Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super XV Rugby 2019

• 03-02-2019 11:58pm
    Subscribers Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭

ok guys... coming to that time of year again... and as a bit of a distraction from THAT opening 6N game.... heres the 2019 Super Rugby thread.

Ill do a run down on all the teams and squads in the coming days, but i want to start with an open invitation to all to take part in the annual superbru predictor game:

Join boards.ie SR2019, my Super Rugby Predictor league on @Superbru! You can find my pool here:

https://www.superbru.com/superrugby/pool.php?p=11971838

or by downloading the Superbru app and searching for the pool with code:

palsowns

Reigning Champion Swiwi is going for a hat trick ... as is his crusaders team.

so the more the merrier welcome........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Like every year I will try and watch this but like every year in reality I will see very little of it.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

OK, so a quick review of the Kiwi squads, with some names of interest bolded for the craic.

BLUES

2019 Blues squad:
    Front row: Leni Apisai, Alex Hodgman, Ezekiel Lindenmuth, Sione Mafileo, Matt Moulds, James Parsons, Marcel Renata, Karl Tu’inukuafe, Ofa Tu’ungafasi.
    Locks: Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, Josh Goodhue, Jacob Pierce, Scott Scrafton, Patrick Tuipulotu.
    Loose forwards: Jed Brown, Blake Gibson, Akira Ioane, Dalton Papalii, Tom Robinson, Hoskins Sotutu, Jimmy Tupou.
    Scrumhalves: Sam Nock, Augustine Pulu, Jonathan Ruru.
    Flyhalves: Otere Black, Stephen Perofeta, Harry Plummer.
    Centres: Levi Aumua, TJ Faiane, Ma’a Nonu, Tanielu Tele’a, Sonny Bill Williams.
    Outside Backs: Caleb Clarke, Michael Collins, Matt Duffie, Rieko Ioane, Melani Nanai, Jordan Trainor.

CHIEFS

2019 Chiefs squad:
    Props: Kane Hames, Aidan Ross, Reuben O’Neill, Nepo Laulala, Atu Moli, Sosefo Kautai, Angus Ta’avao
    Hookers: Nathan Harris Liam Polwart, Samisoni Taukei’aho
    Locks: Brodie Retallick, Tyler Ardron, Laghlan McWhannell, Michael Allardice, Fin Hoeata
    Loose forwards: Mitchell Brown, Taleni Seu, Sam Cane, Mitchell Karpik, Lachlan Boshier, Luke Jacobson, Pita Gus Sowakula
    Scrumhalves: Brad Weber, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Jonathan Taumateine
    Flyhalves: Damian McKenzie, Tiaan Falcon, Jack Debreczeni
    Centres: Alex Nankivell, Anton Lienert-Brown, Tumua Manu, Bailyn Sullivan
    Outside backs: Solomon Alaimalo, Sean Wainui, Ataata Moeakiola, Etene Nanai-Seturo, Shaun Stevenson, Marty McKenzie

CRUSADERS

2019 Crusaders squad:
    Props: Michael Alaalatoa, Harry Allan, Owen Franks, Oliver Jager, Joe Moody, Tim Perry
    Hookers: Ben Funnell, Andrew Makalio, Codie Taylor
    Locks: Scott Barrett, Quinten Strange, Luke Romano, Sam Whitelock
    Loose forwards: Ethan Blackadder, Whetukamokamo Douglas, Mitchell Dunshea, Billy Harmon, Kieran Read, Tom Sanders, Jordan Taufua, Matt Todd
    Scrumhalves: Mitchell Drummond, Ereatara Enari, Bryn Hall
    Flyhalves: Brett Cameron, Mitchell Hunt, Richie Mo’unga
    Centres: Tim Bateman, Ryan Crotty, Jack Goodhue, Ngane Punivai
    Outside backs: George Bridge, Israel Dagg, David Havili, Braydon Ennor, Leicester Faingaanuku, Will Jordan, Manasa Mataele

HIGHLANDERS

2019 Highlanders squad:
    Hookers: Liam Coltman, Ash Dixon, Ray Niuia
    Props: Daniel Lienert-Brown, Josh Iosefa-Scott, Ayden Johnstone, Siate Tokolahi, Tyrel Lomax, Sef Fa’agase
    Locks: Tom Franklin, Jackson Hemopo, Paripari Parkinson, Josh Dickson, Jack Whetton
    Loosies: Luke Whitelock, Liam Squire, James Lentjes, Dillon Hunt, Marino Mikaele Tu’u, Shannon Frizell, Elliot Dixon
    Scrumhalves: Aaron Smith, Kayne Hammington, Folau Fakatava
    Flyhalves: Bryn Gatland, Josh Ioane, Marty Banks
    Centres: Rob Thompson, Patelesio Tomkinson, Teihorangi Walden, Richard Buckman, Matt Faddes, Thomas Umaga-Jensen
    Outside Backs: Waisake Naholo, Tevita Li, Tevita Nabura , Josh McKay, Ben Smith

HURRICANES

2019 Hurricanes squad:
    Hookers: Asafo Aumua, Dane Coles, Ricky Riccitelli
    Props: Fraser Armstrong, Chris Eves, Alex Fidow, Ben May, Toby Smith, Jeff To’omaga-Allen
    Locks: James Blackwell, Geoff Cridge, Sam Lousi, Liam Mitchell, Isaia Walker-Leawere
    Loose forwards: Heiden Bedwell-Curtis, Gareth Evans, Vaea Fifita, Sam Henwood, Du’Plessis Kirifi, Reed Prinsep, Ardie Savea
    Scrumhalves: Finlay Christie, Richard Judd, TJ Perenara
    Flyhalves: Beauden Barrett, Jackson Garden-Bachop, Fletcher Smith
    Centres: Vince Aso, Wes Goosen, Ngani Laumape, Billy Proctor, Matt Proctor
    Outside backs: Jordie Barrett, Ben Lam, Jonah Lowe, Nehe Milner-Skudder, James Marshall, Salesi Rayasi

so.. the big questions in regards to the new zealand sides....

1. can anyone stop the crusaders? its scary looking at the transfers in and out, where they are arguably stronger with only seta tamanivalu as the only real starter leaving. Theyve secured the signing of the highly rated Leicester Fainga'anuku as an able replacement.

my expectations: finalists

2. can the blues continue to be as bad? Tana Umaga has had 3 seasons in which his teams have continued to present themselves as less than the sum of their parts. His second season where they finished 8th should be a seen as a minimum of what this squad should be achieving.... and their 14th place last year nailed his coffin. he steps down diagonally to assistant and the leon mac donald is in, coming from being assistant with the crusaders for the last two years..... surely they can only get better? Personal-wise Karl Tu'inukuafe is an important import on the back of a staggering season last year. Non'u returns to the team he joined first seven years ago.. for his third stint there.... but surely the 36 yos legs are now only able to a bit part effort and its his organisational skills in defense which will be his big input.

my expectations: still in the hunt in the last 2-3 rounds for a wild card place.. but will ultimately fall short

3. Chiefs and hurricanes. Can the chiefs over take the hurricanes as NZs second team??? these two teams have battled it out for the last 3 seasons with never more than 2 points separating them at the end of the regular season. both teams have had some pretty serous clear out of senior players (chiefs have lost messam, bird, ngatai, pulu and nanai-williams...... Canes have lost fatiolofa, shields, thompson, west, umaga-jenson and saveau). john Plumtree steps up from assistant to head coach, but will have to juggle that with his duties with the japenese national team with an eye on the RWC

my expectations: still expect both teams to make the play offs, but both to drop further back from the chase on the crusaders

4. highlanders. Will their ageing all blacks be minding themselves for the RWC and is their wider squad good enough to compete? i think the answer to both questions is yes. I expect to see a lot less of the likes of the 2 smiths and naholo in teh back line this year... but i think the reserves are definitely good enough to compete. Marty Banks coming home a few season on the road is great news, and elliot dixon and Bucky being back to full fitness after a tough couple of seasons. Its the season the likes of Tevita Li and Rob Thompson could show signs of fulfilling their early junior promise.

my expectations: challenging the chiefs and canes for that all important 4th spot and home QF

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Good post - I'll add a few names to the bolded, 1 per side:

Dalton Papalii, Atu Moli, Will Jordan, Paripari Parkinson, Salesi Rayasi

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Banks is a really good signing for the Highlanders, he had a great season for them before he left for Italy, and with all the messing around with his contract it was clear he never really wanted to leave.

A desperate need with Sopoaga gone too, Gatland is still young and could be a decent long term option, I didn't really see much of the blues last year but he played well during the lions tour the previous year.

I think gatland will be the main man at 10 and banks will play more at 15....when they start together.

Tei Walden and Rob Thompson showed some excellent moments last year and I'm tipping them to make a huge mark on this year's comp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I think gatland will be the main man at 10 and banks will play more at 15....when they start together.

Tei Walden and Rob Thompson showed some excellent moments last year and I'm tipping them to make a huge mark on this year's comp.

Really? I wouldn't have had Gatland down for the starting 10, considering the credit in the bank (I'm ashamed of myself for typing that) that Marty has, and considering Gatland only got a few starts for the Blues and then was yanked to the bench.

I think we can all agree Sopoaga is a big loss. No standouts among that bunch and arguably other NZ teams 2nd and even 3rd choice 10s are better than any of them.

Really? I wouldn't have had Gatland down for the starting 10, considering the credit in the bank (I'm ashamed of myself for typing that) that Marty has, and considering Gatland only got a few starts for the Blues and then was yanked to the bench.

Marty was never first choice 10 at the Highlanders... Even when hayden Parker was there banks played second fiddle.
    I think both ioane and gatland are seen as the future, with gatland ahead currently....

Banks is there as an experienced crutch... But I don't want to see him start every game at 10, he's not a good enough out half for that to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Always a good way to start the morning...though awkward when the game is on at 8:35 on a Friday morning. Looking forward to this - lots of offloading rugby, optional defence, and tryfests everywhere (yes, I would watch the New Zealand games more closely :D)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Will be interesting to see if Nonu still has wheels (might come down to the Blues halves): Ma’a ma’a black streak have you any ball?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Is ROG still doing the Crusaders' laundry or has he moved on to driving the team bus this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

I'm really interested to see how Nanai-Seturo gets on. Chiefs showed last season they were happy (or forced?!) to give youth a chance in Alaimalo, Wainui and to a lesser extent Stephensen. But given the clamor around Nanai Seturo, you'd have to assume he's on a fast track to AB status. He made an instant impact at 7s level, didn't play any mitre 10, which I was surprised about, isn't playing 7s these days (Though was released for Cape Town due to injuries & may be due to SR kicking off) and was 'supposedly' contemplating a return to Rugby League. I'm not even sure what position he'll play. But he is ridiculously talented and has a high ceiling.

I think Marty Banks will be a good signing for Highlanders, if they were going into the season with Ioane and Gatland, you'd worry about their hopes of competing. Banks left SR as probably the most consistent kicker in the SH.

I'm surprised we didn't see Aumua leave the Canes, *if* Coles can stay fit, even with it being a world cup year, he's arguably 3rd choice, behind Riccitelli, who I think is a good operator, but inconsistent at the lineout. Canes have done unreal to get Laumape signed up on a long term contract.

From a non NZ perspective. I'm excited to see how the Rebels will get on with Cooper at 10, he's certainly a better option than Debreczeni or Hodge. Mafi will be a loss (on the pitch anyway) but Isi Naisarani is a decent replacement and potentially have Matt Toomua for the business end of the season if still in contention (and not on international duty).

It'll be interesting to see how much and where Karmeicheal Hunt plays for the Tahs and if he can stay out of trouble.

Britz and Vermeulan will bring a lot of experience to the Bulls. Not much to report on from a transfer perspective for the rest of the SA teams.

Sunwolves have made some decent signings - not sure if Mafi can play, but I think they'll really be affected by the WC. Think their Japanese test players won't play for the first few rounds of the tournament.

I do think we'll see the emergence of some absolute quality youngsters (and maybe the next Tu'inukuafe) thanks to the World Cup

Can't see past a Crusaders win, the depth they have is ridiculous

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    Sunwolves have made some decent signings - not sure if Mafi can play, but I think they'll really be affected by the WC. Think their Japanese test players won't play for the first few rounds of the tournament.

why not?

i cant see how a competition beginning at the end of September will be significantly affected by a tournament finishing at the end of June.

Japan dont play any international games till the 27th July.

i think they would be ok anyway as their influx of gaijins continues.. they could easily field a team of non japenese players and still be competitive with the lower ranks sxv teams.

eg they could field a team of:
    millar, Bregvadze, van Wyk, abbott, Hattingh, pryor, quirke, pryor,
    booth, parker, Masirewa, Burleigh, Ranger, van den Heever, emery

Interestingly, or not of the case may be, but josh ioane has been the starting 10 for both the Highlanders pre season games, with gatland on the bench.

So beavers back at the chiefs

Saw that yesterday, suppose they were limited in options with Falcon's injury. I'd say he'll be farily down the pecking order with McKenzie x 2 and Debreczeni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

Can't wait to see Vince Aso this Friday morning... think this could be a huge year for the guy

Can't wait to see Vince Aso this Friday morning... think this could be a huge year for the guy

Did Aso move clubs and I missed it? Otherwise he's not playing Friday haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

Did Aso move clubs and I missed it? Otherwise he's not playing Friday haha

Yeah, you're right... thought the canes game was on Friday morn :D

PULSE ENERGY HIGHLANDERS V CHIEFS – 7.35PM, FRIDAY 15TH FEBRUARY, FMG STADIUM, WAIKATO

Ayden Johnstone
    Liam Coltman
    Tyrel Lomax
    Pari Pari Parkinson
    Josh Dickson
    Jackson Hemopo
    James Lentjes
    Luke Whitelock (cc)
    Kayne Hammington
    Josh Ioane
    Tevita Li
    Thomas Umaga-Jensen
    Rob Thompson
    Matt Faddes
    Ben Smith (cc)
    RESERVES

Ash Dixon
    Daniel Lienert-Brown
    Siate Tokolahi
    Shannon Frizell
    Dillon Hunt
    Aaron Smith
    Bryn Gatland
    Patelesio Tomkinson

• Advertisement

chiefs name an incredibly green team to play highlanders:

1. Atu Moli (29)
    2. Nathan Harris (44)
    3. Angus Ta'avao (17)
    4. Brodie Retallick (98) ©
    5. Michael Allardice (34)
    6. Mitchell Brown (21)
    7. Lachlan Boshier (30)
    8. Tyler Ardron (10)
    9. Brad Weber (57)
    10. Orbyn Leger*
    11. Etene Nanai-Seturo**
    12. Anton Lienert-Brown (55)
    13. Tumua Manu*
    14. Bailyn Sullivan (1)
    15. Shaun Stevenson (33)

Reserves:

16. Samisoni Taukei'aho (9)
    17. Aidan Ross (13)
    18. Nepo Laulala (17)
    19. Taleni Seu (34)
    20. Jesse Parete (9)
    21. Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi (17)
    22. Stephen Donald (104)
    23. Ataata Moeakiola**

* Chiefs debut
    ** Super Rugby debut

still lots of quality up front, but a very fresh green back line.

The bookies odds have taken a 4 point swing after teams named from chiefs -2 to chiefs +2

Leger at 10:pac:

Luckily the injuries to Dmac and Debreczeni are minor. Still, surely MMac or Beaver would be a better option.

Leger is a weird choice. Dind't evne realise he had left the Blues tbh. Decent boot on him from the centres but thats about it. Weber and ALB are going to have to carry that backline

looking forward to seeing how Nanai-Seturo goes (hopefully not too good against the highlanders though :P )

Theres a lot of hype about him coming into this seasons after the switch from league... to sevens... to mitre 10 and now super rugby.. and hes still only 19.

Chiefs 19-10 up at half time.

Hopefully mauger brings the experience off the bench early for the Highlanders as our two young half backs are at sea defensively

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

The crowds once again are awful. This is chronic.

Excellent start!!!!! Come on the landers!!!

two away wins to start the competition

chiefs 27 - 30 highlanders
    brumbies 27 - 34 Rebels

Quade Cooper was superb I thought. Brumbies didn't come out in the second half, poor finishing from the Rebels gave Brumbies a sniff.

Didn't see the Chiefs game, will have to watch the highlights

• Advertisement

Quade Cooper was superb I thought. Brumbies didn't come out in the second half, poor finishing from the Rebels gave Brumbies a sniff.

Didn't see the Chiefs game, will have to watch the highlights

how did tom english manage to feck up that slide attempt?? one for the bloopers reel

Advertisement