Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptiste - bbc1

• 25-02-2019 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else watching this series?
    It's a spin off from the missing.
    Lots of twists and turns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gmisk wrote: »
    Anyone else watching this series?
    It's a spin off from the missing.
    Lots of twists and turns.

I watched the first one and it was OK but nothing special for me. Same very familiar ground for a lot of similar TV shows. I think he's a bit dull as a character too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

is_that_so wrote: »
    I watched the first one and it was OK but nothing special for me. Same very familiar ground for a lot of similar TV shows. I think he's a bit dull as a character too.
    It's definitely nothing particular new but I'm sticking to it, liking the twists and turns especially in ep2. It's not a patch on the missing so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't know that show.

I don't know that show.
    This show is set after the missing.
    There are 2 series it is very good, great cast.
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3877200/

I don't know that show.

The missing season 1 was superb at the time (2014)

Not sure that it would work as well now due to a lot of similar shows and the format (eliminating suspects per episode type thing) being a bit old hat nowadays.

however if you haven't seen it I'd really recommend checking it out.

James Nesbitt is a bit of knob in real life but was great in this (season 1).

I didn't think that season 2 was that good at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

After 4 episodes, I'm out. Ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭brian_t

After a couple of disappointing episodes I enjoyed last nights one.

Looking forward to the finale.

I pretty sure they will be looking for another series so Baptiste should be safe enough.

brian_t wrote: »

I pretty sure they will be looking for another series so Baptiste should be safe enough.
    It's not a patch on the missing but like you enjoyed this week

I think the europol agent is a weak like though she seems horribly miscast to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think this has been poor tbh, disappointed as the Missing was one of the best shows in recent years imo and Baptiste was a standout character in that show.

But this is just very by the numbers. Some really ludicrous plot lines and irritating characters. The whole setup in the latest episode with Stratton, his ex (a weak actress) and her new fella hiding out in a caravan together was just strange.

It’s just not grabbing me, not good at all. One episode to go so I’ll stick with it to see how it ends!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

gmisk wrote: »
    It's not a patch on the missing but like you enjoyed this week

I think the europol agent is a weak like though she seems horribly miscast to me

It dragged me right back. Still ludicrous but want to see how it ends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Who was that person with the meat cleaver, in Europol's apartment?!

The ending was wierdly structured, and needlessly philosophical.

he was working with Niels (his son) he told him in the arcade to kill Julien and Europol remember?,It was then called off as per Julien's call (I think he was one of the guys caught in raid to rescue the girls as well) the twist that it was as Niels was obvious but at least tied up things in last episode, solid enough show but not the missing alas

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Struggled through the first two episodes of this and gave up mid-way through the third.

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Struggled through the first two episodes of this and gave up mid-way through the third.
    I thought it improved slightly but I am a sucker for these kinda shows.

And why did he just leave again and by the patio door.

Europol obviously thought that if Edward could defend himself with a small bread knife she'd be able to do the same with a scissors.

And why did he just leave again and by the patio door.

Europol obviously thought that if Edward could defend himself with a small bread knife she'd be able to do the same with a scissors.
    The hit was called off, the Brigado were instead going after Niels, Julien called Europol lady to tell her, that explains why cleaver man skipped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I thought this was very average series at best from start to finish. The Europol lady and the Stratton character and his estranged ex irritated me. That last episode was just bizarre.

The only moment of slight tension was when Europol lady senses an intruder in her apartment, but then he's gone? Wtf. The scenes where their car was attacked and shot up was weird too. What was with them laughing at the end of the chase and then driving around alone again in that same car?! Completely daft.

There was no sense of surprise or shock for me when Neils was revealed to be the mole. I thought that was choreographed from several episodes back! Then all this needless philosophical babble in the last 10 minutes was tedious...

Bring on Line Of Duty next week. I expect that to be far better!

Strange choice of last line too.

I think it's going to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Overall I really enjoyed the series but the writing really collapsed in the last 15 minutes of last nights episode. It was hammy in the extreme and was reaching far too much to be moralistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Struggling to get through this, really hasn't grabbed me at all. Liked him as a supporting character in the Missing but just doesn't do it for me as the main man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Waste of time if there ever was one.

Crap story, crap acting.
    Someone who needs medical attention Amsterdam will not be brought to a hospital in Wateringen, 60 km away.

Quite often i read complaints here about irish accents by non irish being bad.
    Imagine this:
    Who in their right mind thought it was acceptable to cast 2 Flemish actors (Niels and mom) to play the role of Amsterdam police in Flemish?

Might not be a problem for people who dont understand Dutch but just imagine the movie The Guard with Brendan Gleeson sporting a big fat Texan accent

I have seen some bad tv in my years but this series actually made me angry because of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Just deleted the series recording, so much TV so little time to waste

Renewed for a second season.
    Tchéky Karyo will return as retired police investigator, Julien Baptiste, and will be joined by Fiona Shaw for a brand-new gripping case which will take viewers into Budapest’s secretive and corrupt underworld.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2020-01-22/bbc-one-baptiste-series-two/

Much preferring season 2 of this to season 1 - Fiona Shaw terrific as usual (only 2 episodes in)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

Do you need to have watched The Missing to watch this, or does it work as its own stand alone series?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

No you don't have to have seen The Missing would be my take.

Briefly (and spoiler free) , season one of The Missing deals with a Missing kid when on holiday in France seemingly very similar to the Madeline McCann case and certainly drew more attention to the show because of that at the time. Detective Baptiste is a starring role but James Nesbitt plays pretty much the central character along with his wife played by Frances O Connor.

Season 2 is a different case again this time with an UK expat couple in Germany when their Missing child returns to their lives after about 10 years and claims she was held captive with a French girl who Baptiste was at the helm of the investigation at the time so in he comes. Again the couple this time played by David Morrissey and the always reliable Keeley Hawes are centre stage to the story, Baptiste slightly more key naturally due to him being familiar to Season one viewers he also has a flashback story running parallel with the main current day events. I'd go as far to say for this you wouldn't have had to have seen season one for this either even.

As far as I recall James Nesbitt character called Tony was either mentioned in passing in either Season 2 or Baptiste season one (I watched them close together so not entirely sure which) and at that vague doesn't go into things other than himself Baptistes wife is the only notable character who is the only other returning cast member throughout.

Episode 3 was a bit of a cracker!

Really interested to see where it goes.

Is season 2 of this a big improvement as season 1 seemed crap?

• Advertisement

For me it's a lot better, it helps that Fiona Shaw is in it.

Need to pay attention

Advertisement