Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Zoe, new wart?

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

denismc wrote: »
    Oops, I could have sworn this thread was about the Renault Zoe!

My bad!

My apologies for contributing to the off topic stuff. And from the above reactions, I reckon some people are just too thick to understand some basic logic / reasoning and keep throwing experiences up from some randomers on youtube, instead of trusting the numbers more from a reliable comparison site...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

denismc, at boards.ie electric forum any thread about specific model of car has to divert to all of the other cars on the market. On a good day they also cover usage of fog lamps and price of diesel at various pumps. And some good old diesel vs. BEV banter.

Oh yea, about the Zoe: The Peugeot 208 BEV will be a great competitor for it.

unkel wrote: »
    My apologies for contributing to the off topic stuff. And from the above reactions, I reckon some people are just too thick to understand some Unkel's logic / reasoning and keep throwing experiences up from some randomers on youtube, instead of trusting the numbers more from a reliable comparison site...

Fixed that for you ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is there a reason for electric cars being front wheel drive? I would have thought with no transmission to worry about it would have been simpler and cheaper to go RWD.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is there a reason for electric cars being front wheel drive? I would have thought with no transmission to worry about it would have been simpler and cheaper to go RWD.

FWD is cheaper because most ICE cars are FWD so requires less re-tooling of assemble lines, everything is assembled the same the only difference is that a battery is installed instead of fuel tank.

RWD makes a big difference to grip, FWD electrics can be a real pain in the ass when roads are damp and wet, the Nissan Leaf 40 Kwh with the extra torque is very annoying and I asked some people in work how they tolerate it and they said they just drive in eco all the time and go easy on the throttle lol.

The exception is the RWD BMW i3 and Model S and I am not sure whether the Model 3 will be RWD in basic spec.

Look at the youtube videos of the Nissan Leaf assembly, it's on the same assembly line as Nissan's Petrol and Diesel cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭denismc

unkel wrote: »
    My apologies for contributing to the off topic stuff. And from the above reactions, I reckon some people are just too thick to understand some basic logic / reasoning and keep throwing experiences up from some randomers on youtube, instead of trusting the numbers more from a reliable comparison site...
    samih wrote: »
    denismc, at boards.ie electric forum any thread about specific model of car has to divert to all of the other cars on the market. On a good day they also cover usage of fog lamps and price of diesel at various pumps. And some good old diesel vs. BEV banter.

Oh yea, about the Zoe: The Peugeot 208 BEV will be a great competitor for it.

To be clear, my post was tongue in cheek, if it wasn't for the knowledge on this forum I probably wouldn't be driving an E.V.
    So keep it coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

FWD is cheaper because most ICE cars are FWD so requires less re-tooling of assemble lines, everything is assembled the same the only difference is that a battery is installed instead of fuel tank.

RWD makes a big difference to grip, FWD electrics can be a real pain in the ass when roads are damp and wet, the Nissan Leaf 40 Kwh with the extra torque is very annoying and I asked some people in work how they tolerate it and they said they just drive in eco all the time and go easy on the throttle lol.

The exception is the RWD BMW i3 and Model S and I am not sure whether the Model 3 will be RWD in basic spec.

Look at the youtube videos of the Nissan Leaf assembly, it's on the same assembly line as Nissan's Petrol and Diesel cars.

So for the new vw electric platform it's likely to be RWD,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    So for the new vw electric platform it's likely to be RWD,

Hallelujah !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭reboot

Just bought the Zoe battery from Renault,£2600.22kwhr.

• What year and month is the Zoe as they determine purchase price off the age of the car?

• Advertisement

Nov 2015.

RCI contacted me with the offer back in Oct. I'd had the battery tested and all cells read 98%.

Perhaps this may be in part never rapid charging,and regularly overnight charging with a Granny cable,drawing only 10 Amps.?

I mentioned the battery purchase to the guy in the EV breakers yard,he reckoned he would value it at £2300. So I guess I did OK. Car range is about the same after 6 years, over 100 miles in Summer and with the cold reducing the internal battery resistance by 20% for lipo cells, ie 20 miles, in winter a charge is 80 miles.

• looked at from another angle: if that pack has 22kwh of capacity and the cost for new batteries is claimed to be about 100 euro per KWh then you paid new price for a 7 year old battery.

I don't know the price for a new Zoe battery from Renault,that would operate with the BMS,but I'd be surprised if it was less than £4k or £5k, but the main reason for buying it was to stop the monthly rental, its still guaranteed another 2 years..

Old Zoe.Old wart,will it ever go away, ever go away,even with new charge points?

Like death and taxes,the BCI problem,( Battery charging impossible), I fear is hear to stay.

As most know by now the Zoe can be very fussy when it comes to earth impedance, and over a certain reading will not accept a charge. My understanding is the Leaf parked beside me and happily charging away,while I can't, gets its earth from its chassis? Strange engineering arrangement as both EVs are manufactured by the ,then Renault Nissan alliance.

I appreciate this is going over old territory, but I'm assuming that with the new Charging points,replacing the EBG disaster tendering, nothing will change,with the earth impedance staying the same,as it's exterior to the CP?

I've read that the Zoe may be unable to charge above 140 ohms impedance ,NIE read my home CP impedance at 500 ohms,which they attempted to improve, but as long as they get a figure of 200 ohms,that's fine by their specifications for home installations.

The engineers ( he really was one) parting comment to me was," You bought the wrong car mate"

Advertisement