Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottles vs Cans

• 23-02-2019 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If you’re drinking your beer out of a glass, is there any point buying bottles if there are cans available?

Is there a difference in taste?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

cans meant to keep it fresher if fresh hoppy beer especially

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'd prefer my beer out of a bottle to be honest, even if that beer was poured from a bottle instead of a can, especially if I'm drinking a lager. I just feel when properly chilled the beer tastes better, more refreshing coming from a bottle...just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Yep, cans stay fresher longer !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Cans make it easier and cause me less shameful trips to a bottle bank so I prefer cans.

They also stack better in the fridge and rarely smash if you accidentally drop one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'd prefer my beer out of a bottle to be honest, even if that beer was poured from a bottle instead of a can, especially if I'm drinking a lager. I just feel when properly chilled the beer tastes better, more refreshing coming from a bottle...just my opinion.

you should do some blind tastes, might save you a bit of cash, and who knows -you might prefer the cans rather than just not tell the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I prefer drinking out of a bottle, it would be probably for the same reason beer tastes better out of a proper pint glass than a plastic one. Could be a placebo type effect but it still does.

I prefer drinking out of a bottle,
    this sounds like you are comparing drinking direct from the can or direct from the bottle.

People go on about cans being lined with plastic inside but when you crack a can there is exposed bare metal at the spout you are drinking from. I reckon you could get a "biting into tinfoil" effect and make it taste "tinny".

There is the tactile effect of a bottle, just feels better, like I prefer a nice thick glass than a thin one. A bottle has a good bit of energy stored in the glass so should stay cold longer. If you are drinking longnecks they will be drank faster than a 500ml can so stay colder. When you get to the end of a 500ml can it will have swished about a lot and typically be flatter and warmer than the end of a bottle. Aluminium cans will also readily take on heat from your hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭ Elora Swift Semiconductor

what about the more usual 330ml or 440ml cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Who the hell would drink from a can?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My main issue is paying the same price for a 440ml (or even 330ml) can as a 500ml bottle. I (maybe wrongly) assume canning is cheaper, but the beer is more expensive!?

There's something "nicer" about opening and pouring a bottle but I can't say I notice a taste difference, albeit it's rare for me to have the exact same beer in can and bottle to compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I don't generally drink from a glass unless I'm having draught. If I have cans or bottles, I'm drinking straight from the container. Prefer glass, but cans are okay too.

I don't see the point of dirtying a glass when the container the beverage comes in is perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,391 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The weird thing is that I would always pour can of beer into glass... but coke is straight from can and I think it tastes nicer!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Cans make it easier and cause me less shameful trips to a bottle bank so I prefer cans.

They also stack better in the fridge and rarely smash if you accidentally drop one.

Yep, cans go in the green bin, bottles go in the back garden to be knocked over by cats until the shame kicks in and i have to head to the bottle bank with bags full of the feckin things.
    A can poured into a nice sized glass, perfect and you can get a nice mouthful before opening a second ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

ME....Much prefer it. Personal choice obviously.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The weird thing is that I would always pour can of beer into glass... but coke is straight from can and I think it tastes nicer!
    Not weird at all. With beer, the aroma is a major part of the sensory experience; with cola not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

can all the way. the thing is just a container and it's qualities are utilitarian. lighter, less likely to break, easier to recycle, easier to store, less susceptible to degradation due to exposure to elements etc

there are some beers, like belgian gueuzes, where a slight exposure to elements is invited for aging purposes. i have 2 bottles now waiting for special occasions but most beers i'd rather buy to drink and not buy to store

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

Always cans for me. No chance of the beer getting light struck or skunked. Hoppy beers stay fresher for longer. Cans are lighter and easier to recycle. What's not to like!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

basskebab wrote: »
    What's not to like!
    Greater surface area carrying a higher risk of oxidation if the canning process isn't exactly perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

A German friend of mine was over in Ireland a good few years back for a wedding and came to visit me. Anyway one evening, I offered him a beer from a can.
    You'd swear I asked him to sleep with his girlfriend the way he reacted.
    He went on a mad rant saying something like it was absolute sacrilegious to drink beer from a can and only the bums at the train stations drink from cans. So I've avoided drinking beer from a can ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,391 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

PWEI wrote: »
    A German friend of mine was over in Ireland a good few years back for a wedding and came to visit me. Anyway one evening, I offered him a beer from a can.
    You'd swear I asked him to sleep with his girlfriend the way he reacted.
    He went on a mad rant saying something like it was absolute sacrilegious to drink beer from a can and only the bums at the train stations drink from cans. So I've avoided drinking beer from a can ever since.

You're supposed to put the can into a brown paper bag :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

A doctor friend of mine, started going on about the risk of Weil's disease when I was drinking out of a bottle in a pub with her one night.

According to her if the bottles are stored in a pub cellar they can easily become infected with rat piss. Apparently it's not a very pleasant thing to get.

I tend to use a glass now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

You'd swear I asked him to sleep with his girlfriend the way he reacted. He went on a mad rant saying something like it was absolute sacrilegious to drink beer from a can and only the bums at the train stations drink from cans. So I've avoided drinking beer from a can ever since.

Guy's an eejit...

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

He went on a mad rant saying something like it was absolute sacrilegious to drink beer from a can and only the bums at the train stations drink from cans.
    At a guess I would say 80% of cans of beer sold are drank from the can, guinness would be an obvious exception. And I imagine 98% of people have drank beer from a can before.

Advertisement