Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elton John biopic Rocketman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I'm now singing Rocketman in the Bane voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

MJ23 wrote: »
    I'm now singing Rocketman in the Bane voice.

What a beautiful voice!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Source

Tom Hardy to play Elton John :eek: very bold, interesting and surprising choice

this is being made by elton company so he can choose who he wants (or atleast have input)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Hardy is one of those actors who can transform himself into any role, good choice IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Ipso wrote: »
    What a beautiful voice!

"That's a lovely lovely voice"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Would have gone for Justin Timberlake meself. Uncanny.

Although the accent may have been an issue....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Would have gone for Justin Timberlake meself. Uncanny.

Although the accent may have been an issue....

I was thinking the same thing myself but lets be honest, Timberlake is a shocking actor. Tom Hardy will do a great job, guaranteed.
    Personally I find biopics to be pretty naff in general, but this one could be good by virtue of the music alone( well the stuff from the 70s not the 80s).
    I wonder will they give any screen time to shatners version of rocket man from 1978. Although maybe that deserves a film all by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

tunguska wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing myself but lets be honest, Timberlake is a shocking actor. Tom Hardy will do a great job, guaranteed.
    Personally I find biopics to be pretty naff in general, but this one could be good by virtue of the music alone( well the stuff from the 70s not the 80s).
    I wonder will they give any screen time to shatners version of rocket man from 1978. Although maybe that deserves a film all by itself.

Jaysus, I hope not! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

*In Banes voice* "In the ciiiirrrcle of liiiiiiiife"
    I'd love if Tom did a wicked Lion King score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Given Hardy's obvious talent and his own battles with addiction, he may well do a phenomenal job on this one.

Having said that though, I'm really not a fan of John, so it might take a lot for me to actually go see this. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Never got the Tom Hardy thing. He's adequate in supporting roles only imo. Glad to hear he's pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,272 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Taron was great as Eddie the eagle Edwards I could see him being Elton John

Taron sang in animated flick Sing, one was an Elton John song

• I wonder will this scene be in the movie? :) (Tried to embed but not happening!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1JSIjF96aI

Richard Madden to play manager John Reid and Jamie Bell to play Bernie Taupin

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/richard-madden-rocketman-elton-john-reid-1202878936/

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I like Taron Egerton, he has a decent amount of physical and emotional range, and he's been decent in a few different roles. Also I cannot stand Elton John, a spoilt, fat, entitled bitch of a man. So I'm looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Jamie Bell looks nothing like Barney Turpin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like it's going to take an interesting, slightly surrealist, magical reality kinda of approach. The 'flawed musician struggles with their demons / genius' is done to death, so it'd be interesting to watch something that takes some kind of unique angle.

Looks like this is a part-production with Rocket Pictures, Elton John's own production company, so presumably the end product will be pretty hagiographical.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,272 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Looks good fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Bohemian Raphsody 2, yawn. These kind of films are utter mainstream ****e. "Control", "24 Hour Party People" and "Love and Mercy" the only good music related films I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

I prefer fictional ones like Lewyn Davis and Crazy Heart, but there are plenty of great musical biopics.

Agreed with the three you listed ^. Great films.

Also;

Walk The Line
    Ray
    Straight Outta Compton
    The Doors
    8 Mile
    Behind the Candelabra

I have The Buddy Holly story was well but not watched it yet. I have high hopes for a good Roy Orbsion movie one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

El Duda wrote: »
    I prefer fictional ones like Lewyn Davis and Crazy Heart, but there are plenty of great musical biopics.

Agreed with the three you listed ^. Great films.

Also;

Walk The Line
    Ray
    Straight Outta Compton
    The Doors
    8 Mile
    Behind the Candelabra

I have The Buddy Holly story was well but not watched it yet. I have high hopes for a good Roy Orbsion movie one day.

Actually forgot Compton! Fantastic film.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

"The film tells the story of Elton John's life, from his years as a prodigy at the Royal Academy of Music, through his influential and enduring musical partnership with Bernie Taupin, as well as his struggles with depression, substance abuse, and acceptance of his sexual orientation."

Sounds like what Bohemian could have been...

I'm interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

70s rock stars are the new superheroes at the box office :D

Genuinely though, I can see a lot of biopics in the next few years following on the success of Bohemian Rhapsody and likely (Elton John is the top search trend on Apple Music right now) success of this. Like superhero movies, these too have multi-generational fanbases, crowd-pleasing formulas, pre-established IP and they're actually cheaper to make too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Are they going to try using a script for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Egerton isnt a bad singer but he sounds nothing like Elton

Advertisement