Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to report misleading food labeling?

• 16-02-2019 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I bought a bag of pre-cooked quinoa. Like those microwaveable bags.

Anyway when I brought it home and cooked it, it turned out that it was actually mostly rice. There was no mention of rice on the front of the pack, it just said quinoa. But if you check the ingredients, it's actually mostly rice, and less than 10% quinoa. Should have checked that first.

The advertising standards authority only deal with ads, and the food safety authority only deal with safety ie. bacteria and sell by dates etc.

This is more of a scam than a health issue.

Who can I report this to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Can you post a picture of the packaging, or a link so we can see it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

RasTa wrote: »
    Just forget about it

Why? I've caught them doing that stuff before. I'm sick of it. They need a kick in the arse. It's aldi by the way.

dee_mc wrote: »
    Can you post a picture of the packaging, or a link so we can see it please?

Front packaging:

lGaLSkS.jpg

Ingredients:

wHK2o6q.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You could report it to either the FSA or the ASA - misleading food labeling is technically under the remit of both, according to the Consumers' Association of Ireland.
    You could also write to/email Aldi and let them know your concerns.
    To be honest when I initially read your post I thought you were just being silly but to see 6% quinoa in the ingredients list when it's in big letters on the front of the pack as though it was a main ingredient is so cheeky!
    I'd probably stick with the word 'misleading' rather than 'scam' though to be honest!

How about this one? Mmmm.... yoghurt and mint. Sounds yummy.

Demp6Uw.jpg

yE2fg8g.jpg

Is this even legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

How about this one? Mmmm.... yoghurt and mint. Sounds yummy.

Anyone who expects there to be actual yoghurt in a sauce found on an ambient shelf needs to go back to school, tbh.

I think you're looking for problems where none exist, quite frankly. I just came from Lidl and checked the microwave quinoa (it was before you'd posted the pics) and it literally says right there on the back of the pack that it's durum wheat, rice and quinoa.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Anyone who expects there to be actual yoghurt in a sauce found on an ambient shelf needs to go back to school, tbh.

Wow, you are an absolute arsehole :confused: No need for that comment.
    I think you're looking for problems where none exist, quite frankly. I just came from Lidl and checked the microwave quinoa (it was before you'd posted the pics) and it literally says right there on the back of the pack that it's durum wheat, rice and quinoa.

Why call it Quinoa then? I wouldn't mind if they mentioned wheat and rice on the front. There must be some sort of legal threshold where you're not allowed call a something xyz if there's less than a certain % of xyz in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

JackieChang, personal attacks aren't tolerated in this forum so think carefully before posting again.

You might try the Consumer Issues forum for advice:https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Isn't this similar to smoky bacon pringles not being flavored with smoky bacon?(They are even vegan friendly from what I know)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because of the content of the topic I nearly posted a mod warning thinking this was in Consumer. :PAC:

CCPC, but they are unlikely to do anything. ASAI don't deal with packaging and are completely useless anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: JackieChang, I’ve deleted your last post. If you wish to discuss a mod decision, please PM us and don’t discuss it on-thread, as per our charter. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In fairness to the OP the front of the packet advertises it is a tomato and olive quinoa product. Then the ingredients on the back list it as quinoa making up 8.5% whereas durum wheat and rice make up 32%. I think it is a bit disingenous to be advertising it primarly as quinoa when wheat and rice make up almost four times the quantity of quinoa in it.

Advertisement