Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Pursuit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Similarities to The Simpsons

Shortly after the announcement of the film's release, numerous Twitter users compared the film's premise to The Simpsons episode "Mr. Plow", in which Homer Simpson becomes Springfield's snowplower.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,808 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This looks like a lot of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BigBlackDog

The original 'In order of disappearance' Was great fun. Hopefully keeping the original director will lift this above the standard Hollywood remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Certainly will be making the effort to see this.

The original 'In order of disappearance' Was great fun. Hopefully keeping the original director will lift this above the standard Hollywood remake.
    Yeah it had a wonderfully dark comedic side to it. Well worth the watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

A black comedy more than anything else. Really enjoyable, worth seeing. I hope the negative publicity around Liam Neeson doesn't affect the box office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

A blast of a film, plenty of laughs from it. Good fit for Neeson too.
    Plenty lifted from the original but enough new stuff to keep the viewer interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Really enjoyed it. A lot more depth to it than your average Neeson film and some good laughs

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I was surprised to read that the same director is attached, the tone of the trailer I saw didn't seem to have the same handle on the dark comedy and Neeson just doesn't seem a good fit for the protagonist character from the original.

It's heartening to see that folks who have seen the original enjoyed this, I may check it out so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I haven't seen the original, and while it is an enjoyable film, the uneven tone of the film smacks you right in the face. While some moments were funny, that doesn't mean they sit well in the over all film.

Some random plot lines, and some characters feeling like they were in another film (from another decade) aside, it's definitely worth a watch. Just felt I was constantly taken out of the film by random nature of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is it out here?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Went to see it last night, I hadn't watched any trailers however I had seen an Irish Times headline saying it may b worth a look. I had expected a Taken type movie however it is something completely different. I really really enjoyed it. Very funny and well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,965 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thought it was absolutely rubbish.

Didn't find it engaging or funny at all.

Thought Tom Bateman put in a great audition for a Batman Joker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

restive wrote: »
    A black comedy more than anything else. Really enjoyable, worth seeing. I hope the negative publicity around Liam Neeson doesn't affect the box office.

Well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

Does he make any lists in it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I thought it was a whole lot of fun, and the controversy surrounding Neeson at the moment is going to hurt it and that's a real pity

for anybody who has watched the original Nordic movie - is it worth watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw this tonight, really liked it. There were missing details though (like how he tracked some of the people down etc.) but I'm not going to get too hung up on it.

Loved the
    "In order of disappearance"
    in the credits - very clever!

The screening was maybe 15% full though (and it's €5 for tickets today so it should have been busier). Doesn't bode well for box office receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

glasso wrote: »

Out of curiosity sake I watched 30 minutes of the original after watching the Neeson film. I turned it off as it's mostly a scene by scene copy bar a few tiny changes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,041 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This had something of a limp feel to it. The trailer sold it as something the Coens would direct but it feel short of that standard IMO. A shame.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I think I read somewhere where someone said they'd done something different with the remake but if they did I didn't see it. I quite enjoyed the original. The remake is a paler version. The plot beats are the same but Skarsgard did a better, more droll job in the lead role than Neeson does so overall I found it a bit disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm going to see it this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

Saw it last night - enjoyable, black comedy. Neesons character is overall reserved which makes the sudden violence spikes almost comically absurd.

Didn't realise until it started that it was a remake of In Order of Disapperance, which I saw a while back on Netflix. Can't remember the original's details enough to say it was a shot for shot remake, but every major beat was the same.

Overall it's like Let Me In / Let the Right One in - if you don't mind subtitles, the original is just as good, if not better. There is nothing different in plot, script, performances (Neeson is good, but so was Skaarskard (sp?)) directing etc to warrant seeing it if you've seen the original.

(In Order of Disapperance is on Amazon Prime if you have that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Just happened to watch this tonight. It’s fricken brilliant. I was expecting the usual Liam Neeson revenge schtick, but thanks to an amazing director who genuinely seems to care about what he puts on screen, he takes the normally formulaic, one man against the world plot and turns it into a genuinely fantastic flick. I’m looking forward to seeing what Hans Petter Moland does next. I’m guessing this flew under the radar a little thanks to the unfortunate press it got from the marketing campaign.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Out of curiosity sake I watched 30 minutes of the original after watching the Neeson film. I turned it off as it's mostly a scene by scene copy bar a few tiny changes

you watched it the wrong way around!

the original is pretty good and I turned off the remake likewise because it seemed a poor imitation and yes they changed nothing really in terms of plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Is Cold pursuit better than Hot pursuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

you watched it the wrong way around!

the original is pretty good and I turned off the remake likewise because it seemed a poor imitation and yes they changed nothing really in terms of plot.

Either way, if you view Cold Pursuit as a stand-alone and haven’t seen the original, it’s a great watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,808 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is on Amazon prime.

Odd film I must say, more like a dark comedy.. tonally I will say it is a bit all over the place.
    Enjoyable

• Advertisement
Advertisement