or saloon. If hatch that would be a great improvement over the Model 3. interior looks busy in comparison but seems very nicely appointed. 400 km realistic range (500 WLTP is the target) would be savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

samih wrote: »
    It's not a very large car, which is great. The wheelbase is only 35 mm longer than LEAF and length is about 120 mm more and about 90 mm shorter than Model 3. Great size actually. I still don't know if this is a hatchback or saloon. If hatch that would be a great improvement over the Model 3. interior looks busy in comparison but seems very nicely appointed. 400 km realistic range (500 WLTP is the target) would be savage.

I’ve seen a few articles on top gear and Autocar saying it’s a hatchback or fastback as polestar is calling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

I'm not the biggest fan of the styling on the outside. Interior looks great though! More competition in this price bracket can only be a good thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm not the biggest fan of the styling on the outside. Interior looks great though! More competition in this price bracket can only be a good thing!

Normally love Volvo's design work, but this looks like an awkward mashup of a Volvo and a Citreon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That is fugly, would not have one.
    I'm still firmly an admirer of Teslas, iPace and etron

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

ELM327 wrote: »
    That is fugly, would not have one.
    I'm still firmly an admirer of Teslas, iPace and etron

The iPace is Fuglier than this though. Etron is ok, but not as sleek as any of the Teslas though...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think it looks class.

Tesla is now boring as fk to look at . I see various model s on the road daily and they are a snore fest

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

This is possibly the first EV that I am drooling over.

I think it looks fantastic.

Now, to get those Euromillions numbers tonight....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Ryath

More than a hint of the BMW X6 about it and I thought the GT 5 series was the ugliest BMW until I saw that . The liftback looks wrong on such a high car Polestar would look much better with a normal hatchback/estate style rear.

Pity they didn't put more of the concept car into the design.

volvo-concept-estate_100457948_l.jpg

Ryath wrote: »
    The liftback looks wrong on such a high car Polestar would look much better with a normal hatchback/estate style rear.

I'd say the liftback is done to improve the aerodynamics. Estate bodystyle increases the drag quite a bit and hatchback to a certain extent too. It's not a coincidence that Tesla Model S/3 and Ioniq have a liftback like profile and have the best high speed efficiency compared to other EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Have any of these arrived in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Polestar 2 styling is a real disappointment when compared to Volvo's ICE efforts .....

An EV with the styling direction of Volvo's ICE range would fly out the gate ......

Look at the XC40 and the V60 and V90 - those are on a different planet styling wise

Bjørn Nyland has first impressions video on now. I think this car really looks impressive. Love the styling both inside and out.

The navigation system and the instrument cluster looks very very good with the exception of the front centre console. And it's a hatchback with a very generous size boot. Samih likes a lot.

https://youtu.be/XfUNFBt8qAU

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I like it a lot too. I guess it's a direct competitor to the Tesla Model 3 LR AWD. Probably similarly priced (mid to late €50k here)? Or I guess more of a competitor to Model Y being a hatchback?

Drive tunnel in the back and very limited rear head space are not good though if you have 3 kids and some of them will be taller than Bjørn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Did Volvo buy up the old stock Saab 9-5 platforms?

krissovo wrote: »

No, but plenty of their engineers used to work for SAAB. The 9-5 were based on GM platforms but the company was in middle of developing a new own independent platform when it went down. NEVS continued the work and the further developed Phoenix 2 platform for BEVs will be the end result.

If those engineers are the same bucks who took a 1988 GM platform to a place where it was achieving euro NCAP 5 stars then I'm delighted to see them coming to BEVs .

Fine news .

Gives me happy vibes about this car that the styling couldn't bring

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

I was quite taken with the look & spec of this too so I sent an e mail to
    Polestar asking about launch in Ireland.
    There no plans to launch it here at the moment I’m afraid.

• Advertisement

krissovo wrote: »

You ask that because of the similarity in looks between the Polestar 2 and the 9-5? Maybe that's why I like it, I had one of those. And I believe samih did too?

unkel wrote: »
    You ask that because of the similarity in looks between the Polestar 2 and the 9-5?

To me they are identical and I do not mean in a bad way, 9-5 design is maturing like a good wine. Nice to see it live on was genuinely wondering if the design & tools was sold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

As expected roughly in line with the Model 3 pricing. Lower spec model will be interesting though. It's a lot cheaper!

An XC40 EV with a 78 kwh battery sounds like the basis of a fine machine .

XC40 well rated by reviewers as an ICE car - would take an inexplicable mess up to end up with an EV that's undesirable from that starting point

Yea, looks like the Polestar 2 is just a fancy XC40 with slighlty less space. And electric XC40 itself will also be introduced soon enough (2021 was mentioned). I wouldn't be a least bit suprised if that car was my next vehicle to eventually replace the L40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

That is a nice car.

That photo makes it look a little like American muscle, camero from the front? Interesting look as the rear screams dentist style Saab but not in a negative way. XC40 is an interesting choice of launch EV, the 60 is more of an all rounder so must be a cost driven choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/polestar-2-will-cost-fifty-grand

Top Gear say £49,900, sitting between Model 3 Long Range and Performance. Cheaper version to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Got a Goggle add for Polestar today. I had a look at the website.

Taking orders now and "on the road in 2020", possibly September, which is only 3 months away!

https://www.polestar.com/uk/polestar-2/

Looking like a great addition to EV options.

Advertisement