Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

His Dark Materials.

• 24-02-2019 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭

Trailer out for His Dark Materials BBC TV series.

Have read the books (And they are fantastic) but will not spoiler.

For those not familiar with it: It's set in an alternate universe similar in ways to Victorian period (With some differences in technology). Everyone has a daemon which is, basically, a person's soul. The main character is a girl called Lyra who goes on an adventure to rescue a friend.

Meanwhile Lord Azriel (McEvoy) is investigating something called "Dust" and Mrs Coulter has her own mission which may or may not involve "Dust".

They are planning on making a season per book (of three). Season 2 is already greenlit. The first season will be pretty straightforward but season 2 and 3 may be a difficult sell for some. Especially as the BBC have stated that they are not changing the more controversial elements of the story. (You cannot as it would gut the entire premise of the story).

Regarding the trailer:

Wasn't sure about James MacEvoy as Lord Azriel when announced. I didn't think he was imposing enough but from the (admitadly, very brief) image of him, he does look good.

Rush Wilson was always a GREAT choice as Mrs Coulter. Charming and seductive and at the same time, totally ruthless.

Wasn't sure about Dafne Keen as Lyra. I mean she was great in Logan but just not what I had in mind. We'll see.

Lin Manuel Miranda looks great as Aeronaut (Love that word), Lee Scoresby. A bit young (Thought Sam Elliot was perfect in the toothless movie version).

Doesn't show much. No footage of daemons or Iorek (An armoured polar bear!!!!!) but obviously they are still working on these effects.

Thought this wasn't due until 2020..... Fingers crossed they show it after Game of Thrones finishes (HBO are distributing it in the US)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't read the books but I remember liking The Golden Compass in the cinema. Disappointed it didn't get a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Doesn't show much.

30 seconds of nothing, tbh. Not sure why they bothered. And I say that as a huge HDM fan and someone who is looking forward to this adaptation. Although I think both McAvoy and Miranda are too young for their parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I thought books were just ok.

The 1st film wasn't bad, but always wondered why they didn't make No2 and No3? No1 must have flopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Fear of fundamentalist Christians basically...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

From what I remember at the time, apparently the books are anti Christian or something so you had that crowd protesting the movie. But I think the film had all that stuff removed, which I'm guessing is similar to what the OP said about controversial elements, so then some fans of the book were against the film.

So basically controversy but not the same kind of helpful controversy that helped promote the likes of DaVinci Code.

I saw it knowing none of this and enjoyed it for what it was.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I thought books were just ok.

The 1st film wasn't bad, but always wondered why they didn't make No2 and No3? No1 must have flopped?

pretty much a flop yes.

budget of $180mn, US take $70mn

international rights sold to finance film so didn't get that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Sleepy wrote: »
    Fear of fundamentalist Christians basically...

The film was a commercial flop. however, even if it wasn't, it would have had to make record-breaking numbers in order to make book 2 & 3 without gutting its central messages.

Without giving spoilers, it's not as obvious in the first book but the overall story would (will) cause serious offense to religious groups (Not only fundamental christians).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I watched The Golden Compass, having not read the books; I was completely lost and while obviously I can't speak to the closeness to the novel, the film felt like brainless conveyor belt of terms, places, and concepts without any organic narrative or attempt to bring in newbies like myself. In other words, I'm not surprised it flopped.

To compare with the Harry Potter franchise, which I also went into having not read the books & while the first film was pretty turgid, it did a much better job of bringing the viewer into this new, fantastical world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Love the books, possibly my favourite series.

Worried about the VFX though. No matter how good the cast is their quality will have a big impact on whether the series works for me or not.

think that this would work way better as a series imo and even though it shows pretty much nothing in the clips there the scene and colour palette of sets and costumes shown seems truer and more fitting to the books that what the golden compass did.

obviously it being the bbc the budget is not going to be HBO game of thrones level unless the world rights are huge money but it could work...

could definitely do well in a post game of thrones starved world :)

saying that it could be released in 2019. season 2 already a go.

8 episodes per book - seems about right.

• Advertisement

It's Ruth Wilson from Luther as Mrs. Coulter.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5607976/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

pixelburp wrote: »
    I watched The Golden Compass, having not read the books; I was completely lost and while obviously I can't speak to the closeness to the novel, the film felt like brainless conveyor belt of terms, places, and concepts without any organic narrative or attempt to bring in newbies like myself. In other words, I'm not surprised it flopped.

To compare with the Harry Potter franchise, which I also went into having not read the books & while the first film was pretty turgid, it did a much better job of bringing the viewer into this new, fantastical world.

The books were worse, although book 1 was ok. They couldn’t have been that popular either as you never see people dressing up as the characters at Halloween etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I bought the books for my 11 year old Nephew for his birthday present last week. I'm his godfather.

Feck it they knew i was an Atheist when they asked me to be his Godfather and the books are extremely well written and the world is so well imagined.....

The books were worse, although book 1 was ok. They couldn’t have been that popular either as you never see people dressing up as the characters at Halloween etc.

They're not those types of books. They were aimed at an older audience (Would now be classified as YA I suppose).

As for their popularity, they are extremely popular in the UK: The last book won the whitbread prize and was nonimated for the booker prize.

There is an element of world-building/character introductions in the first book and, IMHO, is the weakest of the three (But still fantastic).

Recommended.

I read them pretty quickly but remember enjoying the first 2 books much more than the last one which was a bit of struggle to finish off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

They're not those types of books. They were aimed at an older audience (Would now be classified as YA I suppose).

As for their popularity, they are extremely popular in the UK: The last book won the whitbread prize and was nonimated for the booker prize.

There is an element of world-building/character introductions in the first book and, IMHO, is the weakest of the three (But still fantastic).

Recommended.

The first book is the best, as it sticks to its imaginary world. The second opens up to this world which is mundane. Third book needs editing. The entire series has very few sympathetic characters.

Not “these kind of books”? If they are for young adults then young adults and people who read them when young would be dressing up nowadays their fav characters.

The first book is the best, as it sticks to its imaginary world. The second opens up to this world which is mundane. Third book needs editing.

would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I really enjoyed the books. I was looking forward to the 1st movie but it was a let down.

Pretzill wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the books. I was looking forward to the 1st movie but it was a let down.

yes they got the whole tone totally wrong - sort of made a movie for very young kids and bowed under the pressure to tone out anything that could be construed as atheist and it didn't work at all.

at the least this series will be better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope BBC air it first this year

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I hope BBC air it first this year

I wasn't expecting it this year but HBO also announced it (During an Oscars commercial I believe) as coming this year. I would imagine it will be later in year: September/October or something. Not during the Summer and not too close to Christmas (I'd say their Victorian adaptation of War Of The Worlds will be their Christmas prestige show).

So, this, more faithful adaptation of War Of The Worlds and Good Omens (On C4 with Amazon money and a cast to die for) all coming this year? Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They came 3rd in the BBC Top 100 books of All Time.:eek:

They give him a lot of love in the BBC.

Books are a tad over-rated.

He is English of course also.

Not to mention the third winning the Whitbread prize (The only "Children"'s book to do so) and was long-listed for the booker prize. So.... reasonably popular

Wasn't there a boards poster who interviewed Sam Elliot and his role in the Golden Compass came up and how he was so disappointed it didn't take off?

The most offputting thing, for me, was the accent that Dakota Richards threw as Lyra. Feck me but it grated balls!

Wasn't there a boards poster who interviewed Sam Elliot and his role in the Golden Compass came up and how he was so disappointed it didn't take off?

probably mostly due to the fact that it could give him big recognition and mullah!

decent actor but never made the big leagues.

glasso wrote: »
    probably mostly due to the fact that it could give him big recognition and mullah!

decent actor but never made the big leagues.

I think that it was but that voice and moustache deserved more

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He was never going to top "Beef, it's what's for dinner." anyway.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He was never going to top "Beef, it's what's for dinner." anyway.

Which reminds me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Check out his latest 'The Man Who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot', much more interesting movie than the title suggests.

As regards The Golden Compass, the two adult leads are very decent, not so sure about Lyra and the ability of the BBC to really deliver on the overall story.

Advertisement