Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How does NCT 10 year rule work?

• 26-02-2019 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

If my car is 2009, May 19 and I pass NCT in start of May, will I get it for 2 years or just 1 year?

Is 10 year rule calculated based on Todays date - Manufacturers date or is there some sort of gap added?

I think I've heard previously that it goes like: Todays date - Manufacturers date - 3 months? So I should've done NCT by Feb 19?

My NCT due date is 22nd of July but my Test is on 4th of March, I assume I will only get it for 1 year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭rob316

arleitiss wrote: »
    If my car is 2009, May 19 and I pass NCT in start of May, will I get it for 2 years or just 1 year?

Is 10 year rule calculated based on Todays date - Manufacturers date or is there some sort of gap added?

I think I've heard previously that it goes like: Todays date - Manufacturers date - 3 months? So I should've done NCT by Feb 19?

My NCT due date is 22nd of July but my Test is on 4th of March, I assume I will only get it for 1 year?

10 years from first registration.

1 year for 10 year old cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

rob316 wrote: »
    10 years from first registration.

1 year for 10 year old cars.

Do they take day/month into calculating age of car? or just purely year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

arleitiss wrote:

Our car was registered in January of 2008. We got the nct last in December of 2017 so we have it until 2020. It just so happened to be jan for us. But nct actually told us in a letter that we can get it for the two years if we do it early. Worth calling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Of course day and month is taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Day and month.
    When mine was coming close I got a letter from them explaining if I did the test before x date it would be a 2 year cert, but after x date a 1 year cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Based on the dates you've provided in the bold section, you're presenting the car for test more than 3 months/90 days ahead of the due date, and as such you should get 2 years from the date of the test (not from the original due date).

Have a read of http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Test-due-date--Voluntary-Early-Testing-/ specifically the section for "Vehicle is between 4 and 9 years, 9 months old" and "Vehicle passes more than 90 days ahead of a mandatory test due date" which states:
    Next test date is reset to second anniversary of this voluntary test

For a May 2009 car, however, you should have done this by Feb, or maybe even late Jan if early enough in May (due to short month in Feb). Note also that any and all retests must be passed more than 3 months out from the original due date to avail of this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Mr.H wrote: »
    Our car was registered in January of 2008. We got the nct last in December of 2017 so we have it until 2020. It just so happened to be jan for us. But nct actually told us in a letter that we can get it for the two years if we do it early. Worth calling them.

This year get it done in September. You'll get the cert until Sept 2021. If you do it in November, you'll only get it until Jan 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

I though that the 10yr rule was gone, and that all NCT's were for 2yrs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mr.H wrote: »

If your anniversary date was January and you did it (for a 2008 car) in December 2017, you would have been handed a 12 month cert which expired in January 2019 i.e. a one year cert. Because if you do the test within 90 days of the expiry date, you get a cert dated from the expiry date and based on the age of the car on the expiry date. Meaning that if you do the test tomorrow on an April 2009 car, you will get a 12 month cert. which expires in April 2020.

For a car registered in January 2008, you would have needed to do the test on or before some date in October 2017 (>90 days early) to get a 24 month cert. That cert. would expire in October 2019.

There is no way you could be now holding a cert. valid until to 2020 for a January 2008 car based on a NCT test you did in Dec. 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Passed NCT yesterday, they gave it for 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

We received a letter from NCT yesterday reducing an NCT cert from two years to one year. We imported the car in Dec 2016 from the uk immediatley doing NCT at the time. However the car was first reg in the UK in April 2011, so this is it's birth date. We done the test last Feb as car's normal Dec slot was extended due to covid. We called at the time and were assured as long as we done the test within 3 months of the birth date of the car we would get 2 year cert. Which is what we received. Now this..

We dont understand why they are changing it to a one year cert as the car was not 10 years old when tested. We called them and they seem to be taking the month of December from 2016 import date. However they are not combining it with the year of birth 2011 instead using Dec 2010, when car didn't even exist! I asked their customer service when is a car considered 10 years old? All they say is when car was first registered. This was April 2011 in the UK but they can't tell me why they use the month of December from 2016 import date.

They just said they have to listen back to the calls when they gave us guidance. Fair enough but surely the fundamental point is the car was not 10 years old? Very frustrating and unacceptable !

Anyone experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Yes, I've had this exact thing happen to me as well. To be entitled to the 2 year NCT, you have to pass at least 90 days before your 10 year first registration anniversary date. Customer service were unfortunately telling me all sorts of incorrect information, it wasn't until I went into the lads in the centre that I was able to understand why they were giving me a one year cert even though I got it tested the month before the 10 year anniversary 🙄

In your case unfortunately, February wasn't early enough before April to get the last two year NCT 😓

Advertisement