Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will the 1500m indoor world record go down this weekend? Kejelcha, Birgen and Tefera

• 15-02-2019 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

Think it's better to have a new thread for this to draw an extra bit of attention to it, it's a prosperous year so far:D

Looks like a quick turnaround World Record attempt for Kejelcha going again this weekend on Saturday at Birmingham indoors but at the 1500m this time. Field is loaded for an indoor meet and also has Bram Som who is widely regarded as the top pacer in the World so this looks like another record attempt. The 1500 record is actually stronger than the mile so should be interesting and is held by Hicham El Guerrouj as well at 3:31.18 from 1997. Tefera and Birgen have a legimate shot at this as well as faster 1500 runners than Kejelcha

http://extranet.britishathletics.org.uk/Timetable.mvc/EntryList/8275?eventID=164&EventOrder=24

Meet should be on the BBC as it usually is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fishy21

That is some startlist. It should be a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Race starting in 15 minutes. Pacer has been asked for 3:30 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

3:31.04 new WR

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Perfect race from Tefera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Holy $hit, some race!!

And only 19 yrs old!!! made it look easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Great finish, some running.

Some race and win by Tefera, that's the oldest indoor distance WR gone off the books.

This might not last long though:). Kejelcha is running another 1500 in Dusseldorf on Wednesday so be interesting to see what happens there.

Is Tefera running there as well?

• Advertisement

nannerby wrote: »
    Is Tefera running there as well?

Don't know yet, start lists haven't been released yet but it's very possible as these guys usually do a tour of the European races before going home. Would be unreal if he was but it would probably turn into a different kind of race after what happened to Kejelcha today, he'd be hesistant to lead him out now I'd say.

Claire tarplee up here in the mile

• Registered Users Posts: 54,580 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A WR produced in a hell of a race to boot!

Cant wait to see more head to heads between those two.

Cant wait to see more head to heads between those two.

They'll be rare so eat them up while you can. Kejelcha will be moving back up to his normal 3000/5000 for the outdoor diamond league while Tefera will be sticking with the 1500 I'd say. Still that's not a bad thing. Both Kejelcha and Barega are vying for Bekele's 5000m record this year and were hopping off eachother all last year, chance of a long time rivalary between those two who are 19 and 21.

Tefera looks to have made a step up here and that sets up a huge year in the 1500 with Cheruiyot, Manangoi, himself and with Ronald Kwemoi returing from injury, this could be the most competitive 1500 fields in years.

I want to see Kejelcha attack Komen's indoor 3000m record soon, with the speed he is showing now and a 12:46 5k last year, he looks like he could seriously challenge that record right now and no one has got remotely close to it ever.

Tafera looked so comfortable hopefully he kicks on for the outdoor season,glad Kejelcha moving back up is it me being a bit negative or does he lack the blistering turn of pace to outkick others in championship finals..im only going on todays race as I havnt seen much athletics in the last few years.

Tafera looked so comfortable hopefully he kicks on for the outdoor season,glad Kejelcha moving back up is it me being a bit negative or does he lack the blistering turn of pace to outkick others in championship finals..im only going on todays race as I havnt seen much athletics in the last few years.

Yeah, he's a bit lacking in the kick especially against 1500 guys. He's in a bit of a bind at 5000 as Baerga is just as fast and has a better kick so he can't outrun him or outkick. He's probably the second best kicker at 5 when the pace is honest. I think that's why he is running the 15 indoors this year to work on that speed. I could see him trying the 5/10 double at the World Champs this year where he'd have a big kick but there's a problem in that this year, there will be a wave of new young frontrunners in the 10k for the first time since Tadesse with Rhonex Kipruto, Joshua Cheptegei, Edward Zakayo and Matthew Kimelli. Farah is also running the 10 at the WC this year.

But there's no question about the future of him in the 10 imo, he will eventually dominate there I think. The 5 is more up in the air with the likes of Barega and if he can improve his kick.

Kejelcha is skipping out on Dusseldorf tomorrow night. This should still be a cracker though. Tefera is going head to head Birgen for the overall World Tour title and all three Ingebritsens are in as well as World indoor silver medalist Jakob Hulosa.

IAAF are saying Tefera is looking for a fast time, I don't know if they mean as fast again as info about the meet startlists and such is hard to come by but this field has 5 guys in it who have run 3:31 or under outdoors so is absolutely loaded.

Haven't got a stream yet but should be handy enough to get closer to the race.

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Kejelcha is skipping out on Dusseldorf tomorrow night. This should still be a cracker though. Tefera is going head to head Birgen for the overall World Tour title and all three Ingebritsens are in as well as World indoor silver medalist Jakob Hulosa.

IAAF are saying Tefera is looking for a fast time, I don't know if they mean as fast again as info about the meet startlists and such is hard to come by but this field has 5 guys in it who have run under 3:31 outdoors so is absolutely loaded.

Haven't got a stream yet but should be handy enough to get closer to the race.

https://youtu.be/MjJDl6hA6IU

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »

Stream just gone live.

any idea what time the mens1500 is on?

any idea what time the mens1500 is on?

7:32 Irish time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Bram Som's birthday today. 39 and still a world class pacemaker.

Great race by Ingebritsen looks class.

Great race by Ingebritsen looks class.

Saturday take it out of Tefera?

OOnegative wrote: »
    Saturday take it out of Tefera?

Maybe,Tefera didn't seem to have the turn of pace he had on Saturday but Ingebritsen must have been watching Saturdays race he ran the race like Tefera did last Saturday.

Advertisement