Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orthodontist Waterford

• 15-02-2019 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all, My kids need braces, any recommendations for local orthodontists. There seems to be quite a few of them around. Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

I know a few people who have used O'Keeffe's and found them great to deal with.

http://www.okeeffeorthodontics.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

Thanks Tarzann I'll look into them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Mr Shiels, Waterford Orthodontics is brilliant. He is beside Garter Lane and will be one day a week in Tramore soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I can recommend Joe Alcock in Park Orthodontics, he's very good and I'm very happy with how my son's teeth are now . I used to work as a dental nurse including in orthodontics when I lived abroad and couldn't find any fault with his work.

Thanks for the recommendations, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Tarzann wrote: »
    I know a few people who have used O'Keeffe's and found them great to deal with.

http://www.okeeffeorthodontics.com/

Con wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but when I went to him he had people travelling from all over the region for his services.

Things have moved on since. I had to go in for a bit of follow up work recently with my local clinic in Dublin, 20 years after Con, and they criticised his approach and how it's left my teeth, and therefore we've had to take steps to correct it.

Maybe that's just changed times, but it might be that with more qualified people out there in this space that the standard of care is going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

hardybuck wrote: »
    Con wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but when I went to him he had people travelling from all over the region for his services.

Things have moved on since. I had to go in for a bit of follow up work recently with my local clinic in Dublin, 20 years after Con, and they criticised his approach and how it's left my teeth, and therefore we've had to take steps to correct it.

Maybe that's just changed times, but it might be that with more qualified people out there in this space that the standard of care is going up.

Agree 100%. I found Con to be pretty blunt TBH. Went for a consultation about 10yrs ago and he wasnt very customer friendly @ all. Very abrupt. Kinda said well its too late to do anything about it.

I revisited the idea in 2014 and took up a free consultation offer with Park Orthodontics [Joe Alcock]. What a revelation! Within 2 and a half years my teeth and smile was transformed. No problems. Flexible payment options. Great after care and follow up. I would'nt go anywhere else if I were you!

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I've been on to a few of those and my god the costs are eye watering. Have gotten quotes from €3,500 - €4,500 per child. We will be eating beans for the foreseeable :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Just like the Chiropractor thread, there's a lot of unnecessary bad-naming of professionals on here. Experiences from 10+ years ago are not necessarily relevant today.

I do know that Con's daughter is also practising at his clinic and that they have a pricing plan where you can pay monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

gscully wrote: »
    Just like the Chiropractor thread, there's a lot of unnecessary bad-naming of professionals on here. Experiences from 10+ years ago are not necessarily relevant today.

I do know that Con's daughter is also practising at his clinic and that they have a pricing plan where you can pay monthly.

I feel that I've been very balanced in my feedback, I would consider it necessary that people have this information when making big decisions like their teeth.

It just so happens that two of his customers who commented had the same experience, but I think we've also mentioned that it was some time ago.

His manner aside, he was definitely the go-to person when I was looking around.

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    I feel that I've been very balanced in my feedback, I would consider it necessary that people have this information when making big decisions like their teeth.

It just so happens that two of his customers who commented had the same experience, but I think we've also mentioned that it was some time ago.

His manner aside, he was definitely the go-to person when I was looking around.

I appreciate that. I wasn't criticising anyone's feedback - just saying that times have moved on since and that his practice has expanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

gscully wrote: »
    I appreciate that. I wasn't criticising anyone's feedback - just saying that times have moved on since and that his practice has expanded.

You must have a vested interested. Or know his daughter? Perhaps she might be more au fait with the concept of customer care?? What is the old saying again... it goes something like "the client is king".

You must have a vested interested. Or know his daughter? Perhaps she might be more au fait with the concept of customer care?? What is the old saying again... it goes something like "the client is king".

Wrong. On both counts.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

MillyD123 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation guys. I've been on to a few of those and my god the costs are eye watering. Have gotten quotes from €3,500 - €4,500 per child. We will be eating beans for the foreseeable :-)

There is the option of the HSE meeting some or all of the cost although there can be a long wait and the issue(s) have to be serious. A relation's child had their straightening programme paid for.

Several people we know have been very happy with Park Orthodontics.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I currently have one child under Joe Alcock and I cant recommend him highly enough. I myself was a patient of Con O Keeffe but that was about 25 years, so I wouldn't dare comment on how things are up there now. The reason we went to Joe this time around was he came highly recommended and also, I went to school with Joe. He's a gentleman.

I've another child now who is nearly 10 and we are hoping to get her seen by HSE and added to a waiting list, from what I am led to believe, current waiting lists are between 4-5 years, so if she got on a list and got seen by 15, then that would be ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

I went for a consultation to o keefees because my children are with him. He was so rude to me I left in floods of tears. Only my kids are half way through their treatment I would have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I currently have one child under Joe Alcock and I cant recommend him highly enough. I myself was a patient of Con O Keeffe but that was about 25 years, so I wouldn't dare comment on how things are up there now. The reason we went to Joe this time around was he came highly recommended and also, I went to school with Joe. He's a gentleman.

I've another child now who is nearly 10 and we are hoping to get her seen by HSE and added to a waiting list, from what I am led to believe, current waiting lists are between 4-5 years, so if she got on a list and got seen by 15, then that would be ok too.

Don't hold your breath, the provision of Dental Services in the South East is yet another tale of scandalous neglect. I am surprised there wasn't any reaction on this forum to the report which came out in January showing 84,000 are on waiting lists nationally and 22,900 are in the South East (27% of the total!).

Whats worse, when RTE reported on it they described the South East as HSE District 8 if I remember rightly so I presume there are at least 8 districts. I have tried to find the report on line to see the full league table but I can't find it anywhere. RTE, and the attached Times story, did say the second worst area was the North West with 18,900 and third was the Midlands with 12,900. No further figures were given but simple maths would tell you that the entire rest of the country including, Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway have waiting lists totalling less than 28,000, just 5,000 more than the total for the SE. You must get seen almost immediately in these areas considering the populations involved.

In my own case, one of my sons was put on the waiting list in his final year in National School. He has finally been assigned an Orthodontist which is a big relief considering he is finishing TY in May. He will have the disruption of attending the Orhodontist while doing his Leaving. If I had known it would take this long I would have paid the money, but they kept telling us he would be called after the Summer or after Christmas whenever we contacted them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/children-in-their-thousands-suffering-on-dental-waiting-lists-1.3763069

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Lisa needs braces (sorry couldn't resist)

But id recommend O Keeffe Orthodontics, on Johns hill, that's were I had mine done many moons ago, v friendly staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Derek Shiels. Brilliant service to be fair. Expensive but they all are!

Advertisement