Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Detective Pikachu

• 12-11-2018 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭

First trailer...

In a world where people collect pocket-size monsters (pokemon) to do battle, a boy comes across an intelligent monster who seeks to be a detective.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

My head is exploding right now, I am so conflicted!

-Live action Pokémon?? Most look good, others not so much.

- Ryan Reynolds as pikachu? Take my money!

Overall: I AM SO CONFUSED!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

The Pokemon look weird but Pokemon are weird to begin with so it might work? Visually at least. Director did Goosebumps which I understand was good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu feels like a really bad piece of casting; I just heard Deadpool throughout the trailer and made the whole thing come off as incredibly insincere. Pikachu looks fluffy and super-cute and the world seems fairly earnest - but the voice is all wrong.

(I never got into Pokémon, nor am I a mad fan of Deadpool either so I'm way outside the audience for this one I suspect!)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Reminds me of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, except with Pokemon. I'm really interested to see how this shapes up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The look of the Pokemon themselves looks super weird. Like they changed them a bit to help them slot into a live action context... but not enough? It’s a bizarre project all-in-all, although not a fan of the Ryan Reynolds voice work compared to the endearingly serious Japanese voice they gave Pikachu in the game of the same name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu feels like a really bad piece of casting; I just heard Deadpool throughout the trailer and made the whole thing come off as incredibly insincere. Pikachu looks fluffy and super-cute and the world seems fairly earnest - but the voice is all wrong.

(I never got into Pokémon, nor am I a mad fan of Deadpool either so I'm way outside the audience for this one I suspect!)

Ya I agree, the one downside to the incredible success he had as Deadpool is that he is....well..... Deadpool now. Not only does his voice not suit Pikachu, but the dialogue said in a smart way is just Deadpool at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still wish they'd got Danny Devito to do the voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Still wish they'd got Danny Devito to do the voice.

I'm waiting for someone to dub in lines from Always Sunny into the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Big fan of the games so keen to see how this plays out. Would agree that Reynolds seems the wrong choice for the role, and I enjoyed him in Deadpool.

Hope this doesn't lead to Pikachu becoming a sassy, wise-ass character on the back of this movie.

It's a pity John Candy is no longer with us because I think he'd be a perfect human voice for Pikachu. I think of today's actors, John Goodman would have been a good fit.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I loved that trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I must be the only person walking around saying to myself that this film looks absolutely horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I never thought I'd be in my mid 20s walking up to a cinema counter saying "one of detective pikachu please"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I thought I was having my leg pulled when I was told about this and my mates were discussing the trailer.

Nope. It's real. I never thought I'd see the day when Ryan Reynolds was the voice of Pikachu. That sentence alone is nuts.

Funnily enough, I think he might do a good job. :p

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I never thought I'd be in my mid 20s walking up to a cinema counter saying "one of detective pikachu please"

You stole that joke, I've seen it before :p

Anyway, thought this would be total sh*te but I'm intrigued after seeing the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ryan Reynolds has really pigeon holed himself for voice over work on the back of Deadpool, it's all you can hear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Is that Ryan Reynolds doing the german pika pika? :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

This is might be better than the animated movies that come out when new Pokemon games come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It looks good but I just can't separate the fact that that's Deadpool's voice to me now.

• Advertisement

Pika pika?

And Ryan Reynolds explaining his method acting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Pikachu saying "Pika Pika" is too cute

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I would also watch Pika Pool.

I can't like this. It's not allowed.
    I hope it's crap so I don't have an existential crisis.

I got embarrassingly excited when Mewtwo shoes up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have no interest in Pokémon, but that still looks fun ... ... except for Ryan Reynolds. A distracting casting choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I'd read a while ago that the test screening reports for this were through the roof which pleasantly surprised me. Also seen reports of more movies planned including the original story with Ash Ketchum etc.

You'd have to imagine if this movie is good it will make a serious amount of money at the box office and we could be looking at a long line of upcoming movies involving Pokemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

pixelburp wrote: »
    I have no interest in Pokémon, but that still looks fun ... ... except for Ryan Reynolds. A distracting casting choice.

Same. Couldn’t help but think of Deadpool. But in Pikachu form.

Like, Reynolds seems like a swell guy & totally game for a laugh (the 'making of' to be fair is funny, and obviously Blake Lively is also a good sport), but his voice is too distracting & just doesn't match the cuteness on-screen; his Pikachu comes off like a fluffier, PG-13 Deadpool. Kinda reminds me of a similar scenario with Peter Rabbit, where James Cordon was a compete mismatch to the cute bunny on-screen.

I dunno, make the Pokémon experts will tell us Pikachu is meant to be very meta :shrug:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You couldn't make the film work with a cutesy voice.

I think if you were going to improve it you'd need to go noir gumshoe sort of thing, or really really New York ("I'm walkin here!").

• Advertisement

Detective Pikachu isn't mean to be cutesy. Fans wanted Danny DeVito to voice him as they said he was a perfect fit.

Advertisement