Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

• 13-11-2017 8:22pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Word popped up on this a few days ago. It's now confirmed as going ahead with Amazon, multi-season deal.
    Amazon's LOTR series will be set in Middle-earth and explore new storylines preceding Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal includes a potential additional spinoff series.

THR

Don't think he knows about second breakfast. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,191 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wow some crazy money going to be involved in the making of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Would have preferred Netflix getting it. Don't really rate any Amazon content yet

Some of the New Zealand sets still there from the Jackson films I think which may help with the making of the series.

I wonder will Stuart Townsend finally get his chance to play Aragorn :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

Think this could be excellent if is done right. All signs point to completely separate stories from LOTR so why is it being dubbed a LOTR Tv Show! Just for the headlines I guess.

The timing could be perfect, something massive and fantasy just after GOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Never read the books but I'm just picturing a Life of Brian type story following a Hobbit which isn't Bilbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They should get Colm Meaney to play a part in it. He could be a wizard or a goblin lol. He turned down his chance to play a part in the films now is his change.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm not sure what I think about this to be honest, the movies were almost perfect so the TV series is always going to be compared to it, then again it worked out well for Shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Says it's preceding it, so wonder would they take something from the Silmarillion. Something like Beren and Luthien could work quite well. If they were going more adventurous like the Fall of Gondolin or Numeanur.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Looks like Amazon are set to announce details of their LOTR series tomorrow.
    They’ve paid a massive amount for the rights but no real info since the deal. Let’s see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Internetz seems to think it'll be about young Aragorn to start with.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/5/17/17364734/aragorn-lord-of-the-rings-amazon-series

‘Lord of the Rings’ TV Series Is Neither a ‘Remake’ Nor a ‘Whole New Thing,’ Amazon Eyeing New Zealand Shoot

Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke spent three hours with J.R.R. Tolkien’s grandson Simon Tolkien talking about the studio's upcoming trip to Middle Earth.
    When Jennifer Salke took over as the head of Amazon Studios earlier this year, she inherited the company’s most expensive and anticipated original offering to date: A television series based on “The Lord of the Rings” franchise. Salke didn’t strike the multimillion dollar deal between Amazon and the J.R.R. Tolkien estate, but she is fully committing to making sure her studio’s investment in Middle Earth pays off creatively and financially. A new report from Variety confirms Salke and her Amazon team are now looking for writers to work on the series.

Variety reports Salke spent three hours with J.R.R. Tolkien’s grandson, Simon Tolkien, to talk about Amazon’s plans for the franchise. The next step is getting the prospective writers in front of the Tolkien estate to see how it would like to proceed. Salke referred to the relationship between Amazon and the Tolkien estate as a “partnership” where the latter has say in the show’s vision. The deal Amazon landed with the estate gives it access to nearly all of the material in the Middle Earth saga (although not 100% of it).

“It’s a partnership,” Salke said of Amazon’s deal with the estate. “They have some lines in the play on this on strategy and on vision. The great news about that is that they’re actually really thoughtful and smart, as you would expect.”

As for what a “Lord of the Rings” television series will look like on screen, Salke said it’s still too early to tell. Rumors broke earlier this year the series would feature a young Aragon storyline, although Salke’s statement would suggest nothing is finalized at this point. The studio head said the only thing she knows for sure is the show will land somewhere between being completely original and being a faithful adaptation.

“It’s not a remaking of the movies, and it’s not a whole new thing,” Salke said. “It’s something in between. It’s not, ‘Oh, it’s “Lord of the Rings” but you don’t recognize anything in it,’ but it’s not totally familiar to you either. So it’s original.”

While Jackson has said he will not be involved with the series, Deadline reports that might not be completely true. Salke is reportedly figuring how Jackson might want to be involved. Jackson, who directed “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” film trilogies, probably won’t be a producer or a director on the show, but Amazon is eyeing a New Zealand production shoot so it can take advantage of the same locations used on the film and can have access to Jackson’s production and visual effects studios.

Expect Amazon to work on casting after hiring writers for the series. Head over to Variety for more on Salke’s transition into Amazon Studios.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-not-original-new-zealand-1201973431/

Amazon’s ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Series Lays Out Possible Direction, Literally
    There is “no timetable” according to Amazon Studios boss Jennifer Salke for the launching of the streamer’s already much hyped series based on The Lord of the Rings, but it looks like there is a new way to find out what’s going on in the “darkest depths of Mordor,” to quote J.R.R Tolkien fans Led Zeppelin.

Having revealed a handful of social media handles for the JD Payne and Patrick McKay developed series earlier this week at TCA and teasing that they are “making great progress,” Salke and Amazon are now providing a map, literally.

Today online, the Jeff Bezos-founded company dropped the latest in a cryptic trio of inaugural tweets – and there may be some clues in the quest to discover what’s coming.

With a multi-season commitment in a rights deal with the Tolkien estate believed to be close to $250 million, the LOTR is based on the beloved fantasy novels. The LOTR series will be produced by Amazon Studios in cooperation with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line Cinema, a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment, which produced the Peter Jackson directed Oscar winning LOTR movies.

Set in Middle Earth, as we can now see for sure from the map, the TV series is set to explore new storylines preceding Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring book

What does the new map tell us of which characters will pop up?

How will Peter Jackson be involved?

Where will it all go? What clues are there really?

One sharp eyed fan noted that the “map shows Middle-Earth post-war of wrath since Beleriand isn’t on it, meaning the show takes place in the second of third age.”

Tell us what you find – because, to quote the man who created the world of LOTR himself, as Amazon did:

https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/status/1096409315282284544

https://deadline.com/2019/02/lord-of-the-rings-amazon-series-tweets-clues-map-jrr-tolkien-1202558299/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 filters

Lets not pretend , its going to be woeful, the same ideology that has made a mess of Doctor Who and Star Trek Discovery is going to be pushed hard in this adaptation, expect the worst and you won't be disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭flazio

By "ideology" do you mean promoting inclusion and harmony?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 filters

flazio wrote: »
    By "ideology" do you mean promoting inclusion and harmony?

Black elves, why?
    Middle earth was at war, no inclusion and harmony there
    Inclusion and harmony is BS, we all know it, if they made a TV series in the morning about General Custer and the battle of little big horn, does any one believe they would pack the ranks of Custer men with POC actors or would it just be white men going to try slaughter native americans?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,737 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Stick to the shows details, not soapboxing and conspracy theories. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,737 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Getting back to reality, looks like secrets are being pretty aggressively guarded for now; feels a little like overkill for a decades old series of novels.

Also not particularly stoked about Jeff Bezos' apparently being fairly close to the project, unless the meeting with the Tolkien estate was just a once-off, meet & greet. CEOs should stay the hell away from the nuts and bolts of any creative process.

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-reportedly-has-lord-of-the-rings-writers-in-a-lo-1832744087
    They’re down in Santa Monica. You have to go through such clearance, and they have all their windows taped closed. And there’s a security guard that sits outside, and you have to have a fingerprint to get in there, because their whole board is up on a thing of the whole season.

Bezos will turn into a James Bond Villain and destroy the world or the next Howard Hughes and destroy himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭corkie

[polygon] Amazon’s Lord of the Rings TV show is set in the Second Age — here’s why that matters
    Two tweets posted Thursday morning featured an expanded map of Middle-earth, notably including the island of Númenor, the civilization of Men from whom Aragorn descended, and which was destroyed thousands of years prior to the events of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. A link to a larger version of the map was accompanied by the text “Welcome to the Second Age,” referring to the centuries leading up to the Last Alliance of Elves and Men and the first downfall of Sauron.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

corkie wrote: »
    Sounds more Silmarillion than LOTR. Probably the only way they'd get the 10 seasons they need to pay for it!

Apparently filming for this is beginning in August, in Edinburgh. A very historical city, with plenty of suitably medieval locations to pick from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭satguy

I think LOTR has been done to death, and I think Amazon might have looked elsewhere for that big hit. It is plain for all to see, Amazon crave a one big headline show.

When you think of how many top shows HBO have had, see below, You might understand why Jeff Bezos needs this big bang.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=famous+hbo+shows&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE839IE839&oq=famous+HBO+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.6741j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

satguy wrote: »
    I think LOTR has been done to death, and I think Amazon might have looked elsewhere for that big hit. It is plain for all to see, Amazon crave a one big headline show.

When you think of how many top shows HBO have had, see below, You might understand why Jeff Bezos needs this big bang.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=famous+hbo+shows&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE839IE839&oq=famous+HBO+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.6741j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Game of thrones is huge. LOTR has some similar elements. Why are you surprised that execs would take a punt on it?

Besides, 6 movies over the course of 20 years is hardly "done to death". Sure marvel has done three times that amount in half the time and the public is still lapping it up.

Kirby wrote: »
    Game of thrones is huge. LOTR has some similar elements. Why are you surprised that execs would take a punt on it?

Besides, 6 movies over the course of 20 years is hardly "done to death". Sure marvel has done three times that amount in half the time and the public is still lapping it up.
    The problem with LOTR is that as a book it has a lot of very "quiet" moments. That didn't matter so much when Peter Jackson gave it his treatment, very well overall IMO. If they go for the book itself that's not going to give them an awful lot of television. It will also draw instant comparison with the trilogy. They seem instead to be delving back into the period of the much earlier incarnation though the Silmarillion. As there is a huge gap between that era and the LOTR timeframe that gives them plenty of licence to develop their own version of it.

Will it work? I'm not sure but there will be plenty of anal Tolkien heads to fall on it if it gets it wrong. I'm in the why bother camp on this as it looks more like an excuse to generate a multi-season epic to replace GOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

is_that_so wrote: »
    The problem with LOTR is that as a book it has a lot of very "quiet" moments. That didn't matter so much when Peter Jackson gave it his treatment, very well overall IMO. If they go for the book itself that's not going to give them an awful lot of television. It will also draw instant comparison with the trilogy. They seem instead to be delving back into the period of the much earlier incarnation though the Silmarillion. As there is a huge gap between that era and the LOTR timeframe that gives them plenty of licence to develop their own version of it.

Will it work? I'm not sure but there will be plenty of anal Tolkien heads to fall on it if it gets it wrong. I'm in the why bother camp on this as it looks more like an excuse to generate a multi-season epic to replace GOT.

It's already announced that the series is based on a small part of the Silmarillion.

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's already announced that the series is based on a small part of the Silmarillion.
    There's always been a risk here with the idea. Even that may not fill enough seasons nor convince people to watch it. Straight out of the gate it is under pressure to deliver as there is a standard to compare it with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I really can't see it being a GOT replacement either, presumably it being LOTR it's going to be a relatively family-friendly affair as opposed to a hard 'adult' show. I'm not saying adult content is essential to making a great show for all ages to enjoy, but part of what makes GOT so good is the sheer brutality in every sense of the word and incredibly adult themes (gratuitous nudity less so, but it has its place at times).

The closest thing to GOT right now is probably 'The Last Kingdom' really. Itself not dissimilar to Vikings but more grisly.

Bryan Cogman who was a writer and producer on GoT has joined as a consultant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Bryan Cogman who was a writer and producer on GoT has joined as a consultant.

Tell me he wasn't part of the last season of GOT.

Advertisement