Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AED Defibrillator locations in the city

• 17-02-2019 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Did a first responder course a few months ago, and know the locations of the Defib's in my town (Athenry) but where are the locations in Galway City?? Can't seem to find a website with them. Only this one with the NUIG locations

Any AED Defibrillators near Sean Mulvoy road for example?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

There's one in GTI on Fr Griffin Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

M&S and Galway Shopping centre (I think).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

There are 2 in the Inland Fisheries buildings in Fisheries Field.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Are these of use if they're outside a 5 min radius of the location of the patient?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Are these of use if they're outside a 5 min radius of the location of the patient?

If it can be there faster than the ambulance then absolutely yes, provided there is still good CPR being performed while the device is being fetched.
    The Emergency Call Taker on the line should be able to advise you on where the nearest defibrillator is and how to access it. (key code, notches on the side etc) also volunteers such as Knocknacarra Salthill responders are usually alerted so they will bring the defib to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭sgthighway

All AED Locations are not registered with dispatch. This is something I suggested years ago; that each AED should have a GPS Tracker that would be registered and then they could see the nearest one and be able to contact the owner. There could be one in a passing car. If you work in that area I would call to the ESB to see have they one. Galway Shopping Center have one. Maybe check petrol station on top of road. Hopefully you won’t need it.
    I have also seen a lot of surveys about registering the locations but a quick look online does not reveal results. Google tends to show AED Sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

sgthighway wrote: »
    All AED Locations are not registered with dispatch. This is something I suggested years ago; that each AED should have a GPS Tracker that would be registered and then they could see the nearest one and be able to contact the owner. There could be one in a passing car. If you work in that area I would call to the ESB to see have they one. Galway Shopping Center have one. Maybe check petrol station on top of road. Hopefully you won’t need it.
    I have also seen a lot of surveys about registering the locations but a quick look online does not reveal results. Google tends to show AED Sales.

Thank you. This has been helpful. I asked about Sean Mulvoy Road because I'm there a couple of times a week (church) and some folk there may need it and it's been on my mind for a while. I tried looking online and it's tricky so this thread is the most info I've found in a while, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Is it possible to register them on Google Maps or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

City Direct have them in all of their buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

There are a few apps to track these but not sure how well they're updated.

This thread reminded me of...

ce7954ee4f8fb913637b01511a8f0410.jpg

• Advertisement

I wonder if many neighbourhood watch schemes would have one. Seems like it would a great thing for groups of housing estates to club together for.
    How much is one ? edit- looks like theyre only 1500 at the upperlimit. Crazy these aren't everywhere then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

If in Westport there is one at the old Phone Box at the town Clock.

There should be a sticky for these for each county.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do start a thread in the forum that covers Westport
    Possibly it can serve to increase awareness of these devices

Athenry AED units... and I know this should be in the county thread, but it'll be helpful...

There are a number of AEDs all over the town and greater Athenry area but the 2 with 24/7 Accessibility are at the New Park Hotel and Joyces Service Station by the Arch/Northgate. There is also a unit at the Newcastle Community Center and Derrydonnell Petrol Station, both of these are also 24/7 accessible. Other Units available during opening hours are District Health and Fitness, Tranquility Spa at Raheen Woods hotel, Community Center, Kenny Park, Skylark HSE center, Presentation and Clarin Colleges, Athenry Football Club, Tennis Club.

The Presentation College is moving so I don't know if their devise is moving with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

From Knocknacarra community defibrillator group Facebook
    “Knocknacarra Community Defibrillator Group advises that they have purchased and installed a community defibrillator at the reception in Clybaun hotel, available 24/7.
    Further defibrillators are located at Salthill Knocknacarra GAA Clubhouse, Galway Lawn Tennis Club, Galway Golf Club, St John's National School, Kingston Medical Centre, Gaelscoil Mhic Amhlaigh, St John the Apostle Catholic Church, NRG Gym, Clybaun Hotel, Cappagh Park Club House, Colaiste Einde, Knocknacarra Community Rooms, at Joyces and Salerno School. These are open during business hours.”

• Registered Users Posts: 31,813 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

There is one in the Corralea Court Hotel in Tuam. Trying to recall from memory but I think there is one in the Credit Union and there's one in Super Valu.

I'm 80% sure that all fire brigades have one each as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There is one in Dunnes Stores Westside SC, its with Security.

I wonder with what regularity they get used, does anyone know?
    Considering traffic during daytime it must be very infrequently that someone within a 5 min radius needs one?

It would seem like it would make more sense for neighbourhoods and estates to have 1 considering they're less than 2000.
    Is there any reason why that's a bad idea and why it's not done?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I

It would seem like it would make more sense for neighbourhoods and estates to have 1 considering they're less than 2000.
    Is there any reason why that's a bad idea and why it's not done?

I winder whatvthe liability situation is though, if someone uses one incorrectly or if one malfunctions.

In a workplace there will be trained staff covered by employers liability insurance.m, and likely a preventative maintenance programme. In an estate, not so.much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I winder whatvthe liability situation is though, if someone uses one incorrectly or if one malfunctions.

In a workplace there will be trained staff covered by employers liability insurance.m, and likely a preventative maintenance programme. In an estate, not so.much.
    AEDs tell you what to do when they are switched on. Once you attach the pads or electrodes to the patient, the AED will analyse the patients ECG to decide whether or not a shock is required. If a shockable rhythm is present, then and only then will it charge up and allow a shock to be given. For a rescuer to get sued, it would be necessary to prove the victim suffered in some way as a result of the actions taken by the rescuer. If a victim is in cardiac arrest, there is very little a well-intentioned rescuer can do to make things any worse for the victim.

Even though there is good intentions and the machines are self explanatory you should never attempt to use one unless you have been trained how to do so. Plenty of organisations provide training. Red Cross, Civil Defence the CFR groups. Just keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

flazio wrote: »
    Even though there is good intentions and the machines are self explanatory you should never attempt to use one unless you have been trained how to do so. Plenty of organisations provide training. Red Cross, Civil Defence the CFR groups. Just keep an eye out.

I thought the advise was to try it if needs be?

Don't think they can trigger unless the device can determine it'll help (setup right and detects a heart rhythm that matches something it can help with). It's been a few years since my CFR course so advice could have changed or I could be remembering wrong. Anybody able to clarify?

Yes. Although the machine explains as you go along, you really should have training, so that you don't panic and the training comes back to you as you follow it.

The Machine essentially instructs CPR, and has sensors to monitor heart beat. It will only give a shock to the patient if heart beat is not present and it talks the user through that also, not moving forward in the instructions unless the user is ready.

Also people who are trained will remember small things like making sure everyone is clear before administrating the shock, why pads aren't working and what to do and what to do if the patient begins to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

I can confirm there is one in Galway Shopping Centre near the public toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭dmc17

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057970033

Looks like there is an App to map the locations of AED's.

Advertisement