Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Traffic light sequencing in the city

• 22-02-2019 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

Coming down Moneenageshia Road to turn left onto Wellpark Road you are stopped at the red. Traffic comes from Wellpark Road either going left, straight or right. Why is the light red when this is happening if you are waiting to turn left off M Rd to Wellpark Road?

Similarly, if you want to turn left onto the Q Bridge after exiting Woodies you get in the short left lane and you are stopped at a red there. Cars coming from the bridge going east get the green to go left, straight or right. Meanwhile you are waiting in the left lane and would not be interfering if you could get a green.

I think the same things happen at the top of BnT going east. You want to turn left to Tuam Rd but again are stopped while cars from the Tuam Road are going left, straight or right.

These may be small things but they just add to he driving experience in the city. I wonder if there outstanding road safety issues at play here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When do ya reckon the pedestrians should get to cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The sequencing happens when there isn't a pedestrian in sight. They get to cross when they do appear and press the relevant button. ( And just as an aside, what a sad situation to see no place for pedestrians to cross at R/As behind hospital and at Sandy Road. Slowing down and allowing people to cross, at the former especially, is very dangerous.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Pedestrians are supposed to make their way to the crossroads before the bridge and cross there or further up the Seamus Quirke Road where this another pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

bobbyss .... I've been going on about this issue on galway boards for ages .
    No filter lights to turn left safely ???
    Pedestrian lights should only be activated when there's a pedestrian there that's activated them .
    This city is a village trying to operate as a city daily .
    Until the ring road is built a PROPER CCTV OPERATED AT RUSH HOURS TRAFFIC LIGHT SYSTEM ACROSS THE WHOLE CITY IS A MUST !!!!!

bobbyss .... I've been going on about this issue on galway boards for ages . No filter lights to turn left safely ??? Pedestrian lights should only be activated when there's a pedestrian there that's activated them . This city is a village trying to operate as a city daily . Until the ring road is built a PROPER CCTV OPERATED AT RUSH HOURS TRAFFIC LIGHT SYSTEM ACROSS THE WHOLE CITY IS A MUST !!!!!

I can't for the life of me understand why there is no left filter at the above but particularly at M'geisha where you come off Sandy Rd r/a to be met with a packed , rather short M' geisha road. Most if not all the cars in the left lane there are wanting to turn left onto Wellpark Rd. Yet there we are like idiots waiting when it's perfectly safe to go left. Is there not somebody in some office somewhere seing this?
    I don't normally take this route in the evening but of late I have had to and I have been experiencing this stupidity st first hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Another City just Crazy thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

bobbyss wrote: »
    Coming down Moneenageshia Road to turn left onto Wellpark Road you are stopped at the red. Traffic comes from Wellpark Road either going left, straight or right. Why is the light red when this is happening if you are waiting to turn left off M Rd to Wellpark Road?

Because the left lane is for left AND straight ahead - bus lane and a short stretch for merging into the right lane.
    Similarly, if you want to turn left onto the Q Bridge after exiting Woodies you get in the short left lane and you are stopped at a red there. Cars coming from the bridge going east get the green to go left, straight or right. Meanwhile you are waiting in the left lane and would not be interfering if you could get a green.

This left turn does get an early green if there are no pedestrians. Often the pedestrians will have been waiting a long time and found a gap in the traffic to cross before their sequence comes around again so they're long gone.

I think the same things happen at the top of BnT going east. You want to turn left to Tuam Rd but again are stopped while cars from the Tuam Road are going left, straight or right.

I think you mean going north to Tuam? Again this lane is for both left and straight... not just left.

There should be a constant flashing amber going left over the QCB coming out from town, I’m stuck there regularly with a red light when I could easily get going. To do it properly they should have put a slip road onto the bridge though rather than the sharp left they have, it was terribly designed. Plenty other places too around the city a flashing amber could be used.

There should be a constant flashing amber going left over the QCB coming out from town, I’m stuck there regularly with a red light when I could easily get going. To do it properly they should have put a slip road onto the bridge though rather than the sharp left they have, it was terribly designed. Plenty other places too around the city a flashing amber could be used.
    constant flashing amber for pedestrians to cross aka zebra crossing.
    They are stuck there constantly when they could easily get going.

J o e wrote:
    Because the left lane is for left AND straight ahead - bus lane and a short stretch for merging into the right lane.

Yes that's right. But it should only be for left I think. Most cars turn left there. Otherwise if you go straight you are heading into a bus lane and HAVE TO change lane any way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Yes that's right. But it should only be for left I think. Most cars turn left there. Otherwise if you go straight you are heading into a bus lane and HAVE TO change lane any way.

Unless you're a bus/taxi/bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

J o e wrote: »

This. If I'm going into Wellpark I go straight in the left lane and just keep left until I turn into the retail park.

zell12 wrote: »
    constant flashing amber for pedestrians to cross aka zebra crossing.
    They are stuck there constantly when they could easily get going.

No a flashing amber arrow for cars turning left. I think it would work much better than now. If it was done right with a slip road then pedestrians could still have a green man to cross the main part of the road and then arrive at the slip and the amber would give them the right to cross. It would be much shorter also to cross this short slip so most would scoot across causing little interference for traffic.

I drive through this junction everyday and I see very few pedestrians cross this section anyway.

Cars are entitled to go straight ahead there, the first stretch of the road the far side of the lights is a merging lane. I always use the left lane for going straight on as you get through the junction faster.

Cars are entitled to go straight ahead there, the first stretch of the road the far side of the lights is a merging lane. I always use the left lane for going straight on as you get through the junction faster.

I understand this. I think we need a left only filter because most cars turn left there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

( And just as an aside, what a sad situation to see no place for pedestrians to cross at R/As behind hospital and at Sandy Road. Slowing down and allowing people to cross, at the former especially, is very dangerous.)

I totally agree.

But as a pedestrian who sometimes has to cross those places, please, o please DON'T slow down. Just keep moving, and I will use the gap that sooner or later always appears naturally.

If you slow down, there's a chance you'll get rear-ended. I might step out into the road and get hit by your car being shunted forward. Or if when there are two lanes, I might get caught by something in the outside lane - including something which swerves into that lane to avoid you. Or if there are no centre islands, I might have difficulty with traffic coming from the opposite direction.

I understand this. I think we need a left only filter because most cars turn left there.
    Really?

I woundn’t say most cars turn left by any means, many go straight too. Making this left only will just cause far bigger tailbacks and frustration for those trying to go straight ahead in one lane. It’s far more efficient to have two lanes into the junction and then merging to one after the junction than try to get all traffic through on one lane.

A much better move would be to start the bus lane after the well park entrance meaning any cars turning left into well park just stay in this lane (it’s what many people do anyway) and also give a longer time for cars to merge making it a little more free flowing. The way it’s done is stupid, a bit of a bus lane and then back to a turning a lane and then back to a bus lane.

I woundn’t say most cars turn left by any means, many go straight too. Making this left only will just cause far bigger tailbacks and frustration for those trying to go straight ahead in one lane. It’s far more efficient to have two lanes into the junction and then merging to one after the junction than try to get all traffic through on one lane.

Well perhaps you are right about the amount of cars turning left I don't know. It just feels wrong to a see the traffic coming from W Road while I could easily filter left. If we made M Road left lane a left turning only then that may help.
    On the other hand you would wonder what impact it would have on the city if you had left lane for bus only on QB (going east), S Mulvoy, Mon Road? If you took a bus you are guaranteed easy passage. I don't know the answers. But it is a wholly frustrating experience.

Worse lights in galway city are the lights at courthouse .
    Driving down eglinton street to today heading towards cathedral .
    Bus in front of me . I was 2nd behind bus .
    Lights turn green . Time for bus to go tru but turned red before I could .
    Pedestrians lights come on , no pedestrians to cross .
    A joke of a city !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

When most of them cross naturally, either on a red man or not at the lights at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Using the BEG button.

M' geisha junction is good example of a poorly sequenced traffic light junction for pedestrians as well.
    Essentially a Round Robin Sequenced light for vehicular traffic.

When the scenario outlined by OP occurs - the GREEN Walking Person does not appear on that arm of the junction unless someone actually hits the beg button - when it should regardless as the vehicular traffic is at a red anyhow.

Another issue there is the right turn into Francis St with courthouse on your left. The green arrow lasts for seconds. Perhaps two or three cars can make it. When I am the head of that line waiting for the green light I don't know how many times I have been hooted at for not moving forward when the green light appears for straight ahead. There is no box to move forward into. But if you DID move forward to wait to turn right and you were hit! Who is to blame? Tragedy!

I’d be in agreement with the beepers I have to say. I always move forward on junctions when turning right as you often can get across before the green arrow and it also helps more people get through the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I’d be in agreement with the beepers I have to say. I always move forward on junctions when turning right as you often can get across before the green arrow and it also helps more people get through the junction.

Are you not breaking the light?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

?Cee?view wrote: »

Depends on the way the lights are configured at the junction. Never policed here anyhow in Galway City.

?Cee?view wrote: »

At the majority of junctions you are allowed to turn right if it's clear, the filter light is just giving a chance to turn if it's too busy to get across. There is only one set of lights and a filter light so you can't be breaking a light as there is none red.

Bigger junctions like say Tuam road interchange has separate red lights for right turns so this is different.

But what if an oncoming car hit you when you were moving forward? Who is responsible? Surely you, because you did not have a filter flashing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

But what if an oncoming car hit you when you were moving forward? Who is responsible? Surely you, because you did not have a filter flashing?

If you're crossing a lane when there's oncoming traffic then it would be hard to not be at fault

This sums up galway city .
    Going out of the galmont hotel and you come to the traffic lights at Lough atalia .
    You want to turn left heading towards the huntsman .
    Filter light comes on at traffic lights near you but no filter light on the set of lights that are facing you .
    Of course most people are watching the lights across from you that don't have a filter light .
    Happens all the time .
    Only a small thing but when they can't get the small things right ... There's no chance they can get the big things right .
    They really are clueless in galway !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Another issue there is the right turn into Francis St with courthouse on your left. The green arrow lasts for seconds. Perhaps two or three cars can make it. When I am the head of that line waiting for the green light I don't know how many times I have been hooted at for not moving forward when the green light appears for straight ahead. There is no box to move forward into. But if you DID move forward to wait to turn right and you were hit! Who is to blame? Tragedy!

The Rules of the Road are very clear on this as per extract below:

If you wish to turn right at a set of traffic lights that has an arrow to the right, drive into the junction when you see a green light, taking care not to block any oncoming traffic. Then, when it is safe, finish your turn. You should only wait for the filter arrow for turning right when you are in the junction and if it would be dangerous to finish your turn before the filter light appears.

Advertisement