Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I burn my Ryan Adams albums?

• 14-02-2019 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

So its looking like Ryan Adams exploited his "rockstar" status to take advantage of aspiring female artists sexually. So the question is should he be consigned to the league of dirty old perverts such as harvey weinstein or held up as a shining light of the hedonistic sex, drug and rock n roll lifestyle?

Should I burn my Ryan Adams Albums/delete mp3 files? 86 votes

YES
    45% 39 votes
    NO
    43% 37 votes
    Argument...concerning Morrisey
    11% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Anyone who's ever had a ride should be shunned by society.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

You should burn them because he's ****ing ****

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Summer of 69 was a brilliant record - don't burn that!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Ryan Adams. Brian Adams’s purvey, more rapey brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

buckwheat wrote: »
    You should burn them because he's ****ing ****

Your just jealous he got the ride!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Anyone who's ever had a ride should be shunned by society.

Anyone enjoying themselves likewise. Happy ridin bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Morrissey is a fùcking dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Your just jealous he got the ride!:rolleyes:

True

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd burn them anyway cos he's ****e and his music is poxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

buckwheat wrote: »
    True

I often wonder did covering taylor swifts 1989 get him anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Sure I still listen to some of Paul Gadd’s work, usually with a few drinks in me, and strictly using headphones...in case the fuzz hear and get the wrong idea and kick my door down.

Sick **** but had a few belting tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Hope everybody who feels like their favourite musicians need to be upstanding morally decent people are not also fans of pretty much the majority of 60s/70s bands...

From the live version...

I can see that you're thirteen years old
    No I don't want your I.D
    You look so lonesome and you're so far from home

But it's no hanging matter
    It's no capital crime

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Best do it to be sure. He could be innocent of all accusations but then he could also be GUILTY. Best to over react to such things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I posted this in his gig thread but this is probably a more appropriate place for it.
    If this is true then that stuff with the young girl is very scummy stuff and that threatening to kill himself if someone doesn't come to see him immediately is just straight up emotional blackmail and very scummy too. However why is nobody questioning the behaviour of a few of these women? Phoebe Bridgers described him as obsessive and emotionally abusive so she broke up with him which is the best thing to do but then she accepts an offer to tour Europe with him and goes alone to his hotel room? No he shouldn't be naked when she walks in but she shouldn't be there either. The Courtney Jaye I don't see what he did wrong the way it's wrote in the article. He came on to her and she says she wasn't interested but she still got into a bed with him? No sex took place according to her but why be in the bed with him at all if you were there to record music? Get the fúck out of the studio and leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The summer of 1991 in the disco

Slow setting

Paradise lost

Edit wrong Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 27,841 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Burn them from mp3 to CD.

Then decide what to do.

Deleting an mp3 isnt visual like putting CD into microwave.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

What?!! I have all of his albums! I love him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Should I burn all my Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, and Marvin Gaye albums because of their alleged dalliances with underage groupies in the 70's? There seems to be a different standard these days.

Ryan Adams has always had a reputation as an asshole. But that's never had any effect on my enjoyment of his albums.

But, oh, Cinderella
    All dressed up in all your boots and all your charms
    I'm not the fellow
    To protect you or to keep you from all your harm.

One of my favourite songs ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah, make me a copy of Love is Hell. Never got around to buying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

Thought I would chime in on this and may go a little off topic, Adams is an asshole, a talented prolific songwriter no doubt but an asshole all the same would have never pegged him for chatting up an underage girl, changes my entire opinion of him, he could be in big **** for this with the law and rightfully so, Going to be very hard for him to come back from it.

It brings me onto something else I’ve noticed though and maybe I’m going off topic a bit here, call it a general trend I notice in the world today, someone I know was talking about this earlier today saying Ryan Adams is a scumbag etc etc never liked him etc now this individual is often jumping on social justice campaigns online etc and getting up on the high horse and calling people out for their bad behavior but I know this person to be no saint himself and a sleaze with girls, he almost does the high horse stuff so people think he’s a great guy, virtue signalling basically but I’m thinking the absolute neck, so insincere to be calling out other people and your no saint yourself, it just irks me & I guarantee if you took a magnifying glass to an awful lot of people who get outraged by celebrity misbehavior you wouldn’t find squeaky clean people, a lot of these social justice warriors bug the **** out of me and I think half of them are up to dodgy **** themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Calltocall wrote: »
    Thought I would chime in on this and may go a little off topic, Adams is an asshole, a talented prolific songwriter no doubt but an asshole all the same would have never pegged him for chatting up an underage girl, changes my entire opinion of him, he could be in big **** for this with the law and rightfully so, Going to be very hard for him to come back from it.

It brings me onto something else I’ve noticed though and maybe I’m going off topic a bit here, call it a general trend I notice in the world today, someone I know was talking about this earlier today saying Ryan Adams is a scumbag etc etc never liked him etc now this individual is often jumping on social justice campaigns online etc and getting up on the high horse and calling people out for their bad behavior but I know this person to be no saint himself and a sleaze with girls, he almost does the high horse stuff so people think he’s a great guy, virtue signalling basically but I’m thinking the absolute neck, so insincere to be calling out other people and your no saint yourself, it just irks me & I guarantee if you took a magnifying glass to an awful lot of people who get outraged by celebrity misbehavior you wouldn’t find squeaky clean people, a lot of these social justice warriors bug the **** out of me and I think half of them are up to dodgy **** themselves.

Do as I say, not as I do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Would you burn a Caravaggio? Ryan Adams on the other hand is of no cultural importance at all so it's easier to make a value judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

been a fan of his music for 15 years. Class songwriter, fantastic musician with absolute talent to burn.

however, anyone that ever saw any of his shows will admit that he is a little ‘out there‘ as an individual. It’s not part of his act..

however too I’d hope that whatever I dunno impropriety or improprieties that have been alleged were involving consenting adults… creepy is one thing, and not cool, pestering not cool either, but anything of an underage variety is I’m sorry, unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Can I keep the whiskey town stuff? But seriously being a bit out there isn't a crime, from the available info the expoitation allegations could swing both ways.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Mickey Jackson is always on the radio

I thought there was some new allegation but seemingly this one back in Jan / Feb saw him cleared by the FBI…. That is pretty concrete…

so I can listen to his music, without being creeped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

well, if you need the ok from the FBI...

• Advertisement

No, just needed to know that he wasn’t that kind of bloke.

an absolute Q of respected female musicians whom he worked with and even ex-girlfriends came out and supported him.

Advertisement