Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there a Kids GAA Nursery on a Saturday Afternoon in Dublin?

Options
  • 17-02-2019 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Does anybody know of a kids nursery on a Saturday afternoon in Dublin?

The GAA Nursery's for 4 - 7 year olds around me such as Na Fianna, Vincent's, Clontarf, Whitehall etc have their Nursery's on a Saturday morning.

I am not in a position to get the kids to football on a Saturday morning. I would like the kids to get involved with GAA as it it has been a big part of my family over the years.

Does anybody know of a GAA club with training for kids on a Saturday afternoon in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Wouldnt imagine so. Any clubs that train on weekends will do so in morning as to allow people do other things/games or anything else thats on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭leath_dub

strongback wrote: »

The GAA Nursery's for 4 - 7 year olds around me such as Na Fianna, Vincent's, Clontarf, Whitehall etc have their Nursery's on a Saturday morning.

I am not in a position to get the kids to football on a Saturday morning. I would like the kids to get involved with GAA as it it has been a big part of my family over the years.

Does anybody know of a GAA club with training for kids on a Saturday afternoon in Dublin?

Raheny have their hurling and camogie ógra at 6pm on Wednesday evenings

http://www.raheny.gaa.ie/teams/ogra

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

leath_dub wrote: »
    Raheny have their hurling and camogie ógra at 6pm on Wednesday evenings

http://www.raheny.gaa.ie/teams/ogra

Cheers for that......unfortunately I can't make Wednesday evening either. My situation is not conducive to the children playing GAA it seems, a pity because the kids bloodline is full of intercounty players on both sides.

There is a real opening for a GAA club that trains kids on a Saturday afternoon, the time would attract a lot of people who cant do Sat morning.

Not only people who can't do Saturday morning but also kids that want to play rugby and gaelic or soccer and hurling. Its not possible for kids to play different sports as they are all on generally at the same time in Dublin....Saturday morning.

This is not a good thing as the research shows children benefit from playing multiple sports particularly at a young age.

Clontarf RFC have kids training on a Sunday morning so it looks like they will go down the rugby route for now.

Cheers for that......unfortunately I can't make Wednesday evening either. My situation is not conducive to the children playing GAA it seems, a pity because the kids bloodline is full of intercounty players on both sides.

There is a real opening for a GAA club that trains kids on a Saturday afternoon, the time would attract a lot of people who cant do Sat morning.

Not only people who can't do Saturday morning but also kids that want to play rugby and gaelic or soccer and hurling. Its not possible for kids to play different sports as they are all on generally at the same time in Dublin....Saturday morning.

This is not a good thing as the research shows children benefit from playing multiple sports particularly at a young age.

Clontarf RFC have kids training on a Sunday morning so it looks like they will go down the rugby route for now.
    Would there be many clubs that would really have saturday afternoons for training?
    As it means people then cant do much on the day compared to a morning training session and lots of rugby training in clubs will be Sunday mornings as its schools rugby on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As the kids progress through the age-groups, the league matches get later and later on a Saturday, before heading into Sunday. All age-groups tend to play at the same time at the weekend to maximise pitch usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Isles used to have kids training on Friday evenings, indoors until weather improves. Not that far out of your range.

Reason Saturday afternoon is not an option for many clubs is that it is game time for older juveniles.

Would there be many clubs that would really have saturday afternoons for training?
    As it means people then cant do much on the day compared to a morning training session and lots of rugby training in clubs will be Sunday mornings as its schools rugby on Saturdays.

I agree that a Saturday morning suits most people best but a good young soccer player will struggle to fit in gaelic or vice versa as both codes train at the same time on a Saturday morning.

When I was growing up we did everything, gaelic, soccer, rugby, basketball, boxing, tennis, snooker, golf, weight lifting etc etc. I played gaelic, rugby and soccer for the school as well as tennis.

Now the kids seem to only have the opportunity to focus on one of the three main sports gaelic, rugby or soccer.

I reckon a club that shows flexibility in its training times would see a great uptake in membership.

I agree that a Saturday morning suits most people best but a good young soccer player will struggle to fit in gaelic or vice versa as both codes train at the same time on a Saturday morning.

When I was growing up we did everything, gaelic, soccer, rugby, basketball, boxing, tennis, snooker, golf, weight lifting etc etc. I played gaelic, rugby and soccer for the school as well as tennis.

Now the kids seem to only have the opportunity to focus on one of the three main sports gaelic, rugby or soccer.

I reckon a club that shows flexibility in its training times would see a great uptake in membership.

Why are you asking that the GAA shows flexibility?

As I said already, pitches are in demand, and are used at various other fixed times at the weekend for other age-groups.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Why are you asking that the GAA shows flexibility?

As I said already, pitches are in demand, and are used at various other fixed times at the weekend for other age-groups.

Not just asking that the GAA to be flexible. The two biggest clubs near me St Vincents and Belvedere FC and they are both in the Marino area. Any kid that plays for Vincents cant play for Belvedere and vice versa.

Why are the clubs not more flexible to facilitate kids playing both sports?

Maybe the race to secure young kids allegiance to a particular sport and club is too strong.

Rule 27 was removed in 1971.

Here we go ….. 1971 and all that.

So the GAA should rearrange hundreds of games and training to suit soccer clubs :-)

Why don't Belvedere change theirs given Vinnies rather higher place in the firmament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

strongback wrote:

I am not in a position to get the kids to football on a Saturday morning. I would like the kids to get involved with GAA as it it has been a big part of my family over the years
    Is there anyone (relative/friend/neighbour) that you could ask to transport them for you? You could also try contacting the club & ask if there are any other parents living close to you who could oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Not just asking that the GAA to be flexible. The two biggest clubs near me St Vincents and Belvedere FC and they are both in the Marino area. Any kid that plays for Vincents cant play for Belvedere and vice versa.

Why are the clubs not more flexible to facilitate kids playing both sports?

Maybe the race to secure young kids allegiance to a particular sport and club is too strong.

Rule 27 was removed in 1971.

What in the name of holy does 1971 have to do with anything?

It's already been explained to you why nurseries are on in the morning & it doesn't have anything to do with the GAA being deliberately biased against other sports. If you want to go down that road, the mods would probably be better locking the thread, as it sounds like you're just trying to pick a fight over nothing at all.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Here we go ….. 1971 and all that.

So the GAA should rearrange hundreds of games and training to suit soccer clubs :-)

Why don't Belvedere change theirs given Vinnies rather higher place in the firmament.

I don't think thats what I said.

Two massive clubs, both from the same area drawing from the same catchment do not facilitate the playing of gaelic and soccer for kids as young as 4 years old.

As I said playing multiple sports only benefits children particularly at the important devopmental stage between the ages of 5 to 7 when their brain and body are learning to coordinate.

It seems that different clubs from the same community want excusivity on kids playing their sport from as young as 4 years old. Its a bit sad as the vast majority of those kids will not develop into adult players so why be so serious about it. Tbe big soccer clubs are more ruthless in this regard.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What in the name of holy does 1971 have to do with anything?

It's already been explained to you why nurseries are on in the morning & it doesn't have anything to do with the GAA being deliberately biased against other sports. If you want to go down that road, the mods would probably be better locking the thread, as it sounds like you're just trying to pick a fight over nothing at all.

Rule 27 opened up GAA players to play foreign sports. If the nursery at 9am on Saturday is a tablet of stone that can never be changed then so be it, rigid thinking as it may be.

It effects me as I cant get my kids to gaelic at 9am on a.Saturday so I asked a question that led into kids playing multiple sports.

Lock the thread because censorship is better than discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I'm involved in a big Dublin club and here is the reality of GAA planning

Our club has 1000 members, 70 teams from U8 to senior

We don't have enough pitches and a lot of mentors ( all volunteer parents with full time jobs) are coaching multiple teams.

We do everything we can to faciliate kids playing hockey/soccer and other sports.
    Its a pity you cant find a training time that suits you but its not practical to suit everyone.

There is a full schedule of juvenile matches every Saturday afternoon in football / ladies football / hurling and camogie from U8 to U16.
    We just don't have the pitches or the mentors to run a nursery on a Saturday afternoon and if we did, most parents would complain that they are expected to be in two places at the same time ( nursery with the 5 year old and an away match with the 9 year old)

Join a club and put a motion to the convention.

Good luck.

I don't think thats what I said.

Two massive clubs, both from the same area drawing from the same catchment do not facilitate the playing of gaelic and soccer for kids as young as 4 years old.

As I said playing multiple sports only benefits children particularly at the important devopmental stage between the ages of 5 to 7 when their brain and body are learning to coordinate.

It seems that different clubs from the same community want excusivity on kids playing their sport from as young as 4 years old. Its a bit sad as the vast majority of those kids will not develop into adult players so why be so serious about it. Tbe big soccer clubs are more ruthless in this regard.
    Rule 27 opened up GAA players to play foreign sports. If the nursery at 9am on Saturday is a tablet of stone that can never be changed then so be it, rigid thinking as it may be.

It effects me as I cant get my kids to gaelic at 9am on a.Saturday so I asked a question that led into kids playing multiple sports.

Have you opened a thread in the Soccer forum about this?

It has been explained to you many times why it is not possible to run them on Saturday afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well, if you are that interested in having an open discussion, how come you have deliberately ignored the posts from people explaining precisely why nurseries for very young kids are in the morning - older kids are using the same pitches later in the day?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Well, if you are that interested in having an open discussion, how come you have deliberately ignored the posts from people explaining precisely why nurseries for very young kids are in the morning - older kids are using the same pitches later in the day?

Tradition say the nursery must be on at 9.30am and the older kids in the afteroon.

Can a schedule never be altered?

At any time in the afternoon is every pitch in use, particularly in the big clubs with multiple pitches. I have been in Vincent's, Fairview Park and the Clontarf astro pitches and I often see a pitch not used.

Sometimes I think if there is a will there is a way. If Vincent's and Belvedere sat down and said we will put our nursery's on at different times they would gain a major advantage in attracting players instead of splitting them between two sports.

I am not expecting anything to change so I will be trying to make a gaelic player without the child playing gaelic. It looks like this.

- Basketball on Wednesday afternoon for ball handling and body movement/ positioning.
    - Soccer on a Saturday afternoon to learn ball striking, running, balance.
    - Rugby on a Sunday morning for ball handling, ball carrying, strength, tackling.

All three will develop the ABC's - Agility, Balance and Coordination.

Tradition say the nursery must be on at 9.30am and the older kids in the afteroon.

Can a schedule never be altered?

At any time in the afternoon is every pitch in use, particularly in the big clubs with multiple pitches. I have been in Vincent's, Fairview Park and the Clontarf astro pitches and I often see a pitch not used.

Sometimes I think if there is a will there is a way. If Vincent's and Belvedere sat down and said we will put our nursery's on at different times they would gain a major advantage in attracting players instead of splitting them between two sports.

I am not expecting anything to change so I will be trying to make a gaelic player without the child playing gaelic. It looks like this.

- Basketball on Wednesday afternoon for ball handling and body movement/ positioning.
    - Soccer on a Saturday afternoon to learn ball striking, running, balance.
    - Rugby on a Sunday morning for ball handling, ball carrying, strength, tackling.

All three will develop the ABC's - Agility, Balance and Coordination.
    Thats a bit simplistic and there is far more to each sport than just those.
    And there isnt really much for vincents/belvedere and any others to really go and discuss this.
    Now if you were in a more rural area where majority of kids were involved in two clubs etc then you would have a point but not in a city.
    While its great you have your child playing multiple sports as too many dont have. But why do you say you are trying to make a gaelic player surely if that interested shouldnt you not be trying to make an athlete who then can choose whatever sport they like/prefer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Find a club where the friends go to on a Saturday morning and give reciprocal lifts to other children to soccer/rugby.

Ps, the child is meant to just go to any sports for fun!

Thats a bit simplistic and there is far more to each sport than just those.
    And there isnt really much for vincents/belvedere and any others to really go and discuss this.
    Now if you were in a more rural area where majority of kids were involved in two clubs etc then you would have a point but not in a city.
    While its great you have your child playing multiple sports as too many dont have. But why do you say you are trying to make a gaelic player surely if that interested shouldnt you not be trying to make an athlete who then can choose whatever sport they like/prefer

Why is there no benefit to Vincents and Belvedere talking. Vincent's could really benefit. Belvedere is a schoolboy club, if their lads were playing gaelic as well then when their playing days at Belvedere ended at 18 years old or younger they would have gaelic up their sleeve.

The dogs in the street know that if a lad is not playing League of Ireland or at least the upper levels of Leinster league he is playing in a poor soccer league where the clubs have no money or facilities. At that stage gaelic looks very attractive, the GAA had:

- Fierce rivalries and competive games that mean a lot.

- A great sense of community

- Players are held in good regard

- Does the job/ career no harm.

- Better facilites and clubhouses etc.

Good lads being released by top school boy clubs would love the option of gaelic and GAA clubs would be getting top class talent where years of training by high level UEFA badged coaches has been put in.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

I'm a mentor in a Northside club. U10's, we train Monday and Wednesday, match Saturday morning.

A good few of the kids play soccer too. Soccer train on Tuesday and/or Thursday depending on the club. Matches on Sunday.

Some play rugby. They train Friday and match on a Sunday.

As said previously all mini leagues/nurseries are on Saturday morning to accommodate the other age groups matches and training. Space is limited in clubs.

Why is there no benefit to Vincents and Belvedere talking. Vincent's could really benefit. Belvedere is a schoolboy club, if their lads were playing gaelic as well then when their playing days at Belvedere ended at 18 years old or younger they would have gaelic up their sleeve.

The dogs in the street know that if a lad is not playing League of Ireland or at least the upper levels of Leinster league he is playing in a poor soccer league where the clubs have no money or facilities. At that stage gaelic looks very attractive, the GAA had:

Good lads being released by top school boy clubs would love the option of gaelic and GAA clubs would be getting top class talent where years of training by high level UEFA badged coaches has been put in.

You are talking about just two clubs. There will be kids playing for more clubs than just those and you are being harsh on standards of soccer and overly optimistic on standards of gaelic they otherwise might be playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

schoolboy soccer clubs in Dublin often tell 15 year olds to give up GAA if they want to 'make it' at soccer
    no player is ever 'released' from a GAA club

Advertisement