Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vinyl wrapping

Options
  • 14-02-2019 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Was thinking about getting the Mustang resprayed as it has some clear coat issues and I need to do some bonnet repairs, that will be hard to match the paint on... but then someone started me thinking about getting the car wrapped.

Looks to be much cheaper, last about 7-10 years and only take a few days, so anyone had any real world experience with getting their car wrapped?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The guy that wrapped the ugly plastic grill in my Ioniq is really good, he came recommended by the biggest wholesale provider of wrapping materials in Ireland. When I got to him, he just handed over an '07 Audi TT that he had fully wrapped in a matte olive green / brown colour to its owner and it was a stunning job. The guy works full time just wrapping. Cars, vans, you name it.

His name is Mantis, tel. 085 788 4875, Sunbury Industrial Estate, lower Ballymount Road

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are you in county Dublin OP?

If you're in West/Midlands
    www.revolutionireland.ie Mullingar
    www.georgesigns.com Galway
    http://autoproject.ie Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Two words that should NEVER be used on a classic car forum......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Might help hold some of them together :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It will actually keep the original paint safe from the sun and I am sure can be found in the original colour also, win win and best of all it is completely reversible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

mustang68 wrote: »
    Was thinking about getting the Mustang resprayed as it has some clear coat issues and I need to do some bonnet repairs, that will be hard to match the paint on... but then someone started me thinking about getting the car wrapped.

Looks to be much cheaper, last about 7-10 years and only take a few days, so anyone had any real world experience with getting their car wrapped?

What kind of prices were you quoted if you don't mind me asking?

I got a quote of 1800-2000 plus vat to wrap a vintage car, thought it was saucy enough.

A proper complete respray is coming in around the same price.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Plastidip (or similar) should work well too, and will be cheaper.

I got a quote of 1800-2000 plus vat to wrap a vintage car, thought it was saucy enough.

That's saucy. I asked the guy I mentioned up there a few years ago and his range was €1000-€1500 depending on the type and size of a car. Incl. VAT. I would say most cars would be at the higher end of that range.

I was never a fan of full car wrapping until I saw the TT, it looked brilliant, like brand new (it was 10 years old) and it had a unique colour. It changed my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭911s

I would be very wary of wrapping an older car
    with non original paintwork or touch ups or partial
    re sprays. When it comes to vinyl removal time some of the paint may lift off with the vinyl, back to square one, needing a re spray

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    Why not?

Its for scangers cars.....:P

Are we talking a retro car or a classic car.....wrapping a classic is just wrong...unless youre a scanger...:D

Its for scangers cars.....:P

I used to agree with you. In the early days with some of the jobs done DIY in matt black or carbon fibre on a felted TDI by its scanger owner :p

Different ballgame now though with a professionally wrapped car.

unkel wrote: »
    I used to agree with you. In the early days with some of the jobs done DIY in matt black or carbon fibre on a felted TDI by its scanger owner :p

Different ballgame now though with a professionally wrapped car.

I've seen plenty of modern cars wrapped and the quality is excellent....but never on a classic, it reeks of "pimp my ride" and the king skanger that IS Ryan Friedlinghaus..ya know Ryan, on a normal person theyre just "shorts"....:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Can any wrapping replicate a regular, glossy paintjob?

Or are you constrained to some sort of matte or textured finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Dades wrote: »
    Can any wrapping replicate a regular, glossy paintjob?

Or are you constrained to some sort of matte or textured finish?

You can get mirror finish if you like no constraints

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mirror, as in like a mirror, or a glossy colour finish indistinguishable from an actual paintjob?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Was recently in Switzerland, around Zurich, and saw plenty of (very!) high end cars that were wrapped, mostly matte black or dark grey. They looked stunning. The owners of those cars were definitely not scangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Plastidip (or similar) should work well too, and will be cheaper.

Actually, this is stuff I've used to freshen up black plastic parts on my car. It's great stuff, and it's pretty difficult to make a mess of it. If you spray a good few coats it will peel back without breaking up.

https://www.fulldip.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Alun wrote: »
    Was recently in Switzerland, around Zurich, and saw plenty of (very!) high end cars that were wrapped, mostly matte black or dark grey. They looked stunning. The owners of those cars were definitely not scangers.

Scangers with money?

Vinyl is soft and will mark easily,gloss vinyl will scratch if you use a cloth on it on a sunny day.. if you get a dent or scratch it cant be repaired easily...as above theyre generally matt finish or mirror (vomits).....or camo if you want to blend in ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

A proper complete respray is coming in around the same price.

I was getting quotes of around 1400, where can you get a full prep and respray for around that cost? Also last time I got it painted it was off the road for about five weeks between prep, painting and reinstalling trim/glass etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

2k for a repeat would be the lower end of the spectrum as far as I'm concerned, I'd doubt that they would be removing glass for that price.

Advertisement