Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Europes most energy efficient home?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭threeball

gooner99 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/eile/brainstorm/2019/0220/1031718-the-ins-and-outs-of-improving-energy-efficiency-in-your-house/

Is this correct. I would have thought some new builds would be more energy positive.

Did you watch the video. Theres about 50k worth of PV on the house which conveniently gets about 5secs of video. Is it any wonder that its producing more energy that it uses electrically. The was no mention in the video of any other heating system but there has to be as no house can run entirely on PV and solar thermal, its been proven not to work. If they were to add enough batteries to harness all the power you could double the installation cost. Seen as the self consumption on a correctly sized PV system is about 30%, I can only imagine how poor the self consumption is here unless the car is plugged in all day or they have the aforementioned batteries.
    Still only got an A2. We have a house that will achieve A1 with a heat pump and 6kw of PV going through certification right now and it was a damn sight less expensive than the system in the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Cant see the media due to some of my browser restrictions but no offence,i guess the guys in Germany with their "passive house" highly looked after and hard & proud to achive certification will not be pleased with losing the title to a bungalow in Mayo ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Yes, exactly what I was thinking. To me it was just advertising for hone. Doesn't it claim to harness more energy from the sun than normal panels, but does it by using electricity or something like that?

Also wasn't the car that was plugged in a plug in hybrid. Hardly carbon neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

We've covered that story many times already in this forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

threeball wrote: »
    Theres about 50k worth of PV on the house which conveniently gets about 5secs of video. Is it any wonder that its producing more energy that it uses electrically.
    Double that figure. I was in the house. It has over €100k worth of solar panels, controls and batteries. It’s well over 100 PV panels (I counted but can’t remember the exact figure now) and loads of solar tubes for hot water too. They had to extend the roof of the shed to accommodate all the PV panels.

That investment will never pay itself back like us regular people have to consider. It’s a showhouse they created to advertise their products and be able to claim the most efficient house label.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭threeball

gooner99 wrote: »
    Yes, exactly what I was thinking. To me it was just advertising for hone. Doesn't it claim to harness more energy from the sun than normal panels, but does it by using electricity or something like that?

Also wasn't the car that was plugged in a plug in hybrid. Hardly carbon neutral.

Nanotechnology is the spoof they're using to try to promote it.

Advertisement